Search Unity

☁ Weather Maker ☁ AAA Clouds, Sky, Weather, Water, Volumetric Light & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jjxtra, Jun 30, 2016.

1. jjxtra

jjxtra

The apk is pretty old. I need to update. Will post a new one soon. The fog has a downsample option too that can help on mid to lower end devices. I’ll turn it to .5 for the next apk.

2. lolclol

lolclol

sure

3. Da-Icon

Da-Icon

Hi Jjxtra,

I just want to chip in - I have also noted that some of the darker weather/sunlight - At first i thought this was a big issue. but I have noticed that later in the season the "sun" is much stronger - change to a summer date and you will find the light much brighter. So some of the dark is a seasonal thing (blame his awesomeness for orbital brightness) beware adjusting brightness and double check your sun in the summer times.

4. Da-Icon

Da-Icon

Code (CSharp):
    1. public WeatherMakerDayNightCycleProfileScript DayTicker;
    2. //this chunk below is in update
    3. TheTimeAndDate.TodaysDate_Day = DayTicker.Day;
    4.         TheTimeAndDate.TodaysDate_Month = DayTicker.Month;
    5.         TheTimeAndDate.TodaysDate_Year = DayTicker.Year;

This returns - at the start of play - the correct values for the beginning date but at the change of the day, nothing happens.
    what is the correct place to tap the day month year values?

5. Da-Icon

Da-Icon

I cant get the date to change as the day scycles over to a new day (dates) gfx work fine.

Code (CSharp):
    1. //this to grab the vars
    2. public WeatherMakerDayNightCycleProfileScript DayTicker;
    4. //this is in update to keep them assigned.
    5. TheTimeAndDate.TodaysDate_Day = DayTicker.Day;
    6.         TheTimeAndDate.TodaysDate_Month = DayTicker.Month;
    7.         TheTimeAndDate.TodaysDate_Year = DayTicker.Year;
    when the day turns over they do not change.

where to i tap the live versions?

Im posting this again because it looked like my last one "vanished" so if you see this post as a duplicate im sorry

6. jjxtra

jjxtra

There is a property on the profile script that tells the day to increment at midnight or not. Let me know if you have trouble finding it.

7. Da-Icon

Da-Icon

I did find it and it is checked. Still getting null motion on the numbers. I have verified - I am connected to the script (WeatherMakerDayNightCycleProfile_Default) When, I change the starting date. it does change in my game.
    Ex. i set it to a later date: when i start the game it DOES reflect the NEW STARTING date.. but it does not rotate at midnight. I am open to any suggestions. If you want to team viewer this thing we can.. I just want to get past this hurdle

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  8. jjxtra

jjxtra

Sent an update to asset store, version 3.9.1 which tweaks the fog shader lights and seems to have resolved the performance problem. Let me know if you see the same. I was able to get 30fps on my iPhone 6S with terrain, fog and clouds + rain.

mmaclaurin likes this.
  9. mmaclaurin

mmaclaurin

Excellent this definitely fixed a hit I was taking on Fog.

I am getting 24fps currently with microsplat terrain (about 3 512px terrains are visible) with water, reflections, and fog. Rain drops me to 20 and below. I am using microsplat advanced features like streams and triplanar but no tesselation.

There's also an interesting interaction between lights in WM and Microsplat terrain. A lot of detail disappears from Microsplat if only the WM sun is illuminating it. If i turn on my normal directional light I get the detail back.

Didn't have a lot of time this weekend but I'll keep plugging away at it.

I wonder if there could be a "master switch" on volumetric effects? Having sky + water tightly integrated is fantastic but something is pushing me over budget. Previously with Hydroform and Enviro I had about 24fps but I think that WM can go faster if I can find all the things to turn down.

Have you looked at Microsplat interaction? I think this is going to be a winning combination once I have them all tuned up but WM is pretty complex so it might take me a while to figure out on my own,.

10. jjxtra

jjxtra

Try turning the mist threshold up to 1 and turning collision off for precipitation. That should greatly improve your rain performance.

