Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official New version of Cinemachine 3 pre-release 5 available

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by antoinecharton, Apr 25, 2023.

1. antoinecharton

antoinecharton

Unity Technologies

Hello :) Cinemachine 3.0.0-pre.5 is out! It is still a pre release, back-up your awesome games, animations… projects before installing especially if upgrading from 2.X.

Important: We changed the namespace to be more consistent with the rest of Unity API. If you have any custom scripts that reference Cinemachine you will need to change using Cinemachine; to using Unity.Cinemachine;. The minimum version has also been bumped to 2022.2.16f1.

Enjoy!

Apr-25-2023 16-02-37.gif

Installation

Minimum version: 2022.2.16f1
    Window -> Package Manager -> + -> Add Package By Name
    Name: com.unity.cinemachine
    Version: 3.0.0-pre.5

Upgrading

What's new in cinemachine 3
    Upgrade from cinemachine 2.X

Change-log

Fixed
    • MixingCamera calls OnTransitionFromCamera correctly for all its children.

Added
    • Samples: New 2D platformer sample showing custom camera manager.
    • Samples: New Split-screen sample for the input system.
    • Samples: UI works with both built-in input and Input System package.
    • New BlendHint: IgnoreTarget will blend rotations without considering the tracking target.
    • New BlendHint: FreezeWhenBlendingOut will blend out from a snapshot of the camera state.
    • InputAxisController has the option to suppress input while the attached camera is blending.
    • Added CinemachineCameraEvents and CinemachineBrainEvents behaviours for event processing.
    • Added BlendFinished and CameraDeactivated events.
    • Timeline: Added Track Priority field in CinemachineTrack to control track precedence when tracks are contained in nested timelines.

Changed
    • Minimum Unity version is now 2022.2.16f1.
    • All namespaces changed from "Cinemachine" to "Unity.Cinemachine".
    • "Cinemachine.Utility" namespace folded into to "Unity.Cinemachine".
    • Renamed .asmdef files to follow the convention: Unity.[PackageName].
    • CinemachineInputAxisController refactored to be more easily customized.
    • CinemachineBlendListCamera has been renamed to CinemachineSequencerCamera.
    • TrackedObjectOffset renamed to TargetOffset.
    • Improved layout of PositionComposer and RotationComposer inspectors.
    • LensSettings was refactored to improve handling of SensorSize and other physical properties.
    • Full physical camera support for builtin pipeline.
    • LensPresets and PhysicalLensPresets are now separate assets.
    • Samples are compatible with Built-in, Universal, and High Definition Render Pipelines.
    • CinemachineUpgradeManager re-opens original scene after upgrade is complete.
    • Events system refactored.
    • Refactored CinemachineCameraManagerBase to be more useful for customizing.

2. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Nice update, but try not changing things like going to Unity.Cinemachine for no real benefit other than consistency.
    It should have happened in the beginning not now that many tools have it integrated.

3. I'm here to disagree with the notion to not to make breaking changes. Please do whenever you deem it necessary as long as it happens on major version change. Whoever don't like the changes they can stay on the previous major version until they can schedule the proper upgrade. So a great yay from me!
    Hope other teams at Unity as well finally embrace the necessary changes.

PaulMDev, Peter77, CiroContns and 8 others like this.
  4. Walter_Hulsebos

Walter_Hulsebos

It's a major change, that allows for breaking changes: https://semver.org
    Besides that's by far the least breaking change of the bunch. They renamed a lot of classes and variables for that same consistency.
    If you're using Unity Events or other Reflection based tools to steer Cinemachine you'll have to reconfigure all of those.

I, for one, am extremely happy about this change, it shows a positive direction for the engine, striving for a more unified ecosystem and better cross-compatibility among separate packages. I.e. the Splines package integration, better Input System integration, making their samples work with all Render Pipelines, and if you look at the roadmap they're even looking into proper Visual Scripting Integration, which is a boon even if you're using something like PlayMaker.

Now is the perfect time for any such changes, since it's a major version anyways, and thus will break existing stuff it's better to bite the bullet and do all consistency changes in one go.

Thanks, Unity Team! I'm excited to try out the renewed Cinemachine!

5. antoinecharton

antoinecharton

Unity Technologies

That's a really fair point and I totally understand it. While any change will ineluctably cause some pain you don't have to switch now. CM 3 does not mean we will drop support of 2.x immediately. You will still be able to use it for some time with all the tools built around it.
    In the state of things today upgrading is completely optional and a choice. The official versions are still 2.x.
    3.0 is still in a pre release state (For some time) no rush to upgrade if you don't feel the need for it.

