Search Unity

Showcase New URP plugin: Screen space GI - Zero bake time!

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by Michiel-Frankfort, Aug 27, 2022.

1. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

Hi!
    Yes, there are a lot of options to tinker with. If you want to try out MF.SSGI, send me a DM and we can give it a try! I'm always looking for testers, and your projects looks like an amazing testcase to me.

I just uploaded 3 new video's so you can check those out and see if it will make sense for your project. I will add them to the next post.

JiRo_Dev likes this.
  2. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

Hi all!

I'm very close to release! A little status update on my side:
    First of all I added a feature that allows you to use Reflection-probes as a GI fallback. So if a lightsource is offscreen, but a nearby reflection-probe has it captured, the SSGI will use that instead.

For example: In my updated WebGL techdemo you will find very bright green and magenta objects casting light. If you then turn your back on them, you will still see them emit light throughout the scene. Check it out!

I also uploaded 3 tutorial video's! They will be part of the Unity Asset-store page once it's online. Also documentation is nearly done, so all in all it's getting there!

Youtube: Quick setup tutorial
    SSGI - Quick Tutorial - Youtube thumbnail.png

Youtube: Advanced features tutorial P1

SSGI - Advanced Tutorial - P1 - Youtube thumbnail.png

Youtube: Advanced features tutorial P2
    SSGI - Advanced Tutorial - P2 - Youtube thumbnail.png

Hope you like it!

3. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

This will be my final post here as I will soon announce my tool here.
    So please keep an eye on it, because this just happened...

20221129_145356.jpg

fuzzy3d and Deleted User like this.
  4. JiRo_Dev

JiRo_Dev

Hi,

First, thanks for the reply, I watched the videos you uploaded, it certainly looks amazing, and I would love to test it in my fantasy game.

Michiel-Frankfort likes this.
  5. hopeful

hopeful

6. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

I'll stick around a bit longer then haha

7. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

Alright! I just did my big announcement on the 'Tools in progress'-page. Please show your support and like that thread, it will help me gain some traction there. Thanks everyone!

Link to page

hopeful likes this.
  8. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

Hi all! Happy new year!

I haven't posted here in a while because I'm mostly active on this forum thread these days, but I want to give a little status update:

V1.0 is still pending for review!
    Yes... submitted end of November and I'm still waiting. I started 1360 in queue, now I still have 250 places to go. And then it will be reviewed for the first time, so who knows... it could even bounce. I did 2 assetstore projects 6-8 years ago and back then within 24/48 hours it was done. Instead of two days, most likely it will be 2 months before its released. Currently the Queue is schrinking with 50 a day, so with 250 to go I hope to be live in 1 week from now!

Day-1 update: V1.1 ready!
    Thanks to the long waiting, I had some time to test and improve the asset. A ton of tiny bug fixes, but most noticeably a few new features have been added:
    • Light-direction encoding: correctly lights normalmaps even in dark areas.
    • Shadow denoise improvement: less flickering and improved image stability
    • GI reprojection: using Motion-vectors MF.SSGI is now able to 're-use' the GI from previous frames. New GI will be rendered if the reprojected pixels are 'old' or are misplaced. This allows for fast moving emissive objects to be rendered correctly.
    • New AA algorithm: At very little GPU cost edged will be detected and multiple samples will be validated, resulting in ultra-sharp AA, even if the GI is rendered at 20% Screensize.

In general V1.0 looks way better thanks to the encoded light-directions/improved denoising/improved AA and it roughly doubles the performance (depending on implementation ofcourse). To celebrate I have a few things for you to try!

Please come visit me at my main forum-thread here for the latest updates!

SSGI - V1.0 vs V1.1 update - 3.jpg

SSGI - V1.0 vs V1.1 update - 1.jpg

SSGI - Samsung demo - 1.jpg

SSGI - Samsung demo - 3.jpg

NotaNaN, Stardog and FlightFight like this.
  9. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

:D :D :D WOW! ITS LIVE!!!! :D :D :D

I'm super happy to report that I'm caught a bit by surprise, but it's finally available in the assets store!!!

To all my testers and people here on the forum: Thank you for testing, great feature requests and feedback and I hope to submit the improved V1.1 early next week!

@Spikebor created an amazing video-review of the asset. Please show him your support and check it out!

Love you all, 2023 will be exiting!

