Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Compass Navigator Pro - "Skyrim"-like compass bar + mini-map + fog of war system

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Kronnect, Apr 12, 2016.

1. gecko

gecko

We're getting fairly frequent spikes on Compass Navigator Pro, for Canvas.BatchBuild -- ranging from 40-160ms. We've moved it into its own canvas to improve that, but still getting these spikes. Not sure if this is something peculiar about our usage of it (which is a simple compass with nothing but cardinal directions on it) or what. Any suggestions?

(We haven't updated it in awhile, still using a version from about a year ago, in 2018.3.)

thx
    Dave

ugui spike - compass.PNG

2. Kronnect

Kronnect

It looks like Unity rebuilding the canvas due to changes in its contents - I see that as normal except for the duration. Is that something that you can reproduce in the demo scene included in the asset using latest version? I'll give it a go soon and get back to you if I find something unusual.

3. gecko

gecko

I'll try.

Do you think these spikes would be significantly smaller in a build?

4. Gua

Gua

Since it's already contains mini-map option, are there any plans to add full screen map support?

5. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi,
    There’s a maximize option already. And you can even assign an UI panel and map will fill that panel when maximised.
    Regards

BackwoodsGaming and Gua like this.
  6. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

Maybe a guide for the new people would be handy

KittyAnn, BackwoodsGaming and Gua like this.
  7. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hello,
    You can use the miniMapZoomState property to toggle full screen mode (this property is listed in the documentation).
    In the inspector you can also choose if aspect ratio must be preserved or not. If not, the mini-map will cover the entire screen.
    Update to latest version - the demo scene has been updated and you can now press T to toggle mini-map full screen on/off in that demo scene (which uses the same miniMapZoomState property):
    Regards

SickaGames1 and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  8. Gua

Gua

It doesn't function like a full map. Here's things that preventing it to function like a full screen map.

1. When I fully zoom out. I still cannot see the full map.
    2. View rotates and moves with the player.

Here's how full screen map looks/functions in most games.

9. Kronnect

Kronnect

Currently the maximize option does that, if switches from the small viewport to cover the entire screen (depending on the aspect ratio option) but it still shows the active area around the player as in non-full-screen mode.
    Next update will allow you to specify the area for the full-map so it shows the entire map when in full-screen mode.

10. Gua

Gua

Greats news! Will there also be an option to disable rotation?

11. Kronnect

Kronnect

Yes, check your conversations inbox :)

12. wood333

wood333

Quick Question: Can a POI be a moving object, such as an NPC ?

13. Kronnect

Kronnect

Yes. Just add the CompassProPOI script to the NPC gameobject.

wood333 likes this.
  14. wood333

wood333

Great News! Thanks. :)

15. wood333

wood333

I was thinking of updating from a pre-minimap version to the newest. Should I remove the old folder, or can I install the new version on top? Will I need to redo all the POIs? Any upgrade tips or suggestions?

16. Kronnect

Kronnect

Just upgrade. POI data will be preserved and extended with new options.

wood333 likes this.
  17. wood333

wood333

I am now using the current version of CNP. Two Questions:

1. The "scale factor" adjustment was removed from the "Canvas Scaler" component. What do I use now?

2. The mini map "Icon Size" adjustment is great, but it does not effect the player icon. Can I get the player icon in the mini map to be smaller?

18. Kronnect

Kronnect

1. You can just switch the Canvas Scaler mode to anyone you want and make the appropriate scale/unit changes.

2. "Player Icon Size" property has been added to latest version (v5.4)

wood333 likes this.
  19. wood333

wood333

I notice that when my character looks up it effects the minimap.
    Map goes away when looking up.PNG
    When he looks down the minimap looks normal

20. Kronnect

Kronnect

I can't reproduce that issue. What settings are you using? Could you please share a screenshot of the inspector?
    Also make sure you have the latest version examining the README file? It should be 5.6.1.

21. wood333

wood333

I updated to latest version. I have not replaced the scene object. It seems as if the map camera is getting influenced from what my character camera views. Here is inspector:
    minimap inspector 1-28-2012.PNG

22. wood333

wood333

The shadows appear when I look directly at the sky. Inside a building, no shadows on the map no matter where I look.

23. wood333

wood333

Checking the HDR box in the TopDownCamera seems to fix this, but on play the check box is cleared. How do I get the HDR box to stay checked on Play?

24. Kronnect

Kronnect

Thanks for the additional info, I'll check this and get back to you.

25. Kronnect

Kronnect

It seems I can't reproduce that issue but if that works for you, then it's a simple as commenting out this line in CompassProPrivate.cs:

Code (CSharp):
    1. miniMapCamera.allowHDR = false;
    around line 1404.

p.s. feel free to send me a repro if it's possible.

26. wood333

wood333

That works.

27. wood333

wood333

I can do this but I would have to send my entire project. Its' about 43 GB. I would have to put it on pCloud and give you access.

28. Kronnect

Kronnect

No, 43 GB is a no-go. Never mind, we’ll look after this. If you still have any issue after this change, let me know.

wood333 likes this.
  29. wood333

wood333

Thank you for your assistance. As a final thought, there was some kind of interaction between the CNP mini-map and the main camera in my project which is driven by Invector's Third Person Camera script. A couple of other components are on that camera as shown in the following inspector image:
    vThirdPersonCamera.PNG

Like you, I need to move on from this issue. It's solved for now, and I have other assets to combine with my project. As it stands right now, I call this a fix and a win!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    Kronnect likes this.
  30. Superjayjay

Superjayjay

How do you set a minimap icon to be render above others/change render order?

31. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi, sorry for late reply. Please use our support forum in the future as we prioritize requests there.

A CompassProPOI priority setting has been added into latest beta, which let you control the rendering order of markers in the compass bar and mini-map (higher priority gets rendered on top of others).

32. wood333

wood333

I would like to deactivate the mini map in runtime when I open inventory windows, then reactivate. How would you suggest I do this. Note: it's easy to deactivate the minimap root but when I reactivate the map does not come back.

33. Kronnect

Kronnect

Use the showMiniMap property of the CompassPro component to toggle on/off the minimap. Check documentation (page 15) for details.

wood333 likes this.
  34. wood333

wood333

Big thank you Kronnect!. I think I might have found it on my own, but you have made so many features available for use, it would have taken me a while to find. Giving me the page number and name of the function was a godsend. My inventory menu has OnOpen and OnClose events. I set it up and it works like a charm.

Kronnect likes this.