Let me know if you find anything on the directional light. I am just using a Sun object with a standard directional light. Maybe it's a shadow issue? Does it happen with clouds? The clouds will reduce shadow strength which might be part of the appearance change...?

For the fog you can turn "Enable Fog Lights" off to disable fog volumetric effects. Or you can keep it on and turn the max light count constant in the light manager down. You may need to rebuild all shaders if you do this.

I have done megasplat integration but not microsplat, I will have a look when I find time.

Let me know if this helped at all and post back if you need more help.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    mmaclaurin likes this.
  11. mmaclaurin

mmaclaurin

Thank you! Setting up some tests now - everything checks out but where is the "Enable Fog Lights" switch? I looked in the Fog Script, Fog Material, and Light Manager...?

12. mmaclaurin

mmaclaurin

Also, just noticed (!) this trace in the console -

Tiled GPU perf. warning: RenderTexture color surface (512x512) was not cleared/discarded. See TiledGPUPerformanceWarning.ColorSurface label in Profiler for info
    UnityEngine.Camera:Render()
    DigitalRuby.WeatherMaker.WeatherMakerReflectionScript:RenderReflectionInternal(ReflectionCameraInfo, Transform, Vector3, Single, StereoTargetEyeMask, RenderTexture) (at Assets/WeatherMaker/Prefab/Scripts/Water/WeatherMakerReflectionScript.cs:281)
    DigitalRuby.WeatherMaker.WeatherMakerReflectionScript:RenderReflection(ReflectionCameraInfo, Transform, Vector3, Single) (at Assets/WeatherMaker/Prefab/Scripts/Water/WeatherMakerReflectionScript.cs:210)
    DigitalRuby.WeatherMaker.WeatherMakerReflectionScript:RenderReflectionCamera(ReflectionCameraInfo) (at Assets/WeatherMaker/Prefab/Scripts/Water/WeatherMakerReflectionScript.cs:663)
    DigitalRuby.WeatherMaker.WeatherMakerReflectionScript:QueueReflection(Camera) (at Assets/WeatherMaker/Prefab/Scripts/Water/WeatherMakerReflectionScript.cs:153)
    DigitalRuby.WeatherMaker.WeatherMakerReflectionScript:OnWillRenderObject() (at Assets/WeatherMaker/Prefab/Scripts/Water/WeatherMakerReflectionScript.cs:432)

13. mmaclaurin

mmaclaurin

One more question!! (love the asset, btw)

I noticed that I can attach the ocean object to my boat and it works perfectly as an infinite ocean (thanks to world space UV, I think...) ....but I do get an error that I should not be "rotating a null fog volume" - it works great, but why the error? Water prefab does not seem to have a fog volume in it, either..?

14. FiveFingerStudios

FiveFingerStudios

I want to add rain to one of my scenes, but I don't want it to be dynamic (start and stop) and I don't want the sun controlled by weather maker....is this possible?

Also, since I'm making a VR game, I need to get as much performance out of it as possible...can I just run one or two scripts and turn the rest off?

15. jjxtra

jjxtra

Check the fog profile object on the fog script.

16. jjxtra

jjxtra

You can disable most of the stuff. If you don't want the day night cycle moving stuff, set the speed properties to 0 in the day night profile. I would suggest to leave the script itself on as it does do some other light calculations.

17. jjxtra

jjxtra

The water prefab does have a null fog volume in it (fog shall not show under water) so make sure the water has no rotation applied.

Full underwater effects and audio are coming in a future version.

18. jjxtra

jjxtra

This is a known issue: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...-doing-graphics-dot-blit-on-emulated-graphics

If it is not hurting performance you can safely ignore.

19. jjxtra

jjxtra

Hello all,

I've submitted version 3.9.2 which should fix the single-pass-multi-view VR problem on oculus VR. If anyone is able to test with their device and let me know if it's working for them I'd appreciate it. I have an oculus GO I just bought and it was working.

The one exception is water reflections, I still need to figure out why oculus have problem with those in single pass mode.

20. mmaclaurin

mmaclaurin

Hi there - still testing the options you sent me - one interim question: if I turn off fog lights, does the fog stop reacting to light entirely?

