Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

New Unity collab / team licencing. Plus licences must be for one organisation?

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by sandbaydev, Jan 15, 2018.

1. sandbaydev

sandbaydev

I've been using Unity Collab for some months now. I have 2 different projects with 2 different people (one has Plus, one has Personal licence). Some months back I tested Collab with one another person C (who had plus licence he bought for him). I found Collab very straightforward and simple and easy to use for small team work.

I currently own Plus licence.

Is it really so that since Jan 9th, I cannot use Collab with these people any more?

If I understood right via Unity support chat, it seems that if I want to use Collab with these 3 people, I would need to purchase 3 Plus licences for my organisation and then assign seats to these folks. It doesn't matter that they already have Plus licences. Is that correct?

If an artist works with 3 different companies, does it mean each of those companies must purchase licence for the artist to collaborate with them?

Now, to my main question that I would like to get yes/no answer:
    I have Plus licence in my organisation + my buddy has Plus licence in his different organisation.
    Can we use Collab together?

(If yes, then how to setup it?)
    (If no, is the only way for us to use Collab for me to purchase additional seat in my organisation?)

Thank you.

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It should also be clarified that collab can be purchased for personal separately, so where does the actual mixed licensing begin and collab issues end?

I agree its quite confusing.

3. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @sandbaydev -

Hopefully I can answer your questions and clarify here.

Independently from Collaborate, Unity's Terms of Service state "You may not combine or integrate Your Project Content developed with one tier of Unity Software (e.g., Unity Personal) simultaneously with any of Your Project Content that you develop with another tier (e.g., Unity Plus or Unity Pro)."

However, if you would like to use Unity Collaborate with someone that already has a Plus license, that should be fine. With your Plus subscription, you have Unity Teams Advanced. 1 seat is given to you via your "Unity Plus with Unity Teams Advanced" subscription and you have 3 additional seats given to you via the Unity Teams Basic subscription (as seen in the https://id.unity.com portal). You can assign those seats to anyone and you'll be able to collaborate with them. I understand that this is a little confusing in the https://id.unity.com portal and we're working on cleaning up the messaging around it. But to be clear, everyone in your organization will have access to Unity Teams Advanced.

If you have any additional questions/problems, feel free to send them collabsupport@unity3d.com and we'll address them.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    sandbaydev likes this.
  4. sandbaydev

sandbaydev

Thanks @johng_unity - that answers my question.

Regarding terms of service: when I purchase content from asset store that was created with Personal or Pro edition, how can I make sure I don't break the terms of the service by combining the content to project I develop using Plus edition?

5. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @sandbaydev -- that's a good question that I do not currently have the answer for. I'll look into this but probably won't be able to get back to you with an answer until tomorrow or the day after.

sandbaydev likes this.
  6. sandbaydev

sandbaydev

Actually, it's fine. This is Collab forum. I can ask about licencing via support or other forums. I think it's beyond scope of this topic :)

Either way, I now know how to get Collab to work (depending on project: personal+team licences or with everybody having plus licences). And that's what I wanted to know. Thank you very much for great product and support.

7. Vern_Shurtz

Vern_Shurtz

This is a bit confusing. I just assigned a user with Unity Pro subscription just like I have to a Teams Basic seat. Doesn't that limit us to the 1 gig cloud storage instead of Advanced having 25 gig?

8. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Vern_Shurtz --- apologies for the confusion. It does not limit you to 1GB. Because you have a Unity Pro subscription, your organization will have 25GB for all users in the organization that have a seat. We're working on making that more clear.

9. Vern_Shurtz

Vern_Shurtz

Thanks for the response. I think we are set..

10. Wonger30

Wonger30

Hi @johng_unity -

So I'm working on a project with a few different developers. We've given ownership of the project to the Organization with the most Users, and they all have Pro licenses. I also have a Pro license, but I have to use one of their 3 Basic seats to access Unity Teams because all their Pro seats are taken by their team.

What happens when we want add more people who bring their own Pro licences? When we run out of the 3 Basic seats is there no way to use our own Pro seats without counting against the Project Organization's seat count? Not everyone works for the same Organization (so the licenses are owned separately), but we are all trying to collaborate on the same project.

BoaNeo and sstrong like this.
  11. BoaNeo

BoaNeo

Maybe I'm stupid, or just *really* slow, but I had this discussion with Unity support a while back and walked away with the understanding that the only way this works is if all users on a project have active subscriptions of the same "level" (I.e. Plus or Pro) and these subscriptions are all owned by *the same* organisation...

I.e. it will *not* work for two independent developers who both have individual UnityPlus subs with AdvancedTeams. Even though between them they have 6 Team seats and 2 Plus seats, they will not be able to use Collaborate on the same project unless one of them buys an additional Plus seat for the other.

I explicitly asked if this meant that I, as an independent consultant, would have to ask all my customers to purchase a PLUS or PRO license for me even though I already have one, and was told "Yes".

So, can any of you Unity peepz please either verify that this is how the system works, or provide an accurate explanation of how to go about assigning seats, because I cannot figure it out.

12. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @BoaNeo -

Apologies for the confusion on this matter. Hopefully, I can clear it up.

Independently from Collaborate, Unity's Terms of Service state "You may not combine or integrate Your Project Content developed with one tier of Unity Software (e.g., Unity Personal) simultaneously with any of Your Project Content that you develop with another tier (e.g., Unity Plus or Unity Pro)." The complete terms of service are here: https://unity3d.com/legal/terms-of-service

So, if you're using Plus, you should be collaborating with other users that have Plus.

