Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

New to Unity and the community!

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by MushroomCake28, Sep 5, 2019.

1. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28

Hello everyone! My name is Alex, but I'm known online as MushroomCake28 (especially in other communities) or Kamo Studio. I've been a game developer for a like 4-5 years, but I've never used Unity before. I was only playing around with smaller 2D engines, but in my defense I was recoding everything from scratch (yes I know, the naivety of young coders trying to recode everything).

I'm a coder, but I'm no software engineer expert lol. I'm also a music composer, a skill in which I'm much more confident. I compose mostly orchestral tracks with a classical/film music genre. I've been doing commissions in other communities, so maybe I'll also do the same in this community (is there even a commission section on this forum?). I can also do some 3D modeling, but I'm not so good at it, and it's been a LONG time since I last did some modeling in blender.

If you're interested in some tracks I composed, here's a battle theme for one of my games:

So I released a game recently, so I thought it would be time for me to graduate and move with the big guys. I want to create a 3D single player RPG game with Unity, so that's why I'm joining this community. I'm pretty new here, so I'd be grateful for some tips from you guys:
    1. I'm already a coder (coded a couple of games already), so what would be the best way for me to learn the Unity framework? Any tutorials for programmers (those beginners tutorials that start off at like "what is an integer" are really slow and long...)?
    2. I followed the unity news and came across the Unity's coding revamp (ECS, multi-threading, etc.). Are old tutorials still valid?
    3. Any general tips regarding developing with Unity?
    4. Also side note, is there a commission section on this forum?
    That's it for now I think. Nothing else comes to mind.

Anyways, I'm happy to join this community!

EDIT: Also, is there a dark theme for this forum? :p

JoeStrout likes this.
  2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Welcome to the community! :D

I was in the same situation when I started with Unity. I watched a few videos that showed how to navigate the interface and watched a very short scripting video that showed how to instantiate an object at runtime. For everything else I just used the Scripting Reference.

The only learning resource I'm aware of that is aimed at programmers is a book by @jhocking.

https://www.manning.com/books/unity-in-action-second-edition

Yes, but there are minor differences that come up from time to time. For the best experience you generally want the release the tutorials are made for, but if you don't mind the minor inconsistencies then you can use the latest Unity LTS (Long Term Support) release which is Unity 2018.4.

If you run into anything that just stumps you create a thread in one of the sections that seems most appropriate (we can help with scripting here but the sectioned dedicated to it has way more programmers that for the most part don't bother visiting this section).

We had one a few years back but it was removed. Unity Connect is the recommended path by Unity, but I recommend checking out Reddit too.

https://old.reddit.com/r/gameDevClassifieds/
    https://old.reddit.com/r/INAT/

There is a user maintained dark theme but it requires Stylish (a browser add-on available for Chrome and Firefox).

https://userstyles.org/styles/132368/unity-forum-dark

3. jhocking

jhocking

Yeah my book is almost a direct response to the issue you mention! I frequently describe it as "a book about Unity that skips explaining programming basics like 'what is a conditional' and 'what is a function'".

MushroomCake28 likes this.