Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.
  2. Join us on Dec 8, 2022, between 7 am & 7 pm EST, in the DOTS Dev Blitz Day 2022 - Q&A forum, Discord, and Unity3D Subreddit to learn more about DOTS directly from the Unity Developers.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a look at our Games Focus blog post series which will show what Unity is doing for all game developers – now, next year, and in the future.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug New version of FBX refuses to import

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by merkygloom, Sep 7, 2022.

1. merkygloom

merkygloom

I'm working with a model I made in Maya and exported as fbx into Unity. I wanted to edit the neckline of this character's shirt, so I uploaded a new (seperate file, new file name) fbx of the edit seen below:

upload_2022-9-6_22-6-9.png
    The version that I see in Unity, with the incorrect old neckline:
    upload_2022-9-6_22-5-54.png
    I've deleted by type:history and I have no idea why this new fbx imports the same model as the old version.
    Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Should I start over with a new project?

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

I would get medieval on that model. Make a copy, delete EVERYTHING except the neckline in question... import it.

If the above doesn't work, select just the neck and rip it out to a new file and import it.

By doing this you will learn something about the problem space. Perhaps the old model is still in the scene? Perhaps you didn't save it? OR saved it elsewhere? Or misnamed it? I don't know what editing package you're using... does it journal old versions?

merkygloom likes this.
  3. merkygloom

merkygloom

Thanks for the suggestions. This has really got me confused. I used Maya to save the model + fbx, maybe the problem started in there?

4. merkygloom

merkygloom

Turns out this was a Maya issue, I had to detach the model from the rig, make my edits, delete by type history including the skin weight, and re-skin it to the rig.