Search Unity

New Thief Character WIP

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by The7isbest, Dec 9, 2011.

1. The7isbest

The7isbest

Hey, guys and gals. This is a character I've been working on for a couple weeks. He's my first real character work and I'm very proud of him.

I'll be updating him every day or so, whenever I get some real work done on him.

Comments and Criticism are welcomed! Thanks for checking it out!

Made using Silo 2.1, Cinema 4D R11 and Photoshop CS5.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  2. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Good job for being your first serious character work! I am not so fond of the arm texture and the pants need some work but other than that it's great looking!

3. Cominu

Cominu

Great start! I will work more on the feet...seems a bit too little IMHO. Keep up the good work

4. mmuller

mmuller

Agreed on the trousers though, could definitely do with more detail. Other than that, I wish I had the skills to produce meshes that clean...

Regards,

@mspacemedia

5. The7isbest

The7isbest

Thanks for the crits guys! The pants are only a work in progress, just a placeholder texture. Once I finish the hands I'll move onto the legs. I see what you mean. The feet do seem a tad thin. I'll do something about that. Again, thank you.

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I actually think this is amazing. Contrary to what Thomas says, I really like the texturing. The texturing is bold and stylised. Not everything should be realistic. Perhaps it is a little noisy to make out what it would look like at a distance?

My tips:

As an artist you will want to model the proportions typically "heroic" instead of realistic. The main reason for this will surprise you: it is to offset the effects of camera FOV. FOV will cause the extremities to pinch and appear smaller than you intended once in the game. So more bulk around feet and fists.

Texture wise you will want to look at your texture idea from a number of distances. What works up close with more screen real estate, will not work at other ranges. For your texture, I would consider the exact same design but less going on.

To be honest, I would use that quality in our up coming mobile game, so you can't actually be going wrong much!

TL;DR - bulk it up so it it doesn't look funny at typical game camera angles. Make texture less patterned and interesting at a variety of distances.

7. The7isbest

The7isbest

hippocoder, I think you're absolutely right for the most part. Looking at the model from certain views, it does get a bit wonky. That being said, from the angle I have in mind for the project I'm making him for, it looks just fine. But thank you, as that is very good advice and I shall keep that in mind in the future. And thank you for complimenting my texturing, I appreciate it! I'll work to make the hands and feet more "heroic", and also I'll clean up a few parts of the texture that do have a little much going on. Thanks a lot!

8. Ben_Mears

Ben_Mears

Yes, this is looking awesome! Excellent work for your first character.

-My first thought was "Does he have eyes?" and it looks like he doesn't. I'm assuming you didn't forget them, ha ha, so I'm wondering what influenced that decision. Is this character blind or supernatural? It kind of reminds me of the The Blank from Dick Tracy (which is pretty cool) http://image2.onlineauction.com/auctions//34285/gpwm-1084710-1.jpg

-I would agree that the legs and feet could use a bit more detail. It looks like the weapons also have a placeholder texture and it will be cool to see how you texture those. Personally, I think the tattoo type texture on the arms is pretty bad ass.

-I'm really hoping you're going to rig and animate this guy! (and let me take a shot at animating him when he's finished, ha ha)

Keep up the great work man!

9. The7isbest

The7isbest

Hey, Thanks Ben I appreciate it! I've since did some work on the size of the hands and the feet, and yes, the textures on the pants, feet, leg guards, left forearm guard, hands, and weapons are not complete in any sense of the word. He does not have eyes, but from the camera angle and distance you'll see him from, he won't need eyes, as they'll be too far away to really see. I MIGHT do eyes when he's done. Maybe. Depends really. And thank you for the animation offer, but I'm really looking for someone who has some good experience and can rig/animate above averagely. The animations need to be very smooth and quite complex. If you think you have what I need, show me some work and I'll consider it.

That goes for anyone! I really need a rigger/animator for the project I'm working on. If you're interested, link, message, or email me some good stuff and I'll see about it. Thank you very much!

10. jtrencsenyi

jtrencsenyi

Good start! I think you will work with your father on Dungeon Legend 2 soon... ;)

11. StormGamer

StormGamer

Great model dude!
    i would be very proud of me if that was my model... but my skills are in no way that good haha
    also about the textures
    the hand texture i think it looks great
    and the arm texture is very impressive
    also the pants' texture is great for a cartoony type game!
    keep up the good work man!

12. The7isbest

The7isbest

Haha, thank you, jtrencsenyi. I would very much like to be working on projects with Tom, and hopefully in a few months that will be possible. Thanks for your comments guys, much appreciated!

13. The7isbest

The7isbest

Hey folks, new updates tonight! Hope it looks better than it did before. I changed the size of the hands and feet, messed with some of the texture's sizes and whatnot, added two satchel accessories and added more detail where I saw fit. Enjoy and comment, please!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  14. The7isbest

The7isbest

Hey guys. Quick Update. Almost COMPLETELY finished with the texturing of the Rogue! Woo! Tell me what you think.

Attached Files:

15. StormGamer

StormGamer

Looks Awsome! all it needs now is the eyes or i got you an idea you could make his face black with glowing red/yellow eyes that would look good on your thief!

16. The7isbest

The7isbest

Thanks. Actually he's not going to have eyes. No need for them for the project I have in mind, since the camera is going to be at an isometric pov, so naturally you'll never see that part of his face.

17. ivanzu

ivanzu

I think you should at least just paste an eye texture.

18. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

That's looking a lot better. Pants are looking really nice and fit go with the rest. I'd make the ankles a bit thicker perhaps. Good job!

19. artzfx

artzfx

Great work and nice mesh. Will you be adding texture detail to the bow and knives? as they look a little plain in comparison to the intricate detail you have put into the character. Well done.

20. The7isbest

The7isbest

Thanks a lot, guys! artzfx, yes, I'm going to texture the weapons whenever i get spare time between my asset store projects, rigging the thief, and whatever else I have going on. Hopefully they'll look half as cool as the character! Thanks again guys, I'm really proud that my work is generating this many good comments.

21. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

Looks really nice.

What I would do would be to make sure that the various materials shine through: The red swirly shapes on the trousers should have a slightly different shade of red than his coat - the goal is to make it clear this is _decoration_ on his pants.

Same for the tattoos on his arms: moving them a bit towards the basic skin shade will make them feel more like they're part of his arms (rather than his gloves)

22. athomield

athomield

Really Greate Work With Cinema 4D

23. XZ001

XZ001

Because normal words that normal people use everyday just don't cut it for this, Im going to describe it with an extremely nerdy word. This is EXTRORDINARY! (May have misspelled that) I really like it. Looks like someone I might see in Assassins Creed (both the look of him and the quality of the model). Can I ask though, what program did you use to make the texture?

24. The7isbest

The7isbest

Thanks a lot, guys. I suppose you're right. I'll fiddle with the textures to fix that. I used Nevercenter Silo 2.1 to model the base shape of the character, then took it into Cinema to make the accessories and fix anything that needed fixing. I used Photoshop CS5 to make the texture. Keep the comments rolling in, guys! Thanks a ton!

25. BotMo

BotMo

Very nice! Much better than my first characters. You should be careful with the shoulder-pad straps though. With that typology they may animate funny unless you weight them correctly, but this is minor criticism considering that this is amazing for your first character. The texture is also quite good considering that it is a rather low-poly character. It has nice contrast, which is very important if your character is going to be small on the screen (or on a mobile platform).

That aside.. maybe a thief shouldn't be bright red? o.0 He's also quite flashy. I doubt he'd make a very good thief. He looks more like some kind of elite archer. If you color-swapped him into green, he might look like a ranger.