Search Unity

New system won't work for my game?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Golesy, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Golesy

Golesy

Hi Everyone,

I'm working on a multiplayer building game. I'm looking into upgrading the code I use to the new system and, being fairly new to networking, so far I'm completely lost.

I'm using Unity's old networking setup right now. How it works is players load up a map they're building. They then host their current session on Unitys master server and tell their friends the game name and password so they can join. All the server stuff is done on the host players computer as they're the ones who own the .xml file with the map data.

The new matchmaker system is selling CCU limits, does this mean it will work the same way as photons? For example will all clients need to be connected to the unity game server at all times and count toward the CCU? Or once a connection to a host has been established, will it no longer count toward the CCU count? Being a building game i'm expecting players to spend more than a few hours at a time building levels with friends, if only 100 people in the world can play at one time that will seriously damage the experience.

Also, are Network messages the new alternative to rpc calls? The Command/ClientRPC code seems to only be for network spawned objects, which I'd like to avoid using.

IF I have to revert to the old IP/Port setup I'll have to, but i know that will put off allot of people who dont want to fight with port forwarding crap. And If the new system cant do what i need, are there any alternatives you might be able to suggest?

Thanks!

2. Whippets

Whippets

Write and host your own server based on the uNet hlapi or llapi?