Search Unity

New to Dots and have a few questions

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by McSwan, Aug 16, 2021.

1. McSwan

McSwan

I'm trying a make a neural network in which each "layer" can all be executed in parallel.I want to visualise the network, hence unity, and would like webGL as a platform, if possible.

1. I only want to use Jobs system and burst compiler - Can I use 2021.x ?
    2. Can the hybrid renderer render "normal" gameobjects, and or convert them to entities as desired ?
    3. I can't find the jobs system in 2021? Should I use 2020 LTS?
    4. Does the Jobs system work in webGL ? (maybe using worker threads ?)

Can I run unity in headless mode on a server + jobs system ?

Cheers

2. tertle

tertle

I believe so. Only Entities was listed as being unsupported while burst is considered released so should be supported on all versions.

It only renders entities, however it can convert gameobjects to entities for rendering.

You'll have the same difficulties of adding it in 2020! You need to manually add the package to the package manager
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/dots-releases-latest-release-dots-0-17.1044523/

I'm not sure never tried but burst does not mention WebGL as a supported platform though.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.burst@1.5/manual/docs/StandalonePlayerSupport.html

Yes

xVergilx likes this.
  3. xVergilx

xVergilx

4. Krajca

Krajca

Firstly you should specify what do you mean by "Job Systems", as there are Jobs and ECS systems. I'm not sure what you referring to.

You can freely use Jobs+Burst in 2021 as far as I know. Jobs are integrated with the "core" of Unity and Burst is a released package already.
    As for the ECS systems, there are mixed opinions. Unity states it's not supporting ECS in 2021 or later under further notice. But many peoples said that it works fine for them.

I used both setups: Jobs+Burst (in mono behaviors) and ECS in 2020 and both work fine, but personally can't guarantee a 2021 compatibility.

xVergilx likes this.