I'm hoping that I can still have haze that reacts to light without the volumetric cost, like enviro and TOD (hopefully with Mie scattering, etc.) - is this implemented in WM?

I may be able to turn volumetrics on once I tune the rest of the params for performance, but non-volumetric haze would be a really good option.

21. jjxtra

jjxtra

The fog will still react to sun and moon with fog lights off, but not point/spot/area lights. This is definitely sufficient for day time scenes. If you have a night time scene, then you may want to switch it on.

22. mmaclaurin

mmaclaurin

Cool - I must have switched off something I shouldn't have...more later

23. Da-Icon

Da-Icon

Hello, I tried to combine Weathermaker with uRTS -

it doesnt say that it is replacing any scripts... but either way Weathermaker first or uRTS first i get these errors

Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets/WeatherMaker/Prefab/Scripts/Extensions/WeatherMakerExtensionCtsScript.cs(32,6): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `CTS' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?
    2. Assets/WeatherMaker/Prefab/Scripts/Extensions/WeatherMakerExtensionCtsScript.cs(52,33): error CS0115: `DigitalRuby.WeatherMaker.WeatherMakerExtensionCtsScript.OnUpdateRain(float)' is marked as an override but no suitable method found to override
    3. Assets/WeatherMaker/Prefab/Scripts/Extensions/WeatherMakerExtensionCtsScript.cs(57,33): error CS0115: `DigitalRuby.WeatherMaker.WeatherMakerExtensionCtsScript.OnUpdateSnow(float)' is marked as an override but no suitable method found to override
    5. Assets/WeatherMaker/Prefab/Scripts/Extensions/WeatherMakerExtensionCtsScript.cs(62,33): error CS0115: `DigitalRuby.WeatherMaker.WeatherMakerExtensionCtsScript.OnUpdateSeason(float)' is marked as an override but no suitable method found to override
    any ideas on how to resolve this without breaking weathermaker?
    Reimporting Weathermaker does not resolve this either.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  24. jjxtra

jjxtra

Did you at one point have CTS in your project? Is it sill in there? If it is not in there, remove the CTS_PRESENT from your player pre-processor settings.

25. jjxtra

jjxtra

As part of the vegetation studio integration, I am working on a weather zone system and a way to use pieces of weather maker individually without a huge prefab object.

Instead of using the weather maker prefab, you will just need to drag in a weather maker light manager which will have the day night cycle (which can be deactivated if needed), along with a sun and moon object, which also can be deactivated. That will be the bare minimum needed to use weather maker. The weather maker prefab will of course still be supported, but will be more of a legacy way to do things. The weather manager will also still require the weather maker prefab for now.

With the new system, you can then drag in a lot of different prefabs depending on what you want to do. You can drag in precipitation, sky sphere, lightning, clouds, water, fog areas, global fog, etc. and each can be their own separate object outside of the giant prefab.

As you can imagine this is requiring some refactoring of the code, but I want to make sure it's done right, so I won't release it until I am very happy with how it works and that it will last for years to come.

Thanks for being patient with me.

Mark_01 and StevenPicard like this.
  26. alex_m2000_cl

alex_m2000_cl

Hi.

Congrats for this amazing asset. I have a question:

I am using the light clouds profile and i want to make the clouds move faster. Where is the parameter (if there is one) on the inspector to adjust ?. i want to speed up just a little. Thanks.

27. jjxtra

jjxtra

Should be a noise velocity property on the cloud profile layer. Let me know if you have trouble finding it.

28. derkoi

derkoi

Hi,

Are there any specific mobile optimised settings I should be setting?

29. jjxtra

jjxtra

You probably want to disable particle collisions for mid to low-end mobile, especially if your environment is complex.

If you are seeing performance problems, you can try the following:
    - Set mist threshold to 1 for the particle systems, look for the property on the RainPrefab object (WeatherMakerPrefab -> Precipitation -> RainPrefab). Can do the same for the others if you use them.
    - Disable fog noise (set NoiseScale to 0 on fog profile)
    - Turn off volumetric fog lights (EnableFogLights field on fog profile)
    - Turn off fog sun shafts (set full screen fog profile sun shaft sample count to 0)
    - Set downsample scale of fog and clouds to 0.5.

