Search Unity

New to Gaming domain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by motasstudios, May 25, 2020.

1. motasstudios

motasstudios

Im developing small games to learn what is what
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Motas+Games

My first game was A Word game - to learn the process of reskinning
    My second games is a Match 3 game - to learn how to implement a game in a different UI [still under construction]

I have a 10 year old son, im helping him to learn blender via youtube tutorials during lockdown
    its been 2 months now, he just created a snake and ladder game layout, a periodic table stack, a metallic bowling ball and a room with objects aligned

now he's interested to learn sculpting, i hope he can learn something before the end of this year

looking at his interest, and looking at this pandemic situation and uncertainties
    i want him to take over the game development from my shoulders before he is 18years old

so, reading through a few articles and forum discussions
    i have few questions which can help my son to travel in the right direction

1.easiest programming in most complex scenarios
    which is the best programming language that should be considered?
    a] C# b] Python or anything else

2.looking at the rate of AI is growing, is it wise to learn AI which can someday create the game as instructed?
    in that case, should AI programming to be learned?

3.any other expert guidance for my son?

2. EmberWorks

EmberWorks

Hi,

In my opinion you should not worry too much about what programming language he learns, a good programmer learns the theory of programming, a lot of languages act in the same way and the same theory can in a general sense, be applied across them.

Programming is more a way of thinking, rather than "I learned this language" - the same goes to 3D modelling, the 3D modelling principles he has learnt in Blender can be applied to other 3D software like Maya/Max - they just use a different interface, but the fundamentals are basically the same.

When I was taught programming, I was taught Java first because I was told it was a good middle ground between languages like Python, and languages like C++/C#, although Unity focuses on C#, so maybe C# is a good starting point for you. That being said, Python is often seen as a simpler language, and is not used for object oriented programming, so maybe that is a better starting point for you, again - it will teach fundamentals that can be applied to C# and other languages.

Alternatively your son could start with a visual scripting system like Unreal Engines blueprints or Unity's Playmaker (I think it's called?) The best way to describe those systems for me are like visual blocks of code that you can link together, so it's a good stepping stone in to programming, as it gets you into the process of thinking logically.

Not 100% sure what you mean with your AI question, but AI is useful for game dev, AI is obviously used for navigation, enemy AI etc.. and again, learning AI principles will be useful across a range of AI tasks.

3. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

to answer some of your questions.

Yes python trumps all languages in terms of ease of use and understanding. it is the 'go to' for starting and this is especially true for son age bracket. u can use visual scripting but this fails when making 'for' loops - or rather gets tedious.

For learning, he could start with ML, which we are learning now.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/wip-ai-testing.892162/

There is very useful guide by unity and depending on heuristics will depend on task performed. If you have a good gpu like my friend is using '2 nvidia titans in sli' it will help speed up your output rate.

Remember, these come or generates large dataset, or training files. So something that could perhaps, be elegantly programmed is left with a huge 'learning file.'

Maybe over time there will be a way to use the 'ai' to intelligently convert the 'dataset trained file' into a hardcode algorythm.

motasstudios likes this.
  4. Martin_H

Martin_H

"Drawing on the right side of the brain" by Betty Edwards is a great first book for any artist imho.

The forum and wiki on https://polycount.com/ offer a wealth of info for 3D related topics.

I vote for C# because it has strong typing for variables.

motasstudios likes this.
  5. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

motasstudios likes this.