Search Unity

Question New to AR Development and looking to implement AR workflow using minimal coding from scratch

Discussion in 'Unity MARS' started by dsouzareenac, Jul 2, 2020.

1. dsouzareenac

dsouzareenac

As a student working on a university project and new to AR development but not so much Unity, I was looking for a tutorial to walk me through spawning a 3d object (globe) using ARkit, AR Foundation, Unity and now MARS. The next step was also spawning multiple objects (different animals) on different notch points on the original object (the 3d globe).
    Any tutorials on getting started with unity, ARKit, AR Foundation and MARS for AR would really help.

2. jmunozarUTech

jmunozarUTech

Unity Technologies

Hello There, Welcome!, to get started with MARS you can check our docs at: https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.mars@1.0/manual/GettingStarted.html

No coding required! ;)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    dsouzareenac likes this.
  3. leweyg_unity

leweyg_unity

Unity Technologies

Some thoughts for @dsouzareenac :

- Using MARS, open the Simulation Window, and drag one of your 3D animal models onto the scene, that should create a "proxy for a table" with the model associated with it. In some sense that is a minimal AR application. You may also want to add via the menu "GameObject > MARS > Data Visualizer > Plane Visualizer" to show how the scanning is coming along.

- To spawn multiple animals, once you have the first, you can right-click on it on the Hiearchy view, and select "MARS > Turn Into > Proxy Replicator" that will now spawn one animal per available plane. Sadly you will have to write some custom script to randomly pick an animal to place at each plane if you want the variety.

4. dsouzareenac

dsouzareenac

Hello. I followed the instructions on the getting started page and could easily get a 3d sphere to appear when running the application. As a next step, I now want to be able to resize and move the sphere. Would you be able to point me to some quick instructions for this one considering it might be a fairly common requirement.

5. dsouzareenac

dsouzareenac

Thanks for your reply. Now that I have followed the instructions to make a sphere appear on a 30x30 plane, how do i get an animal to appear at a specific point on this sphere. Would I have to write some code for this or is there an easier way.

6. jmunozarUTech

jmunozarUTech

Unity Technologies

We have shared a "direct placement" example (https://forum.unity.com/threads/mars-direct-placement-example.908381/) you could take a look into that to place objects with taps.

If its more to place objects on the sphere you could cast a ray from the camera to the sphere and get the point of intersection and then instantiate objects; OR if you prefer to randomly instantiate objects on top of the sphere you could use
    Random.onUnitSphere
    Which Returns a random point on the surface of a sphere with radius 1 https://answers.unity.com/questions/1087572/instantiate-objects-around-a-sphere-inside-a-spher.html Hope it helps!