Search Unity

New to UNITY. Seeking advice.

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Daryn-Flannery, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Daryn-Flannery

Daryn-Flannery

I am new to UNITY here.

And I am looking for feedback direction in how to move forward.
    I am educated up to an intermediate level of C# (used in UNITY); but feel that I still need to learn a lot more C language, before I can learn with UNITY. But I don't know for sure!

Should I take a step back, and learn more C# before getting into UNITY learning?
    Or does UNITY help us students learn applicable programming 'while' we are learning other areas of UNITY engine and design itself?

Where should I go from the start. How should I best navigate my way here, while adventuring into Unity?

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Well Unity doesn't teach you advanced C# topics. Those would be things you'd only know to use if you already know how to use them. Though Unity doesn't really require anymore more than an intermediate level of C# for the most part. I'd suggest just diving into Unity personally.

JoeStrout likes this.
  3. SauronDark

SauronDark

i am new here too, however i like to redirect you to "CatlikeCoding" unity tutorials, its not an ordinary tutorial, author explains everything in very details, and is not a video tutorial. with this tutorial, you can learn Unity engine well of course, with it, C# basics as per Unity required, and Maths to make your Game as efficient. this tutorial might take your 3 to 6 months depends on your learning speed. hope you enjoy learning :)

4. Antypodish

Antypodish

I would suggest learn on the job. Do small bits, and seek for best practices. Mind don't follow into the trap, thinking unity Documents are best practices as well. While they often provide solution, dev would need have to have more experience, to notice such quirks.

However, other than c#,itself, you will need learn Unity APIs. Just start practicing with editor, and expand c# knowladge, as your prototypes progress.

XiaoAichen likes this.
  5. Daryn-Flannery

Daryn-Flannery

Right on, thanks fellas.

At this time, I have 3 friends who are participating in my team-core studio (Education phase)
    Including my girlfriend (laughs).

We are just getting into UNITY engine learning now. Cool stuff.

Joe-Censored likes this.