Search Unity

Question new TAA sharpening modes in 2023.1

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by PutridEx, Nov 7, 2022.

1. PutridEx

PutridEx

I'm curious if the new sharpening modes effects history sharpening? The new options are far better than the old one. But if it's all gone when you move it'll still be a challenge to get good quality. is it possible to expose CAS values? I know the tooltip talks about it, but it seems URP TAA exposes it so just food for thought.

Also, any plans for a 2022 backport?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
  2. fendercodes

fendercodes

Bump. Will we see this on URP also?

3. PutridEx

PutridEx

I think it's in the alph, when I tested latest URP alpha it had contrast adaptive sharpening

4. fendercodes

fendercodes

Yeah, you're right. I just tried it out. I actually got really good results on TAA set to High with contrast adaptive sharpening set to 1. Only issue I am having now is for some reason terrain details cause the MotionVectors pass to go up to like 50ms GPU. Trees are fine (and now look amazing) with TAA enabled in URP.

5. francescoc_unity

francescoc_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Re the backport: not sure, going to discuss this a bit :)

Re: the exposing CAS parameter, I'll see what is possible in the upcoming weeks!

Re: history sharpening, it is still very much an independent thing so no correlation between them. The "main" sharpening pass is run on top of everything at the end, whether there is movement or not :)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
    fendercodes and PutridEx like this.
  6. fendercodes

fendercodes

Thanks @francescoc_unity - having TAA in 2022 (for URP also) would be incredible!! Otherwise we'd have to wait a year to use TAA because 3rd party asset developers won't support non-LTS versions (and I'm guessing we're not too far off 2022 LTS now).

7. sqallpl

sqallpl

@francescoc_unity

Hi,

It appears there's a problem with the 'Post Sharpen' mode when the R16G16B16A16 color buffer format is enabled. The colors seem washed out, as if there's an issue with the application of tone-mapping or something else. This problem doesn't occur in other modes (Low Quality and CAS).

Tested on Unity 2023.1.2

Thanks.

8. PutridEx

PutridEx

Francesco left unity a while ago :(