Search Unity

New to Unity and Archviz

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by arcitek, Jan 26, 2020.

1. arcitek

arcitek

Hello, I have a project coming up that needs to go into Unity because of the intended platform. I am quite comfortable in Unreal Engine so I have been working with Unity over the last few weeks to get acclimated with it. My question is regarding the pipelines of LWRP and HDRP. The project I am doing will be for mobile and will be of an archviz sort of thing. Any suggestions of what I should be looking at regarding workflows for mobile?

2. arcitek

arcitek

Wow, great to see an active forum and good feedback. Maybe my inquiry is too general. I guess I'll keep digging at this on my own since projects don't sit around and complete themselves.

3. dgoyette

dgoyette

Qualifying your project as an architectural project might make people less confident about giving you an answer. It's definitely more niche than gamedev. I've seen a few people show demos of architectural and landscape scenes, such as one guy who made a cool house that flies out to expose all the inside room using a slider.

Anyway, HDRP isn't for mobile, it's for very high-end. LWRP has been renamed URP as of the just-released version of Unity, and it's more appropriate for mobile and lower-end machines.

As far as starting a project being new to Unity, I think you're much better off not URP, and instead using the existing standard renderer. The main reason is because there is tons more information online (websites, tutorials, etc) on how the standard renderer works than there is regarding URP. URP is still pretty new, and while it's capable, you're just not going to get as much help.

Until you really start pushing the project to advanced graphical features, there's really no big reason to go with URP over the standard renderer. And honestly, 99% of the stuff you'll do to build scenes is the same with either. I'd definitely understand the standard renderer first, and once you understand Unity, decide whether URP has something you want/need.

arcitek likes this.
  4. arcitek

arcitek

Ok, I get it and I never really thought about that. I do appreciate the great response you took the time to write. I kind of figured the HDRP was out and I knew about the new URP. I will take the approach you are suggesting and see where it gets me. I am hoping for good things as I would like to get into Unity more since they are working more closely with Autodesk. products. Thanks again!

dgoyette likes this.
  5. dgoyette

dgoyette

Sure. And welcome aboard. Some tips for using the forums:
    • Be as specific as possible. Often you'll see posts here that say something like, "Something's wrong with my script, but I don't know what..." It's pretty hard to assist in those cases. It's much more approachable if you are very specific about the problem.
    • Use Code tags to post code. That's one of the formatting options here. It makes code a lot more readable if you need to include it.
    • Show that you've made some effort. Posts merely asking for someone else to build something for them don't go over well. People will be more inclined to help if you show what you've got so far and explain what you've already tried.
    • Get used to no responses. I think the forums here are really great. I've been helped countless times here. But probably something like half of my questions don't end up getting responses. Maybe it's a hard question, maybe I asked it badly, maybe the right person just didn't happen to see it. Don't take it personally.

arcitek and fffMalzbier like this.