Hope this answer your concern.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2023
  6. Lachee_

Lachee_

I disagree, this is also why it's a major revision. It is a breaking change for sure, but i rather it get done now than in the year 2030. I hope they do TMPro next.

Walter_Hulsebos likes this.
  7. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

If it can auto update all scripts that would be nice. (With unity script updater)

antoinecharton likes this.
  8. antoinecharton

antoinecharton

Unity Technologies

That's something we looked at, unfortunately it doesn't work in the context of a package when you have compilation errors in your project.

9. Onigiri

Onigiri

Hi! Great release! Here a small list of UX bugs/suggestions i got after playing with this version a bit:
    1)There's a strange texture that appears over lens category after going in and out of playmode while cinemachine camera is selected in inspector
    upload_2023-5-4_21-58-21.png
    2)Lens preset dropdown has a separator line on the top for some reason
    upload_2023-5-4_21-59-4.png
    3)"None" is lowercase for some reason. Unity's standard is always uppercase for elements in dropdown
    upload_2023-5-4_22-4-36.png
    4) Would be good to have "Add extension" field as button instead of dropdown. Similar to how it's done in volume editor:
    upload_2023-5-4_22-6-52.png
    That's all for now, thanks for your hard work and passion!

10. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the suggestions, we appreciate your feedback.

1) We don't see this. What version of Unity are you using?
    2) This divider indicates that no presets are defined. It will make sense when you add some presets.
    3) Thanks! Will fix.
    4) Thanks, but I don't think we'll revisit this any time soon

11. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

Install instructions are wrong, don't work.

1. Download latest 2022LTS - 2022.3.13
    2. Attempt to install from package manager: FAIL. UPM will only offer 2.9.7 latest
    3. Guess: you forgot to include the required step of 'must un-hide pre-release packages'. Unhide pre-release packages, reload UPM. - https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-PackageManager.html#advanced_preview
    4. FAIL: still no version higher than 2.9.7 is offered.

Is it CM that's been broken?

Or UPM?

Or Unity's LTS release?

12. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

It's because you're not following the instructions. Maybe this is clearer: https://forum.unity.com/threads/how-do-i-install-a-specific-version-of-cinemachine.1484691/

13. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

FYI: That page is neither in the current docs (3.0.0-pre9 on the website) nor in the individual release notes I checked (several of the "-pre" release notes on this forum). I'm not sure what instructions you expect people to follow?

I got it to work by editing the manifest. I note that even in the release notes (only a few) that say we have to edit the manifest, they ... for some reason decide not to say "what" you need to edit it to. (for other readers: you have to type the full version string BUT you have to insert an extra period after the string "pre" to satisfy Unity's package system, e.g. the current manifest string is: "com.unity.cinemachine": "3.0.0-pre.9" )

14. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

The instruction are here, in this thread, in the first post. Each thread announcing a new pre-release repeats the instructions. They look like this:

Installation
    Minimum version: 2022.2.16f1
    Version: 3.0.0-pre.5

I thought the picture I posted above would make it clearer, in case the text representation is confusing. Personally, I would prefer if the package manager just showed the available releases, but it does not. That is a Unity-wide thing, not specific to Cinemachine. I would cast my vote in favour of any initiative to correct that behaviour.

15. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

I just tried again from scratch - previously I didn't see the 'version' field, I typed the 'name' that was listed in instructions, expected to be given a choice of versions. I was indeed given a choice after hitting Enter - but only of 2.9.7. One of the pre-release instructions I believe just says "type the name" and gives the "com.unity.cinemachine" string (or maybe I *Also* misread that one).

I see now (with the help of your other thread with screenshot) that there's an extra field beneath the 'name' field (I could have sworn it wasn't there before, but more likely: it was always there and I just didn't notice it before, since it's dark-gray-on-dark-gray-background, until I knew to look for it).

Sigh. Thanks for the screenshot - agreed this isn't a CM specific problem ... but still A) I feel that should be in the docs or a link given to how to add 'pre' packages (I couldn't find one in the main Unity docs on quick look - but there should be a shared link somewhere for it), and B) why not include the manifest text so people can just do this directly?

(Agreed that UPM is still half-thought-out rubbish design. Given that the way UPM works everywhere else is "choose package. Then see list of versions" this UI is embarassingly bad)

16. antoinecharton

antoinecharton

Unity Technologies

Not sure you can download a pre 5 anymore only pre 9 is available from the unity registry.

Version: 3.0.0-pre.9