Search Unity

☁ Weather Maker ☁ AAA Clouds, Sky, Weather, Water, Volumetric Light & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jjxtra, Jun 30, 2016.

1. jjxtra

jjxtra

This will be fixed in next update, coming out very soon, resubmitted to Unity today, they should release early next week or sooner if we are lucky.

2. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Ah cool. Not a rush. Have a wonderful weekend and holiday

3. jjxtra

jjxtra

It's not perfect and I need to probably whisp the clouds a bit more and add bottom whispier clouds, but it looks OK. There is absolutely no post processing either. This is for whoever was asking about a storm / dark cloud demo. Also camtasia dithers and bands badly, sorry about that.

4. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Awesome. Very impressive.

5. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Merry Christmas everyone!
    Merry Christmas!.jpg
    I had fun putting this card together and thought I would share it with everyone. :)

Snow and haze by Weather Maker
    Landscape by Landscape Builder and World Creator 1
    Clouds by Fog Volume 3
    Trees by Forest Vision

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
    Willbkool_FPCS, Mark_01 and jjxtra like this.
  6. jjxtra

jjxtra

Thanks so much for taking the time! Happy holidays to you and yours!

dsilverthorn likes this.
  7. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Thanks Jeff!
    Hope you and your family have a Wonderful Holiday!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  8. PixelPounder

PixelPounder

3 Quick Questions...
    1. Is this asset able to have our Character/Player be buoyant and float in the water?
    2. Can the Character/Player swim in the water?
    3. If the Character/Player walks through a stream or a puddle... will it splash?

9. jjxtra

jjxtra

You would have to provide 1 and 3. For #2 there is an underwater mode with a default splash sound and underwater loop sound.

10. PixelPounder

PixelPounder

Not sure what you mean I would have to provide #1 and #3... are you talking about me providing the player/character? If so, I realize the player would be provided by me... I figured that was obvious... I know the asset doesn't come with players/characters... The question is if the asset can make it happen or have a feature for the things I mentioned. So, if I put a player in my scene... and he's walking around... and he goes into the water... does the asset have a buoyancy feature built in? And if he's walking through a puddle... can #3 happen?

11. jjxtra

jjxtra

You would need to supply the buoyancy and splash effects yourself.

12. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Any idea on when the update is going to release?

I’m really looking forward to it :)

13. jjxtra

jjxtra

Later this afternoon, I am just enabling some YouTube videos before I press the button to make it go live. Check in 2-4 hours.

14. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

You are AWESOME!!

Thanks and Happy New Year!

15. Mark_01

Mark_01

Also, Thanks and Happy New Year :)

16. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

>>- BIG UPDATE! Please backup your project and remove Weather Maker before updating.

Does this mean to remove WM from the PROJECT, or just in the HIERARCHY?

Thanks. And congrats on the release, these moments can always be stressful so YAY for you!

17. jjxtra

jjxtra

From the project, I have re-organized many of the shaders, scripts and scriptable objects and you will get duplicate errors if you don't do this, and probably compile errors.

18. jjxtra

jjxtra

Just heads up everyone, Weather Maker 5.0 is live with volumetric clouds!!! Enjoy :)

hopeful, nirvanajie, Mark_01 and 2 others like this.
  19. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Cool, thanks for letting me know

20. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Is there an event that fires when the the day ends? I see that there is a checkbox that keeps the asset on the same day, however I would like a week+ So if there is an event I can check the date and affect it as I need, as opposed to checking once a minute.

Also: I just watched the videos with the volumetric clouds, IMPRESSIVE.

21. jjxtra

jjxtra

No, but I can add something like this in the future. For now you will have to get the day night cycle time and store the previous value and check in your script update method to see if there is a change.

22. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Ok, thanks for letting me know so quickly.

