Search Unity

new Terrain - Brush Target Strength missed ...?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by EwieElektro, Dec 22, 2018.

1. EwieElektro

EwieElektro

Hi

I recently updated to the new 2018.3 version.
    The new terrain is great, but i missed the brush setting "Target strength". It was for my texture painting really important ( big affecting of texture blending with custom shaders).
    It is just hided? or is the feature completly removed?

krjagathdhathri2004 likes this.
  2. rhcapati

rhcapati

I'm missing this setting too, the same bug is happening in 2019.1.0a12.

3. Cre8ive1191

Cre8ive1191

I'm missing the same setting, and haven't been able to find any information on the topic.

4. rhcapati

rhcapati

I sent a bug report, and they said the "Target Strength" is the same as current "Opacity" and The "Target Strength" is deprecated in 2018.3 and newer Unity versions.

Both tools works differently, but together I have the the expected result, I'm sure I can't have the same result by only using the "Opacity". So why "Target Strength" get deprecated?

5. Fer00m

Fer00m

That's a really disappointing answer on Unity's part... I don't think they understand the issue here, because these two were not the same at all.
    Target Strength was vital for blending when using height blending or hand painting stylized terrains and making subtle changes.
    It's unnecessarily difficult with current Opacity setting and the way it works at the moment makes it quite frankly rather useless, because opacity value gets added on top so fast that it's on full 100 value in no time. The only time it is somewhat workable is when Opacity is set to 1.

Jesper-Nielsen likes this.
  6. corjn

corjn

I was wondering why it was so hard to paint with my shader now : o Please Terrain team, we want this back !

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  7. corjn

corjn

8. Meceka

Meceka

I am bumping this thread because we really need this useful feature back.

I expected that "Target Strentgh" disappeared because of a bug. But it's been a long time and it's still not here with both Unity 2018.4.19f1 LTS and Unity 2019.3.7f1.

It was a really helpful feature for blending different textures. Very vital for managing height blending. It's really a shame that I can't even find a post about why this is removed.

This should be a very basic thing to keep in the engine. If target strength is 0.6, then it doesn't depend on how long you brush a place, the painting of that texture can't be over 60% for the area you are painting. Very useful for also having uniquely detailed areas with Microsplat using height blending.
    In example painting cliff texture on grass with target strength of 0.2. Then only highest rocks of that cliff texture appear on grass, giving nice detail.

We were even using it in an inverted way to reduce the effect of some textures in some areas.
    For example, some cliffs also have snow texture blended on them. To reduce it, we set target strength to for example 0.1 and paint over that area. Therefore snow texture can only be as 10% in these areas. If there are areas which are 25% then those areas snow texture amount is reduced to 10% and other textures become more visible.

9. Jesper-Nielsen

Jesper-Nielsen

This needs to be bumped again for sure.
    I can't believe they just removed this feature because it has been vital for me to be able to match a given strength,

10. corjn

corjn

Pro tip because i'm sure Unity will never fix this : just paint your terrain splatmaps with photoshop or gimp, it will save you a lot of time. You should be able to import it with this feature.
    You'll lose instantaneous paint feedback, but will gain in precision, by far.