Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

new Unity 2D animation package (Cannot get IK solver working)

Discussion in 'Animation' started by ladiesandgonts, Feb 3, 2019.

1. ladiesandgonts

ladiesandgonts

I'm using the new 2D animation package. I have an IK manager 2D component on my gameObject and a limb solver 2D as well.

The problem is that while the online tutorial showed a "create effector" button on the limb solver object I only have a "create target" button that remains greyed out!

This means I cannot get my IK working. Wondered if anyone could shed any light on this.

The tutorial blog I referred to if anyone is interested: https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/12/04/getting-started-with-2d-inverse-kinematics/

awsapps likes this.
  2. yyrao

yyrao

i have the same problem

3. yyrao

yyrao

I find only when I use the preview vision of 2D ik pakages 1.0.6 can solve that problem , and when you use limb ,the bone should be not more than 2.

ViTeresa likes this.
  4. kegsay2

kegsay2

I also have this problem on 1.0.8 - none of the solvers seem to link up to the bones of my game object. 'Create Target' remains greyed out and Chain solvers has the chain length set to 0. @rustum any ideas on this?

5. kegsay2

kegsay2

6. Bruddermane

Bruddermane

FIXED: I found out that the button names (Effector and Target) are switched in the version of Unity that I am using (2018.3.10f1). I thought it was because I was using the free version but I just kept playing with it and saw that they were switched. So name the bone effector and drag that into effector and then click create target. It works! Although I will add that after I saw that it worked, I still had to save, close and reopen my project before I saw the dots on the tips of the limbs.

7. AAK_Lebanon

AAK_Lebanon

I have strange behavior, I am in Unity 2019.1.0 and using 2D Ik 1.1.0 but I can't see any way to add a solver through the inspector, I see an array in the IK manager 2D, so I added it manually, I created an empty game object and added a LimbSolver2D component to it, but now I can't find the Create Effector button in the inspector, any idea ??
    1.JPG
    2.JPG

8. LonK

LonK

I am using the same environment as you, and I have solved my problem because your previous post.
    1. Watch this tutorial

2. 2D IK mangerment , use Limb solver, not chain
    3. and behold your previous post Bruddermane
    beware the empty gameobject should put into effector not target.

Your RiggedAnimationCharacter should like this
    upload_2019-4-24_0-16-22.png
    LimbSolver should like this, remember empty gameobject should put in "Effector"
    upload_2019-4-24_0-17-6.png

Thank you Bruddermane ^^

Marv-Riley, argens and DrDrwg like this.
  9. GOD-sSs-END

GOD-sSs-END

Dang!

I'm using the same tutorial. I'm glad you got it working, but when I swap the Effector and Target, it still doesn't work. Any ideas? Everything I have looks like the screenshots above, including the greyed out "Create Target," which I believe I'm supposed to click to activate the solver and start moving my 2-bone limb.

10. GOD-sSs-END

GOD-sSs-END

Please note: I have two sets of bones in this sprite. I'm using a limb solver for the two-bone limb that extends from the center of my blob sprite down. I'll use a different solver for the three-bone chain that extends from the middle up.

You'll see, I have the Effector and the Target swapped as suggested. But they won't move anything. I believe this is because I have to click the greyed out "Create Target," which is different from what's in the video.

Any help sorting this out would be great.

Attached Files:

11. GOD-sSs-END

GOD-sSs-END

Well, I have something going on.

The only way I could get it to work is to place by empty object in the Effector, as Bruddermane suggested, but can't then place the limb solver in the Target. Right now I have a yellow circle I can grab and manipulate, and the limb moves great. But if I put the limb solver in the Target, the yellow circle doesn't turn green like in Brackeys' video. It disappears. If I click "Create Target," which is no longer greyed out while the target field is empty, the yellow circle disappears.

Not sure what's happening or what to do next.

12. GOD-sSs-END

GOD-sSs-END

Sorry for the repeated post, but I just figured it out!

My "bone_5Target" (my empty object) was improperly placed in the hierarchy. The placement is clearly shown in the Brackeys video, but you do still have to use Bruddermane's fix. You can either drag and drop or click the "Create Target" button after dropping the empty object into the Effector field. The yellow circle will turn green.

13. CreativeVulpine

CreativeVulpine

This thread was very helpful.
    I was banging my head trying to figure it out.
    Thanks @Bruddermane !

14. GOD-sSs-END

GOD-sSs-END

You want real help?

Abandon 2019 for 2018. I spent a month going around in hideous circles with 2019. What a collosol waste of time. I downloaded Unity 2018.3.14f1, and it was like the sun came out. Nearly everything works out-of-the-box, and all the tutorials flow without hangups. NO MORE HEADACHES.

I had a lot of gripes about Unity after my experience with 2019, but they all boil down to this one:

Don't rush releases as if Unity were a game. Bugs are tolerable in games (sometimes), but here? It's just lazy.

Check back with 2019 next year. Probably be good by then, maybe.

Good luck, all.

OH! And there's a hack to get the dark theme, which is really sweet if you have trouble seeing like myself. Too easy, and it's so, so nice. Just Google the "Dark Theme Hack for Unity 2018."

losporkos, Felina and Lorentzwc like this.
  15. qiqiqi

qiqiqi

the name 'target' and 'effector' are switched
    and then when you animate the bones don't drag the GameObject under the bone(like in the tutorial video) , because its now the effector, instead you drag the target which is auto created under your solver

16. protechleague

protechleague

man I have tried every suggestions but not it is still switched and doesn't shows any crate target please help I am having a headache now

17. Leia

Leia

6:27 Inverse Kinematics

Check out this timestamp on the above video; it explains how to use the IK functionality with Unity 2019 :)

In a nutshell:

- Click on the root parent of your character
    - Add Component > IK Manager 2D
    - Click the plus sign. This should create a solver (let's say we're making a Left Arm Solver for this example).
    - Click on the solver. Drag the BONE where you want the IK to form into the effector field (so if you're working with the left arm, drag in the bone at the tip of the left arm).
    - Click create target.
    - The target should appear as a child of the solver and automatically be positioned in the right place. From there you can move and use it as needed ^^

I know I saw this pretty late - but hope this helps for future reference @protechleague :)

Zarpyk and Xiangting_Su like this.
  18. Xiangting_Su

Xiangting_Su

Unity Technologies

@protechleague May we know which version of Unity are you using? What @Leia suggested would be perfect for most humanoid Characters for Unity versions 2019 and newer. Also depending on what you are trying to rig, we could help to recommend different types of solvers. The limb solver would work great for IK with 2 bones such as hands and legs etc. Hence the name limb solver.

Or let us know where you got stuck at. We could help. :)

We know the IK creation isn't that great and we are also hoping to improve the workflow by making it easier to set-up.

19. zeropoint1221

zeropoint1221

It's not that the ik doesn't work, the tutorials in the unity documentation is trash and doesn't properly show how to use it. According to the documented tutorial, you drag the empty object to the "Target" box, which is incorrect. You have to drag it to the effector box. And then press generate Target. And the images in the documentation are all over the place. They show different solvers from what are stated to use

20. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

Thank you for the feedback @zeropoint1221
    We'll take a look to see how we can improve it. While we are at it, is there anything you wished the IK documentation would cover?