Search Unity

New to Unity - Create Small Low Poly Town Like Niceland (Wreck-It-Ralph)?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by BlueBeeSage, Jan 13, 2019.

1. BlueBeeSage

BlueBeeSage

Hi Everyone,

I am new to using Unity (I really like it) and would like to create a small low poly town akin to something like Niceland from Wreck-It-Ralph, with one apartment building, maybe a couple stores, and a few businesses where you can buy things like bread or store items using simplistic inventory menus that open up. I really like tutorials by Brackeys on YouTube, but I am not sure where to start or where to search to do something like this. I plan to use pre-made/designed low poly characters and building/prop assets. It would be a very small open world sandbox game, with no defined end goal yet.

I want to test doing basic things, so I feel like this small scale would really help me and I like the concept I thought of. Please let me know. :3

2. - open up unity
    - import some assets
    - start placing the items in the scene (just for test)
    - start playing around with the mouse and the keyboard and the scene

also find a lot of tutorials here from object placement to inventory and UI: https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials

3. Serinx

Serinx

First off, I recommend having an end goal for your first game, unless you're just using it to learn Unity.
    If you actually want to finish it, plan it out so it has a goal.
    For instance, you could have a time limit where you need to run out and buy everything on your grocery list before your wife gets home. This uses all the things you mentioned and has a quick, clear goal which some people might be able to relate to :p
    Then if you want, you can expand on the idea by adding obstacles and extra levels etc.

If you're looking to buy your assets, this pack gives you a lot of low poly city buildings and characters for $20

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/environments/urban/polygon-city-pack-95214

I used it for some prototyping and it really saves you a heap of time.

You'll have to watch some tutorials for how to implement stores and inventories as this is a fairly complex area if you don't have much experience coding in C# or using Unity in general.

Edit: Tip for placing the buildings from that pack (or any pack): Use Snapping

4. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

You scream "MAKE NICE TOWN" at your webcam, unity is totally voice activated

/sarcasm

But for reals, jump onto the asset store and grab assets that are as close to what you envision as possible and start there