EDIT: In case others want/need the info Found the effective moment in UpdateTimeOfDay (WeatherMakerDateNightCycleProfileScript) which is called via the Update method in WeatherMakerDayNightCycleManagerScript.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  23. jjxtra

jjxtra

Helpful tip for new volumetric clouds shadows:

Volumetric cloud shadows are supported with Unity screen space shadows, but be aware that shadows will fade at distance by default. This can be removed by doing the following: Find UnityShadowLibrary.cginc in the Unity install directory (UnityInstallDirectory/Editor/Data/CGIncludes folder). Find this method and change it, then restart Unity.

half UnityComputeShadowFade(float fadeDist)
    {
    return 0.0; //return saturate(fadeDist * _LightShadowData.z + _LightShadowData.w);
    }

Mark_01 likes this.
  24. OdderOtter

OdderOtter

The new volumetric clouds are so darn pretty and I love them!

I'm using a different skybox / asset to control time of day and I'd really like to supplement it with your clouds but I'm struggling to figure out how to "dettach" the clouds from the time of day / gradient color changes that Weather Maker is making.

I figured out how to pare down to just the pieces I needed to get the clouds to render / render in front of the skybox but it looks like the script keeps yanking back the lighting controls from the skybox to a gradient when I want the clouds to be colored by the dynamic skybox.

Any tips or pointers?

25. Korsigon

Korsigon

I am using Unity 2018.3 on Windows 10 and Weather Maker version 5.0.0 - I get the warning
    'NetworkBehaviour' is obsolete: 'The high level API classes are deprecated and will be removed in the future.'
    Further checking for the cause, Unity decided to deprecate UNet in the future based on this support article:
    https://support.unity3d.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001252086-UNet-Deprecation-FAQ
    This is just FYI , hoping that Unity provides its new networking layer soon.

26. jjxtra

jjxtra

I plan on removing UNet in Q1-Q2 of 2019 and replacing it with mirror networking instead.

OdderOtter likes this.
  27. jjxtra

jjxtra

Ok, I am re-uploading version 5.0 with a new ambient mode to just use the Unity settings and ignore the day night cycle profile. It will be the last item in the ambient mode dropdown on the day night cycle profile. Just redownload the asset in about an hour.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  28. OdderOtter

OdderOtter

Thank you so much! That's an even better solution than I anticipated, you're the best. :)

29. jjxtra

jjxtra

You are welcome. If you have time to write a review on the asset store page it is always appreciated. Let me know if you run into any issues.

OdderOtter and Mark_01 like this.
  30. drcfrx

drcfrx

@jjxtra Excellent updates, thank you Jeff, your asset is maturing very well =)
    I have several questions if you don't mind:
    (I'm on Unity 2017.4.17f1 with Gaia, Vegetation Studio, and CTS (not applied yet))

- Fog: trying to customise a Fog profile, I can't get anything anywhere close to the density of fog you have in the Fog video tutorial. Even on exponential, the fog stays very clear. On some tests, the little fog I had was disolved the moment clouds appeared. Any idea where I should look beside the profile settings to have more fog and possible problem with the clouds?

- Also when dark clouds appears, there is a large dark circular area around my player on the ground surface, that moves with it and that is very visible since the rest of the lan dscape stays illuminated as in clear day. Is it normal? And if it is, is there a way to enlarge it because as it is it doesn't look good at all?

- When it rains, I don't have water splash or ripple at all. Where should I check please?

Thank you in advance =)

31. jjxtra

jjxtra

For the fog, ensure a max fog factor of 1 for thick fog.

For the clouds, in the readme.txt file is information on how to spread cloud shadows out to the far plane. Unity does not make this easy unfortunately, I've been bugging them about this for a while now. The short is that you must modify an internal Unity shader every time you update or install a new Unity (bleck!).

Volumetric cloud shadows are supported with Unity screen space shadows, but be aware that shadows will fade at distance by default. This can be removed by doing the following: Find UnityShadowLibrary.cginc in the Unity install directory (UnityInstallDirectory/Editor/Data/CGIncludes folder). Find this method and change it, then restart Unity.

