Search Unity

New To Unity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oniken, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Oniken

Oniken

Hello All,

I first would like to say that I look forward to using unity.

I have been waiting for a nice game development package I could learn from. I am a 3d Modeler but would like to make my own game title.

I however do not have much programming experience.
    Does unity require a strong background in programming to use or to make a game?

Let me know
    thanks everyone
    Oniken

2. jeremyace

jeremyace

Welcome!

Unity does require programming, but Unity provides one of the easiest (and most fun) ways of learning.

If you want to make a simple game, then chances are someone has coded a variation on the premise before, and can provide tips to help you get through it as a first project.

If you want to make a larger game, then you will obviously have a lot to learn before you get to that point.

As long as you take it slow, don't expect too much from yourself at the start, I think you will be pleasantly surprised with what you can do.

Good luck!
    -Jeremy

3. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Welcome to the community!

I'd recommend starting out by going through the tutorials and guides in the resources section and assess for yourself. Also check out the wiki and this forum of-course.

4. Oniken

Oniken

Thank you guys for the nice responses,
    I cant wait to get my hands on Unity.
    I am more of a artist and hope that unity is artist friendly.

I am waiting for the windows version. since my mac is not strong enough to handle the current build.

thanks again
    Oniken

5. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

Welcome aboard Oniken!

:)

6. LucindaMcNary

LucindaMcNary

Welcome to Unity although I am also new and awaiting the arrival of the PC version.

7. VoxelBoy

VoxelBoy

As a technical artist myself, I can guarantee you that Unity is very artist-friendly. I'm quite certain you'll like it :).

8. stimarco

stimarco

Unity has a lot of potential for pre-vis work and the like. Machinima is really just "3D animation" by another name; the gap between them will close eventually as the technologies mature.

There's no built-in lip sync support in Unity as such, but it's not that hard to add such support. You could either build a lip-sync editor which runs in the IDE itself, or you could write a script which imports a file from an off-the-shelf lip sync tool.

(I'm considering writing something like this myself.)