Search Unity

New user looking for a head start on a tiny project.

Discussion in '2D' started by Durghan, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Durghan

Durghan

Hey all. So, I'm a complete noob to everything Unity related. Well, game related actually. So please don't be too harsh on me. I'm aware this super basic but you could save me a few hours of searching for things that I don't know I don't know.

Also, sorry if this isn't the best or right place to ask this.

Anyway, I figured I'd start off with a super small project of just making myself a D&D character sheet app for IOS and Android. I figured I'd do a 2D project of mainly UI elements.

So, what I'm hoping to get here is a lead on a tutorial or two that shows some UI tips and tricks, that shows how to link things so the basic math is done for the various skill values and such and maybe how to set things up so values are pulled from a database so if you choose a Human Paladin all your base stats are set properly. And so on and so on.

Like I say, super small and basic, but since I don't even quite know what I'm looking for, I thought I'd come here and see if anyone can point me in a general direction.

Thanks.

2. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

Hello Durghan and welcome to the Unity community!

If we break down your project into a few pieces, it will be a bit easier for you to get going. It seems you have 3 main pieces in your current design;
    • Create an app running on android/ios
    • Create a custom UI
    • Fill the UI with data based on user selection
    I would suggest you to read or watch a few introduction guides on how the UI in Unity works, there are some great guides both in blogs and on YouTube. Usually these guides will walk you through how to setup a basic UI, and also how to connect the UI with your code, so you can fill it with custom data. This should help you complete the last two tasks.

For iOS or Android, have a look at these two links:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/BuildSettingsiOS.html - iOS
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/android-BuildProcess.html - Android
    If you are more into videos, there are some great video alternatives on YouTube as well.

Best of luck with your project!

Durghan likes this.
  3. Durghan

Durghan

Awesome! Thank you very much!

4. MisterSkitz

MisterSkitz

Tell me what you'd like to know exactly and I am willing to draw up some code for you. Are you just looking to have a button that randomly selects an integer value based upon a specific sided die-roll? That's actually fairly simple and wouldn't take me long to code. Lemme know.