Search Unity

☁ Weather Maker ☁ AAA Clouds, Sky, Weather, Water, Volumetric Light & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jjxtra, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Willbkool_FPCS

Willbkool_FPCS

Go into WM Prefabs in the Project folder and drag the WeatherMakerWaterPrefab into your scene. I did this in a past project when I was using a different Weather/Time of Day asset.

unity_dev3194 likes this.
  2. unity_dev3194

unity_dev3194

Hey, thanks for responding! I did try doing that, but then the water wouldn't show up on camera. I also get a bunch of errors on Play telling me "LightManagerScript" and "CommandBufferManagerScript" are required.

upload_2019-1-31_9-22-55.png

3. Willbkool_FPCS

Willbkool_FPCS

OK, hope the developer can point you in the right direction. It worked for me..:eek:

unity_dev3194 likes this.
  4. phattanapon

phattanapon

I've watch the volumetric cloud tutorial, very useful!
    I'm about to build a simple flight simulator so the fly through part at the end is very interesting.
    However,seeing from the above, the cloud height is quite uniform in the video.
    I'm wondering if the tower-like cloud like Cumulonimbus is possible to produce?
    Thank you very much.

5. jjxtra

jjxtra

The minimum needed to use Weather Maker (including water) is:
    - WeatherMakerPrefab in scene.
    - WeatherMakerScript (root of prefab) is active.
    - WeatherMakerCommandBufferManagerScript (root of prefab) is active.
    - WeatherMakerDayNightCycleScript (WeatherMakerPrefab -> DayNightCycle) is active. You can set day and night speed to 0 if you aren't using dynamic time of day. You can set the ambient mode to Unity to use the player specified light settings.
    - WeatherMakerLightManagerScript (WeatherMakerPrefab -> LightManager) is active.
    - WeatherMakerCelestialObjectScript attached to your sun and moons. These also need to be assigned in the light manager script.
    - Everything else can be deactivated, but not deleted.

6. jjxtra

jjxtra

I am looking into different cloud layers, cloud types and more. No ETA currently.

Until then, you can play around with the cloud profile settings for cloud coverage and cloud type, along with the volumetric cloud layer profiles for cloud coverage and type.

hopeful likes this.
  7. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Hi Jeff @jjxtra, I've added weather maker to my open world and must say I love everything about this asset, great job! One question though: as my world is rather huge I have a far clipping plane of 7500 and was wondering if weather maker has some atmospheric scattering build it to soften the edges of my world. Any pointers?

8. jjxtra

jjxtra

Yes you can turn on the fog and then play with the fog density, fog start depth, etc.

You'll need to re-update to 5.0.2 to get the fog start depth.

9. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Jeff,

I've run into a little problem and I'm not sure how to fix it. I think I've seen the fix, but I can't find it again, if I saw it at all. :confused:

When using Volume Clouds my trees are changing to white. These are just unity trees. If I use non-volume clouds it doesn't happen. Any ideas?:)

Same scene and view with different clouds. I tried different setting of camera depth from -2 to 5 with no change.
    Non-Vol
    non-vol clouds.JPG

Vol Clouds
    vol clouds.JPG

10. jjxtra

jjxtra

Does this happen in demo scene water? I am not seeing it. What Unity versions? Are those billboard trees?

11. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

I’ll try the demo scene.

It’s the latest 2017 update, just downloaded last night.
    It’s with vegetation studio and billboards are selected, but I was up close to the tree so it wasn’t only billboards being effected. I will test with billboards off to verify if that is the problem.

I just shut down so I’ll run some more testing tomorrow.

This was a new project and scene, I’m working on a desert landscape and when I added WM I got this after turning on the vol clouds.

I’ll try deleting and downloading WM again to make sure I didn’t get something corrupted.

I’ll let you know what I find out.

12. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Jeff,

It is fixed! I must have gotten a corrupt file in the first download. I also noticed that all of my cloud were all solid white too. I ran the demo and prefabs were missing but no problem with the white leaves though.

I deleted WM and downloaded again, seeing also that you put out another update (thanks for that :))

Running the same scene and no more clouds turning the trees white. Sorry to have raised the alarm, but everything is back and looking better than ever!!!

Same scene with the re-downloaded and updated weather maker. I absolutely love your clouds, you have come so far since I purchased this in 2017, this has truly become amazing! A complete atmosphere package!
    clouds fixed.JPG

13. jjxtra

jjxtra

So glad it is working with the re-import. Similarly to rebooting a machine, that is the first route I go when Unity acts up :)

Please post more of your game and a link when it is ready to buy, seriously :)

dsilverthorn likes this.
  14. zoltanBorbas

zoltanBorbas

Thank you very much for supporting spherical null zones, i relay appreciate it!

Thanks again and for the great asset!

Kind regards!

dsilverthorn likes this.
  15. jjxtra

jjxtra

You are very welcome. If you have time to write a review (if you haven't already) it is always appreciated, and of course please continue to post shots of your game and a link when it is ready to buy!

16. jjxtra

jjxtra

New ray march parameters in Weather Maker 5.1.0 (pending review on asset store) will help performance and provide better cloud detail. Ray march slows down when a cloud is hit and speeds up when it exits the cloud.

upload_2019-2-5_15-50-55.png

17. jjxtra

jjxtra

Looks like the 5.1.0 update is "stuck". I've asked Unity to look into it and will post back once I have more information.

dsilverthorn likes this.
  18. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

19. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

I was hoping you would make a video.
    It’s beautiful. Got my mind thinking on where I can use it. :)

Can the colors change too?