Let me know if that helps.

derkoi likes this.
  30. derkoi

derkoi

Hi, yeah that helped. Thanks

31. jjxtra

jjxtra

Awesome. Would love to see a demo of your game if you want to post it here or email me.

derkoi likes this.
  32. jjxtra

jjxtra

As part of the new modular weather maker with weather zones, I am working on making proper underwater support. Proper buoyancy may come later as well if I have time. But I wanted to show a quick demo. You can easily add your own post processing volume to the underwater part of the water to customize the blur, colors, and much more.

Willbkool_FPCS and Mark_01 like this.
  33. Da-Icon

Da-Icon

this looks fantastic

34. jjxtra

jjxtra

Thanks. I did some more tweaking and I think this will be great. Big 4.0 release coming in a week or two!

Mark_01 likes this.
  35. jjxtra

jjxtra

I finally got the under-water finished (with caustics!) and have made a ton of improvements. Weather Maker 4.0.0 is coming out this week, be ready for lots of goodies such as:

- Weather zones and weather profile groups. Decide what part of your map has what climate and types of weather. This replaces the weather manager. Temperate and snow groups available by default.
    - Make it easier to build your own prefab from scratch. Easier to deactivate un-needed pieces.
    - Rotate + scale null fog zone (still needs to be a box collider, other collider types may be added if there is enough demand).
    - Null fog zone render mask (choose to disable precipitation, fog, snow overlay and water fog)
    - Vegetation studio integration (snow+wetness build up).
    - Better underwater behavior with caustics (no projector needed, great performance).
    - Much, much more!

Dwight_Everhart, Mark_01 and Hitch42 like this.
  36. Da-Icon

Da-Icon

Hey jjxtra,
    I started a side project and im using the 2d version of the weathermaker. how do you get the sun to appear in the scene or in 2d does only the light brighten and darken with sunrise and sunset?

37. telecaster

telecaster

Hi, I am new to this, and let me quickly say that this asset is very impressive. However I am having (probably end user) trouble with a moving vehicle camera. The rain splashes seem to move with the vehicle. I tested this in the demo scene and it does the same thing there. Is there any way to have the rain impact effects stay stationary in the environment, rather than having them move with the camera? Sorry if this has been answered before but I could find nothing in the 12 pages or so of discussion (although I definitely did not read everything)

38. jjxtra

jjxtra

It's possible the particle systems got set to local space or that your weather maker prefab is parented inside the car. Try making sure the weather maker prefab is at the root of the scene and that the particle systems for rain are set to world space. Let me know how it goes.

39. jjxtra

jjxtra

Showing the actual sun is not yet supported in 2D.

40. Da-Icon

Da-Icon

ok thanks :) it wasn't a project killer that i see the sun ty for answering.

41. telecaster

telecaster

@jjxtra - thanks for the response.
    Unfortunatly Worldspace is set in the particle system, and the WeatherMaker prefab is in the root of the demoscene. even the RainPrefab is in FirstPerson mode under 3D settings. Any other options?

42. jjxtra

jjxtra

Email me - support@digitalruby.com and we can get it figured out. If you can send the project, great, if not a Skype session probably.

43. jjxtra

jjxtra

Although now that I think about it, this was a bug I fixed a while ago, what version of the asset do you have?

44. jjxtra

jjxtra

It's been a long couple of months, many late hours coding, but Weather Maker 4 is finally here! Here is the full list of changes.

PLEASE backup your project as this release contains some breaking changes to the scripts and prefabs. You'll need to delete the weather maker folder, any weather maker prefab and water prefab before downloading the new version. If you have an existing project and this is too much work, I would suggest to stick with version 3.9.2 and use 4 for your next project.

