Search Unity

New Unity Project "3d With Extras" . Grey fog/mist type effect undesired ... How to remove/alter it?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by megabrobro, Oct 17, 2018.

1. megabrobro

megabrobro

I've recently seen in Unity you can start a new project with Extras included. Which is basically some post processing to make it look nicer as standard, as well as some assets/materials etc to get you started.

I have started a new project like this. And you can drive a car around a fixed camera. But if the car goes a few metres (well maybe 10-30 metres or so) into the distance there is a sort of grey fog there and it makes much of the cars mesh become more and more transparent the further you go.

It doesnt look nice at all because parts of the car (like the windscreen) can still be seen, whilst the car body is not visible.

My question is, what is this effect called and where do I alter/disable it:

2. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

Hi!
    Looks like this is a result of texture filtering settings.

tugsbayr616 and megabrobro like this.
  3. megabrobro

megabrobro

thank you very much , I've been posting this around other sites for a few days now without a single response. Much appreciated, I will try to find 'Texture Filtering' in Unity and/or online to see if I can remove the fog effect.

4. megabrobro

megabrobro

Well sadly after a short search, I found something about Anisotropic Texture filtering. But I tried disabling it and the 'fog' is still there (as pictured):
    upload_2018-10-17_14-27-41.png

Wondering if you could let me know how to change it? I do like the effect in ways, but i need to be able to control it and possibly remove it alltogether in this particular game.

(ps. i feel like i have tried and tweaked every possible setting now inside the Quality and Graphics section of the Project Settings Managment inspector)

**-also note that the 'fog' does NOT appear if I make the exact same game inside a new Project Without Extras (the default normal Unity project is fine but lacks nice lens flare etc out the box such as '3d With Extras' kindly includes. Many thanks!!!

Thanks again for your help

5. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

6. megabrobro

megabrobro

hi there, well thanks again for the further responses. However i haven't been able to change this. I changed the filter mode to "Point (no filter)" and applied. It hasnt changed anything. I did this on the cars texture. BUT I NOTE: The 'fog' or whatever the correct term I should use seems to be global to the scene. ie) The ground texture and cars are all being affected by it, it seems to me like an overlay of some sort (but I am a complete novice just trying to learn what it is really)

This pic shows what I mean.
    (Posted pic below as I messed up the message a bit! LOL)

As you can see the green car is still half transparent when it is in the 'fog' (approx 15m in distance from the camera).

Would be lovely to find out what this is so I can really try to harness it as an actual desirable graphics feature :D many thanks for all the help so far[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  7. megabrobro

megabrobro

8. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Do you have fog enabled?
    Its under Windows/Rendering/Lighting

upload_2018-10-17_16-18-12.png

Attached Files:

tugsbayr616, tgd-uni and megabrobro like this.
  9. megabrobro

megabrobro

You're a hero!!! Thanks for the help my friends.... Dunno how i missed it seeing as I was googleing Unity Fog for several occasions and didn't find this. LOL I feel stupido! cheers again I will have lots of fun making the game, and probably lots more questions to com ein future haha :D

tugsbayr616 and karl_jones like this.
  10. megabrobro

megabrobro

Just for the record, the Fog is enabled by default on the '3D With Extras' startup project. And it seems a little too dense by default for a map this size (which is only 250x250). I lowered the density and it looks really cool now

tugsbayr616 and karl_jones like this.