Code (csharp):
    2. half UnityComputeShadowFade(float fadeDist)
    3. {
    4.     return 0.0;     //return saturate(fadeDist * _LightShadowData.z + _LightShadowData.w);
    5. }
    You can turn on precipitation collision in the performance profile to get rain particle collisions. There is also the puddle texture which should show underneath you as the rain intensity increases. If it is not showing there is a problem with physics raycast maybe? Do the puddles show in the demo scene?

Mark_01 likes this.
  32. drcfrx

drcfrx

No they don't show in the water demo scene either (and same in another empty project).

I had read the UnityShadowLibrary.cginc hack, but I didn't identified the dark circle with this ^^
    Is this modification going to change anything else? (Im not too tech savy :/)

Thank you for your answers and help =)

33. jjxtra

jjxtra

The modification will cause shadows to show in the distance from any object, not just clouds.

The puddles are showing for me in demo scene and water scene. Can you try redownloading the asset and try again?

34. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

I'm getting the circle of shade around my character that moves with the player even on a clear day too.

It can be very distracting to the scene when it is sunny. How do I remove the darkened area?
    I'm just getting into the new WM and it looks really good! Worth the wait!

35. jjxtra

jjxtra

Is your project small enough to share? Or can you upload a screen capture?

36. drcfrx

drcfrx

In the demo scene and water I do have rain splashes and ripples (only right besides the player position) but no puddle (unless its super subtle) and in my main scene, now that I changed the performance profile I do have splashes but no ripple (and no puddle). I'll double check the demo scenes again to see if I missed something. Any lead maybe?

oh btw, I think the tooltips of Transition Duration and Hold Duration in Profile overrides are swapped (I could be wrong, english is not my native speech, but I wanted to tell you just in case)

Thanks

37. jjxtra

jjxtra

There's no puddles, just ripples close to the camera, and splashes for the particles so that looks like you are good to go.

I double checked the transition duration and hold, they look good to me, but let me know if you are confused by the wording and I will take another look.

38. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Yes. I’m doing a test with it before full integration so there is no much in the scene.
    I’ll send you a link to the file today.
    Thanks

39. jjxtra

jjxtra

Sounds good, email support@digitalruby.com

40. garyhaus

garyhaus

FYI - new version on asset store 5.01 still crashes Unity 2018.3 on OSX.

41. jjxtra

jjxtra

This is a known issue and I've sent Unity a bug report. Still trying to strip the project down to see what the problem is. Strangely it does not crash on Windows...

42. garyhaus

garyhaus

Just trying to keep you up to date. Will keep on 2018.2 for now

43. drcfrx

drcfrx

Any way to modifiy the shadow bias for objects self shadows? Modifying it on the Sun settings modify only the object's shadow on the ground but not on itself apparently (works fine with a normal Direct Light). (Using Unity 2017.4.17f1 with Gaia, Vegetation Studio, and CTS, and with modified UnityShadowLibrary.cginc as per your instructions)

Thanks in advance!

44. OdderOtter

OdderOtter

Done did it. :)

45. jjxtra

jjxtra

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, can you post a screenshot maybe?

46. drcfrx

drcfrx

Here is what I have with WM light (Flower from NatureManufacture Meadows pack)

There is the same kind of shadow issue with a standard Directionnal Light (but much less) and it's easily fixed by augmenting Shadow bias at around 0.22 like so:

Like I said, trying to adjust the Shadow Bias on WM Sun doesn't work (it just affect the flower's shadow on the ground, but not on the flower itself)

47. jjxtra

jjxtra

Does deactivating the shadow map script on the Sun object fix it?

48. luniac

luniac

demo scene loads pink, tried chrome, edge, internet explorer.

49. jjxtra

jjxtra

Are you using WebGL? That is not yet supported in the volumetric clouds version. I am working on supporting it, but it is not ready yet.

50. drcfrx

drcfrx

No, no change at all.
    (Just to be sure I tried with other objects, speedtree plants, another author's matress, etc, and the same happen, black self shadows)
    Thanks