Search Unity

New Terrain Island Editor

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by sharp911, Jun 4, 2014.

1. sharp911

sharp911

Hey guys

I was looking around for an terrain island editor in the asset store and I could not find one that was with in my budget, and so I started to create my own extension.

It is in the early stages but I have a few of the things working such as the island terrain generation and the texture mapping. There are some bugs that I need to work out before moving to the next features.

Features that I have planned to include:
    • Export/Import of height maps
    • Export/Import of splat maps
    • Tree placement algorithm
    • Change terrain texture where large amount of trees are. ergo forest
    • Add grass to grass texture areas. - 95% Done
    • Add random bushes and rocks to terrain.- Started
    Here are 2 screens of the current inspector editor: The first is the Terrain Generator and the second is the texturing. You can add at least 9 textures. That is as many as I tried. I am assuming you can add more than that. The last one however, I am planning on making the forest ground texture.

Here are a few screenshots of what it currently can do. The skybox and the terrain textures are a part of the standard assets and the water is from FXlabs available in the asset store from Marrrk. I take no credit from this asset what so ever. But I highly recommend it. It is an amazing package.

Here is a link to a webplayer that has the island in the picture with all the current features generated.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  2. norby

norby

nice work

Norby

3. PlanetKiller

PlanetKiller

Those islands gave me a nosebleed, keep up the good work. I usually just make a heightmap in gimp and apply it to my terrain (your islands gave me some ideas).

4. sharp911

sharp911

Thanks guys. @PlanetKiller, didnt mean to give anyone a nosebleed :) The pictures are actually 1 island and I dont mind sharing the heightmap. It is attached.

Attached Files:

5. sharp911

sharp911

About finished with the detail paining of grass.

Also added a webplayer of what the current functions can do.

Please refer to the original post on details.

Web Player

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  6. protopop

protopop

I love it. Those cliffs remind me of something from a Final Fantasy field or JRPG. I find it hard to generate those kinds of cliffs and i think it looks great in the demo. I do wonder what's its marketing angle - is it that it creates islands specifically? that you can generate heightmaps? Fleshed out this is the kind of thing you can sell in the asset store. Thanks for sharing.

7. sharp911

sharp911

the marketing angle is being able to quickly making an island with ease.

Now though the focus is an Island, it can make a general terrain as well. you can turn off making the shores and then get a normal terrain.

You will be able to generate height maps, export/import png, both height map and eventually splat maps.

Now I dont know how quick I will be able to do some of the features as a lot of the terrain api is very poorly or even undocumented, so there is a lot of searching and trial and error with the code. So it is taking a bit longer than I expected.
    But for me personally, I am very pleased with the tool so far as it will greatly reduce the time it takes me to make an island and with good results.

I was going to buy a couple of height maps as I couldnt find a heightmap or make one I liked enough to use, and now I can generate them and love the results.

So marketing angle is as name suggests Island Terrain Editor. Maybe I should change it to Island Terrain Generator.

8. mathias234

mathias234

It looks great

9. sharp911

sharp911

Here is a little update, the fist version of generating a forest.

10. sharp911

sharp911

Updated the webplayer demo with the 1 version of the forest generator

goo.gl/0v6dyH

11. sharp911

sharp911

Have come a little further with the Tree Placement.

Updating the Webplayer demo as well... See op