20. jjxtra

jjxtra

Color, animation speed and scale at a minimum will be customizable.

dsilverthorn likes this.
  21. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Awesome!
    Looking forward to it!!!!

22. jjxtra

jjxtra

Due to a legal issue, I am pushing the aurora borealis release back one week. Sorry for the inconvenience...

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  23. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Thanks for letting us know.
    We can wait. ;)

24. jjxtra

jjxtra

It's been an over 60+ hour rewrite from scratch but the new aurora borealis is almost ready!

upload_2019-2-15_12-0-58.png

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  25. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Wow
    We appreciate your dedication!

OdderOtter likes this.
  26. jjxtra

jjxtra

Aurora promo video. Should hit the asset store later tonight.

27. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Great job Jeff!

Now all we need is a meteor shower to go with the Northern Lights!:)

This looks really awesome, I can't wait to try it out. Looks worth the wait!

hopeful likes this.
  28. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Did some playing around with WM on my desert test scene. Then added in the night and new aurora. These are straight screenshots with no post processing.
    2019-Feb-16_235745.png 2019-Feb-17_002814.png

Mark_01, StevenPicard and hopeful like this.
  29. jjxtra

jjxtra

AMAZING! Please send steam link where I can buy this ASAP :)

30. jjxtra

jjxtra

Shooting stars are on the roadmap for 1H of 2019!

31. Deleted User

Deleted User

Strato-XGames: Cloud surfing, Wind Sail Racing, Air-Board Races, floating stadiums, all future tech style!

32. jjxtra

jjxtra

Just a helpful tip for sharp clouds, you can set WeatherMakerPrefab -> FullScreenEffects -> Clouds -> Temporal Reprojection Material -> Blur Mode to a 1 for very crisp clouds, with possible artifacts for fast moving clouds or lightning at night.

Temporal Reprojection Sharp Mode:

upload_2019-2-19_9-16-34.png

Temporal Reprojection Blur Mode:

upload_2019-2-19_9-16-50.png

33. Cleverlie

Cleverlie

what's the music in the background of this video?? really nice, I've used weather maker since 2017 and I love how it is growing, thank you for this asset.

dsilverthorn likes this.
  34. jjxtra

jjxtra

35. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I'll have to be honest. When I first bought Weather Maker a couple years ago I wasn't too fond of it but now it just blows me away. You've really taken this to the next level and shown great commitment to it. It's looking more AAA quality with each new release. Good work!

36. jjxtra

jjxtra

Thanks. I am no artist, but have tried to slowly build and improve with feedback from you all :) Glad you are enjoying the asset.

37. jjxtra

jjxtra

I'm pleased to announced that Weather Maker 5.2.1 is out and has removed UNet integration in favor of Mirror networking integration. Learn more here: https://github.com/vis2k/Mirror. Please see the integrations section of the readme.txt in Weather Maker for more details.

Mirror is great as it is open source and uses most of the same classes and type names as UNet, without the buginess and slowness :)

38. bigmonkgames

bigmonkgames

I'm using and old version of Weather Maker. Implemented Unity Post Processing and noticed that snow fall really kills frame rates. Rain and everything else stays rock steady. Probably going to backup and upgrade the Weather Maker version. Anyone know off hand if snow has been optimized since version 2.7.6?

39. jjxtra

jjxtra

It's been optimized a bit yes, but having particle collisions on is the likely culprit. Just backup your project, then remove all weather maker files and prefabs from your scene before the update.

40. bigmonkgames

bigmonkgames

Pretty sure I disabled collision in both the prefab and the particle system. I may have missed something though. Backing up now anyway but will go through it all again before I upgrade. Thanks for the upgrade tip.

41. jjxtra

jjxtra

You can always do a new project import latest and try the demo scene. Might be less work.

bigmonkgames likes this.
  42. bigmonkgames

bigmonkgames

Seems upgrading fixed the issue. Feel like it was a setting just not updating. Is as smooth as other effects now.

43. jjxtra

jjxtra

Good to know, let me know if you have any questions about the update, going from 2.X to 5.X is a big change. Please be sure to check out the volumetric clouds and aurora. Lots of tutorials added in readme.txt.

Willbkool_FPCS and bigmonkgames like this.
  44. jjxtra

jjxtra

Another update today which adds a fog gradient color to the fog profile. This allows you to tint your fog based on sun position in sky. Look for the update in the asset store today!

45. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Good morning Jeff,
    Quick question.
    Is there a way to make the bottom of the clouds less uniform for very low clouds?
    They look great up high, but if I bring them below a mountain peak it is just a straight line at the bottom of the clouds.

If it can't be done, I'll just keep them above the mountains.

46. jjxtra

jjxtra

I admit I haven't tested them with mountains, I will look into it...

dsilverthorn likes this.
  47. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Cool, thanks.

It would be nice to peaks hidden by clouds and popping out as clouds move by.

48. jjxtra

jjxtra

Weather Maker 5.2.1 refresh now available with new fog profile gradient color options, as well as night sky power and dusk multiplier to help control how fast the night sky fades in and how much the night sky shows over dawn/dusk colors.

49. jjxtra

jjxtra

I will send an update later today, another 5.2.1 refresh that should help with this. It's still not perfect, I need to figure out how to reduce noise near edges, but it's better than it was.

dsilverthorn and StevenPicard like this.
  50. jjxtra

jjxtra

Helpful tip: Increase the cloud min and max height to get more scattered clouds.

upload_2019-2-25_14-35-19.png