Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

New Unity layoffs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lurking-Ninja, Nov 28, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sacb0y

sacb0y

It seems their intent with this tech is making their other tools more viable for games. And based on what i heard from how the upscaler works, it might be pretty interesting.

I dunno why people seem hell bent on the idea the weta stuff will never benefit anything, and buy outs never dissolve the former company lol.

2. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

The upscaler and other GPU tech that has been in the works for years pre-weta is not a result of Weta acquisition. Weta also didn't decide to do this, Unity engine management put them to work on stuff that was already being worked on. Weta didn't need to happen at all for this tech to come to Unity.

Yes, some good technically resulted from it. But the 1.6 billion in the red, the cancellation of GIGAYA, and the following layoffs and braindrain of people leaving by choice kinda outweigh that.

3. sacb0y

sacb0y

I'm just saying they seem to give a lot of credit to the Weta people. At they very least there's influence there.

I don't think it's right to claim they're operating on corpo justifications.
    upload_2023-11-30_17-51-28.png

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes, that's true, but on the flip side this is yet more people being fired from the company that were actively making this engine better.

5. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

From what I gather, the weta realtime team has been absorbed into Unity proper so this GPU rendering tech will still be maintained by them. What they laid off this time are all the people who developed and maintained proprietary tools for Weta FX.

6. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

7. TheOtherMonarch

TheOtherMonarch

Wētā was the biggest mistake Unity ever made 1.625B down the drain.

IOU_RAY, Kirsche, pm007 and 2 others like this.
  8. marcoantap

marcoantap

By diverting resources that could be used to improve the game engine, yes, already did.

The grial would be joining movie and game creation into a single workflow, but we are light years from that, the first step requires a rendering-quality to realtime-quality converter, and we don't even have great auto-topology tools yet. Maybe when AI gets better at frame transformation we will train it on the rendering and voilá!

9. Diverting resources? They are laying off the "resources" used by that department. Which means the department has no real effect the available resources for the game engine and whatever those people will invent next won't be available for the game engine. Which means net loss when it comes to this move.

10. Amon

Amon

Which means

the_unity_saga likes this.
  11. Either that or letting them go is.

12. TheOtherMonarch

TheOtherMonarch

They are linked. Unity overpaid for Wētā which had few synergies and only unproven real time tech. Wētā was not even in the same industry. Wētā was an open wound. The revenue Unity was making based on my back-of-napkin calculations from the SEC filing was just from servicing Wētā FX. Unity was not able to expand beyond that. Cutting loose that sunk cost was a bitter pill but it was medicine.

13. Nest_g

Nest_g

After this disaster i only can imagine Peter Jackson with a very big smile.

14. the_unity_saga

the_unity_saga

Maybe they should have put half a billion into Entities package.

TheOtherMonarch likes this.
  15. neginfinity

neginfinity

And make an amazing page for it! Think of the banner you could make for the package with a half a billion budget!

/sarcasm.

the_unity_saga likes this.
  16. the_unity_saga

the_unity_saga

As long as 5% of the funding goes to the actual developers working on the package then this is acceptable. Maybe they can do a twofer and also improve the newly depreciated UnityEngine.Experimental.AI.

17. altepTest

altepTest

I've predicted this when weta was acquired. It was clear for me this acquisition was a failure for multiple reasons but the main one being that the tools had nothing to do with game development. You can say that duh? yeah, those are movie vfx tools, bro. Yeah? it was unity that said they wanted to tie the weta tools to unity for everyone to use them to create games. How? We will never know.

I like the complete courage of unity staff, and we should thank them, on creating an announcement thread about the layoffs.

And yes, this is the first wave, and this time is not me that is predicting this but the new CEO and his unity recover plan. But if you still want my prediction, and you know I'm always right, at least a third of the workforce needs to go, maybe even more. 250 is a drop in the bucket for now.

18. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Um...who even are you? Like not even being flamey, I am a constant regular here and I have no idea who you are, so absolutely do not know "you are always right"

Your post and previous, read like everyone elses - speculation and conjecture. Nobody other than unity internal staff can say anything with certainty and I would recommend anyone reading anything else other than official information, to take it with a heavy pinch of salt.

Trigve and Ryiah like this.
  19. altepTest

altepTest

you should be mad at the people that took the decisions to purchase weta years ago and that ended up in people working at the unity getting fired.

when they've bought weta I've posted on forums calling this acquisition a very bad move and potentially a reason for unity to go downhill or even bankrupt. did I got lucky or I know what I'm talking about?

so what did you thought about unity purchasing weta? did you believed the hype? did you planned to use weta tools to create games? or you have seen trough bs and noticed the danger of investing billions in outdated vfx tools when your core client is game development not movie studios?

before attacking me think about the people that got fired and their families.

20. neginfinity

neginfinity

You're trying to dodge the question, though.

Who are you to tell what people should think or feel? Like MadeFromPolygons, I've never seen you before.

Your avatar means you have a beef with unity, but that beef is not my problem. And not other people's problem either...

21. altepTest

altepTest

but I really told you how to think or feel or is something you are inventing just to get in the argument?

then don't bring it into the discussion if you are neutral about this. yet you are strangely negative against me which means you are backing unity in this hypothetical beef you believe I have with unity

22. neginfinity

neginfinity

Here you go. This is yours:
    ------------
    You have an avatar, the avatar has text on it. People can read it. When they read it, they make conclusions. Just saying.

Ryiah likes this.
  23. Antypodish

Antypodish

Don't worry. It is dorusoftware before veryrecentbmnths name change and having heated grudge with Unity. If you remember and did follow pricing change threads, you would recognise person straight away, as most prominent poster there. Halve of post count was made in that particular threads. Also that is why person is not recognisable as much.

Not sure if person once ignored, and after name change is stil on ignored list. Because I am sure, people been pressing that button few times in mentioned thread.

neginfinity likes this.
  24. neginfinity

neginfinity

Uh. No, I don't remember that one. Basically there were 50 pages of angry people and at some point it sort of both lost novelty and became some sort of angry blur, and after that point there were more pages with more people.

But thanks for sating my curiosity and telling me the name.

25. spiney199

spiney199

Antypodish and neginfinity like this.
  26. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

This has run it's course. Closed.

LilGames and impheris like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.