*** BIG UPDATE - BACKUP YOUR PROJECT FIRST IF UPGRADING ***
    This release contains hundreds of hours of work from me. I really hope that you like it. I've tried my very best to make it awesome, performant and bug free.
    Please contact me (support@digitalruby.com) or Discord chat (http://discord.gg/5KjfBjt) if you have issues with this update and I will try to help, or I can give you the previous version (3.9.2). This new version has a few breaking API / prefab changes.
    You will need to delete the WeatherMaker folder and re-download the asset as several scripts have been renamed and/or moved.
    You will need to delete and re-add any Weather Maker prefabs or water prefabs to your scenes.
    Please watch the tutorial videos that explains everything about the new setup (see readme.txt).
    - General:
    - Added weather zones. Apply a weather profile or profile group to a collider including nested weather zone support. Please view the tutorial video to learn what this means, and what other prefab changes there are.
    - Make the configuration panel a separate prefab, no longer in WeatherMakerPrefab.
    - Vegetation studio integration: use a weather zone on a vegetation studio area, control snow/rain amount (see WeatherMakerWeatherZoneScript.cs).
    - Remove the weather manager entirely. This is replaced by weather zones and weather profile groups, which have all the capability the weather manager used to have. I've created several weather profile groups for you.
    - Changed weather profiles to use fog, precipitation, wind, audio and lightning profiles. You will need to update any weather profiles to use this new mechanism.
    - Remove IgnoreCameras. Add AllowCameras property to WeatherMakerScript. This will default to main camera, but you can add more. This script is on the root of the prefab. Every other camera is ignored by default.
    - Extensions must be manually added now, they are not automatic anymore. There were too many people running into problems with them getting added automatically.
    - Drop gles 2.0 support. You must use gles 3.0 or newer.
    - Null Zones
    - Null fog zone is now just null zone - because they can block more than fog.
    - Null zones can now block precipitation, fog, snow overlay and under-water fog. This can be changed via mask property on null fog zone script. Requires soft particles enabled to block precipitation.
    - Null zones can be rotated now, great for indoor environments and buildings.
    - Sky:
    - Refactor celestial objects to be a separate script that you attach to your directional light. See the Sun and Moon under WeatherMakerPrefab. Celestial object references for light are now on the light manager.
    - Fog:
    - Fog profile now animates smoothly between all fog profile settings - even noise.
    - Fog box and fog sphere volumetric light only processes lights that intersect the bounds, greatly improving performance.
    - Audio:
    - Move audio settings to new audio manager class.
    - Audio settings are now optionally part of the weather profile. This allows you to replace the global sounds that follow the player depending on the type of weather.
    - Water:
    - Improve underwater appearance and capabilities, including adding a fog box to underwater area.
    - Add underwater ambient and splash sound.
    - Add sound zone dampener to under water area.
    - You will need to add post processing volume to underwater object for now with depth of field and color grading. I will add this once I drop support for older Unity versions.
    - Wind:
    - Tweak wind to behave better with precipitation and trees. More realistic velocities, turbulence, etc.

Some sample videos of the new stuff:

45. Mark_01

Mark_01

WOW thank you for all your hard work :)
    Maybe Version 5 should have an upgrade fee ?

46. jjxtra

jjxtra

I may make a pro package with more features beyond weather in another asset. But for now I guess the upgrade is free if you have already purchased :)

Mark_01 likes this.
  47. Duffer123

Duffer123

@jjxtra ,

Just checking. Now own Weather Maker. Was wondering if it has GAIA integration (so recognised by GAIA via extension)? Also, WAPI?

48. Hexer_

Hexer_

Hi, can someone help me?
    It seems there's an error with AQUAS script in WM 4.0.0.
    I'm getting these errors:

Assets/WeatherMaker/Prefab/Scripts/Extensions/WeatherMakerExtensionAquasScript.cs(59,84): error CS1061: Type `DigitalRuby.WeatherMaker.WeatherMakerScript' does not contain a definition for `CloudScript' and no extension method `CloudScript' of type `DigitalRuby.WeatherMaker.WeatherMakerScript' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

49. Da-Icon

Da-Icon

Hi jjxtra,
    awesome update(seriously) except ... i cant find the configuration canvas anymore... did you move it somewhere?
    Edit I did find the new prefab but this is happening out of box.

https://prnt.sc/ks1rw7

Wouldn't let me attach a link from lightshot dunno why.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  50. jjxtra

jjxtra

Yes and yes.

Duffer123 likes this.