10. Thermos

Thermos

Love this asset, some suggestion:
    Give a 10% discount so your asset will be listed in New Release Sells page, that's the only way I know a new asset could get promoted.

11. Hypertectonic

Hypertectonic

Can't wait to have some time and spare cash to give this some use!

12. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

Hi all!

First of all: Big big thanks to everyone that bought MF.SSGI! Much love!!!

V1.1 is nearly ready for submission. In the meantime I updated the WebGL demo again. Check it out!!!

MF.SSGI - V1.1 - WebGL demo scene - Compare.jpg

13. Kreshi

Kreshi

Somehow the light seems to be much more stable in your new demo when moving around and emissive materials getting out-of-screen. Did you improve something in this regard or did you use some baking-techniques as a fallback? Do you have an example of your GI solution in action when only 1 directional light is being used in an outside scene with terrain and forrest?

14. Claytonious

Claytonious

That's also what I would like to see.

15. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

Hi!

You have an amazing eye, and Yes! I spend indeed a lot of time improving stability, and no: Nothing (with exception of Reflection-probes ofc) is baked! Its all realtime!!!

And today I'm spending even more time making it more stable. It's an ongoing battle. The one thing I improved last few days is the way the Reflection-probe fallback 'mixes' with the Raymarched bouncelights.

I also discovered an important bug where motion-vectors were rendered after SSGI. When I used the motion-vectors in my shader, they were already 'one frame old', causing ghosting/lag on lower FPS. This has been fixed now, so the result is much more stable and predictable.

About the Forest-question: If you have such a scene yourself, send me a DM and we can test it out before you buy it.

Cheers!

16. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

Hi all, V1.1.1 IS LIVE!!! (Yes, already a hot fix haha)

It has many many improvements as mentioned before. If you want to learn more about it, I MADE A VIDEO that highlights the new tech.

There is an upgrade-guide in the package for those that already purchased v1.0.

Enjoy and thank you all for buying/supporting MF.SSGI!!!

Kreshi likes this.
  17. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

Great news! MF.SSGI is now 50% Discounted!!!

Many thanks if you decide to purchase and support development ❤

Thermos and Kreshi like this.
  18. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

Hi all!

@Kreshi showed me this amazing video he made and allowed me to share it with you; It shows the Difference between Radiant Global Illumination and MF.SSGI.

Screenshot_20230211_153248_YouTube.jpg

Full disclosure, I did not ask him or sponsor him, he did this as a comparison video for a Discord-channel he is part of and allowed me to share it. So big big thanks to @Kreshi for the effort taken, very kind!

Thermos likes this.
  19. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

!!!50% Sale ends today!!!

Today I'm spending my time in the hospital. Hopefully in roughly 24 hours time, I'll be a father again! We are expecting a daughter, so hopefully all goes well. My gf is holding up, although in much pain.

So all your support and help over the past months have been amazing. I love the Unity community and along the way I got to know many talented and amazing people. So big shout out to you! And a big thanks to all that purchased the asset!

Wish us luck!

20. minhdaubu2

minhdaubu2

Can you make a version for HDRP, currently all the HDRP GI solutions are very very heavy.

21. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

Hi!

MF.SSGI is not free either in terms of performance cost, but maybe it would be a nice alternative indeed.

Nice suggestion, thanks!

22. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort

Hi all,

My apologies for the lack of support lately. I've tried to fix issues reported in the latest versions of Unity, but I end-up in a world of pain with the new render-pipeline features etc. I'm at a point that I cannot support the asset any longer going forward with URP Forward+, new Unity versions, etc.

On top of that there is a lot going on in my life personally and Unity has pretty much messed-up everything anyways the past few weeks. There has been a massive drop in Unity users and Assetstore activity lately, I think by Unity's own making.

So I have decided to deprecate the asset. The lack of Assetstore sales, Unity documentation on some of the issues and my personal situation has led me to this decision.

For those that want a full refund, please send me a DM with a screenshot of the invoice-number attached.

I know I 'took' your money so I'm more then happy to refund it. Please be kind, I really tried to make the best of this asset. I fully understand your disappointment or frustration.

I'm very very sorry :(

23. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Sad to hear its deprecated, but understandable with all the recent events.
    And last but not least would you be willing to put the asset in Github so other people can build on top if your great work?

Michiel-Frankfort, sacb0y and mgear like this.
  24. mgear

mgear

that would be amazing!

25. Michiel-Frankfort

Michiel-Frankfort