Search Unity

Feedback New Terrain tools affect negatively some of the old tools and workflows.

Discussion in 'World Building' started by soleron, Nov 22, 2019.

1. soleron

soleron

I suppose since the new tools are out for a while now. others have probably pointed these out already, I am new to it, so I may be missing some points others made already.

I love the new tools, and if you could fix these points it would be awesome, if not, it will force some people like me going back and forth between implementations.

The value scale of 0-1 is problematic. It means nothing. In my opinion the scale should go back to Unity units (i.e. meters) as it was the case for many if not most tools in the past. They were less capable, but definitely far more predictable and efficient.

Terrain creation often needs some real world scale units to base your calculations on when you design and modify.

A major problem for me is that the Set Height tool does not go below 0. (I assume this is a result of being based on a different value than metric units? or just an omission?)

This is problematic in a variety of scenarios, unless there is a different workflow or some other setting that allows to do exactly what we used to do in the past in order to block volumes of terrain at specific heights over or under zero. It is instrumental when recreating large areas on a specific plan.

2. neoshaman

neoshaman

THIS

In fact we should be able to define a range to remap values in unity unit.