However, you do not need to have your Unity Plus seat in the same organization as your collaborators. So, let's say you are an independent developer using Plus and are invited to work on a Collaborate project in Org X. You need to be assigned a Unity Teams seat in Org X so that you can Collaborate in that organization, but do not need to be assigned a Plus seat in Org X.

Let me know if you have additional questions,

13. RegisVe

RegisVe

Hi, I believe I understand this, but I would just like to clarify.

Our org. has a Unity Pro subscription.

If we would like to work with an external freelancer, who's income is different therefore they don't have a pro license. They would have to buy a pro license just to work with us (so that the tier of Unity software is the same)?

Or would they still be able to use the Unity license they use and work with us using Pro?

Regards.

14. RegisVe

RegisVe

also, I can't seem to find the specific line in the EULA above:
    "You may not combine or integrate Your Project Content developed with one tier of Unity Software (e.g., Unity Personal) simultaneously with any of Your Project Content that you develop with another tier (e.g., Unity Plus or Unity Pro)."

What it actually says is this:

"You may not, however, combine or integrate Project Content developed with Unity Pro (other than in the context of using it as part of a Unity Enterprise Plan), Unity Plus or Unity Personal with Project Content developed with a Unity Enterprise Plan."

And I read it as not allowed to combine content from pro/plus/personal with Enterprise, but it does not say pro with plus with personal. Do you see what I mean?

It does state later:
    "...are not permitted to combine or integrate any of your Project Content developed with one tier of the Unity Software with any of your Project Content developed simultaneously with another tier."

In your example:
    "However, you do not need to have your Unity Plus seat in the same organization as your collaborators. So, let's say you are an independent developer using Plus and are invited to work on a Collaborate project in Org X. You need to be assigned a Unity Teams seat in Org X so that you can Collaborate in that organization, but do not need to be assigned a Plus seat in Org X."

If the Org.X uses PRO and I have Plus. Would I need to upgrade to PRO to collaborate with them?
    And from an Org.X's point of view. Would we need to upgrade all of our external freelancers to PRO for us to work with them even though their income allows them to be on a different level of subscription?

15. Jamez0r

Jamez0r

I'd like to add on to this thread with my question/situation. I've been googling it for hours, and even made a post on the General forums and no one answered. I'm pretty frustrated.

1) I have Project A that I use with Unity ID account A, and we use Collab.
    2) Then I get a contract job with a another company for Project B. I create Unity ID account B and they give me a Unity Pro license. In Unity Hub, logged into Unity ID account B, I activate the license.
    3) Now I can't open Project A with the free/personal version of Unity. It always opens with Unity Pro, even when I log into Unity ID account A in Unity Hub.

How am I supposed to work on Project A using the free/personal version of Unity? I don't understand this. Am I allowed to work on Project A with Unity Pro, so long as I don't actually use any of the Unity Pro features (like custom splash screen etc)?

I'm really surprised that I can't find a direct answer to this. Would appreciate some advice!

16. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Jamez0r, I'm sorry it's taken so long for you to get a response to your question on the forums. You can continue to work on both Project A and B by signing into the Unity Hub with either account A or B, depending on which version you'd like to work on at that moment.

As for whether you're allowed to use both a Pro account and Free account on the same machine, I spoke with the Licensing team about that. As long as the Projects you work on under account A are just personal hobby projects and you don't plan to release them for profit, then there should be no issues with continuing to work with Unity Pro under that account, since you were given Unity Pro from an employer. Otherwise, you'd need to revoke the license from account B and activate the Personal license from account A, and vice versa, depending on which project you'd like to work on.

I hope that helps to clear things up a bit.

17. Jamez0r

Jamez0r

Hi Ryan, thanks for the reply!

My personal "Project A" will be sold and released for profit, so I need to figure out what to do here. The problem is that I activated the license (through Unity Hub) on Account B, but even when I log out of Account B, and log into Account A in Unity Hub, it STILL shows that I have the Pro license.

I have no way to open up Project A with the free version of Unity. It seems like the Pro license is being applied to my entire computer regardless of what Unity ID Account I'm logged into, or which project I'm opening.

EDIT: Sorry, I just re-read what you wrote. You're saying I have to revoke the license from Account B (in Unity Hub) EVERY SINGLE TIME I want to switch between working on the two projects?

18. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

You're very welcome!

In that case then you'll need to follow the instructions on how to return a Unity license so that you can continue working with just Unity Personal on your Project A. That should deactivate your Pro subscription but allow it to be reused when you want to work on Project B again.

19. Jamez0r

Jamez0r

Hey Ryan, sorry I just edited my last post because I hadn't fully understood what you're saying.

I'm doing contract work, and I'm sure there are a lot of other people in the same position as me (multiple projects with different levels of Unity Persona/Plus/Pro). I will be working on multiple projects every day. Are you saying that the correct procedure for this is to return the license / swap out licenses every single time I need to switch between projects? Excuse me being frank, but that seems kind of ridiculous.

Is there no way to tie the license to the account or the project instead of the computer/terminal?

20. Jamez0r

Jamez0r

Found another thread with basically the same question. Someone from Unity responded saying they were working on making licensing tied to the "user" (account?). Post was from 2016, don't know if anything has changed.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/how-often-can-one-revoke-activate-a-pro-license.431434/#post-2794742

Also in that thread was the suggestion to use "-force-free" on command prompt to force Unity to open with the Free/Personal version. I tried that a few days ago and it didn't work :confused:

21. Jamez0r

Jamez0r

On that thread someone suggested this:

I would just leave it on Pro for your day to day work and then when you try and do release builds make sure you are on the appropriate version of unity for that project.

If thats the case, that would be totally fine. I'm not using any Pro features on my personal project, and totally wouldn't mind swapping licenses out for any builds that are distributed. I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing here.

Ryan-Unity likes this.