Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

New UI vs NGUI or other UI systems on Asset Store

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by lennay, Aug 20, 2014.

1. lennay

lennay

I have been using unity Free and NGUI(free version) (from Tasharen enertainment) for a little while now and I was wondering if the people who know more about performance and other UI systems how much better(faster/ease of use) 4.6 will be compared to it as well as other UI extentions on the asset store.

2. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

The 4.6 UI is based on NGUI, and the NGUI developer even helped create parts of it. So in theory it should be a step up from NGUI. I'm just now trying it out myself though.

3. StarManta

StarManta

The NGUI guy was only at Unity briefly, and I believe NGUI 3.0 was mostly developed after his time at Unity. It's true that uGUI is in a lot of ways based on and similar to NGUI, but I wouldn't necessarily describe it as a "step up", as there has still been further development into NGUI.

konsnos likes this.
  4. goat

goat

Maybe nGUI will get scrapped (well actually put in legacy mode) and the author will write an entire new GUI system in the style he likes using the MIT uGUI and then sell that as the nGUI New.

I, of course, know nothing of the nGUI authors plans for nGUI or uGUI.

5. User340

User340

I'd be willing to bet that NGUI is not going anywhere, anytime soon. I mean, he just upgraded with support for RectTransform.

konsnos likes this.
  6. goat

goat

Oh, it's bound to go legacy if he wants a new product to create a new revenue stream. Only thing that would keep it relevant is current users not wanting to learn to new uGUI and there is not much money in current users.

If he doesn't spend too much time on the old nGUI I'm sure he can concentrate on a new product pretty easily.

7. nickith

nickith

They will exist side by side for a long time yet, since NGUI at this point still is ahead of uGUI on many points.

8. yuliyF

yuliyF

as I see, uGUI hasn't Grid or other Table elements

9. Dantus

Dantus

There are Horizontal, Vertical and Grid Layout Group components for that. Just pick the one you want and make sure all the objects that need to be controlled are in child game objects and have a Layout Element component.

sandboxgod and StarManta like this.