Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Games New Star Trek Enterprise Project in Unity 5 Game Engine (SEE PICS)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by FirstTimeCreator, Feb 25, 2017.

1. FirstTimeCreator

FirstTimeCreator

Hello All,

I am rendering all 20+ million polys in all their vertical glory. (no not all at once), I'm using a custom LOD system I am designing that in theory should allow me to have near unlimited detail (4-6 million polys at any given time) in a local area around the player running at 60-100 FPS on a single GTX 770.

You will be able to tour the entire ship, use ladders, turbo lifts and functional doors as well as entering and exiting Jefferey's tubes and a GUI menu that will allow you to beam to various locations on the ship. This ship is so large you could get lost!

You will eventually be able to fly the superstructure, (pilot the massive ship) as well as seamlessly transition from piloting to the first person character controller aboard the ship. You will also be able to seamlessly transition from first person controller to piloting a shuttle craft to check out the amazing external views in all of their rendered glory.

After the space sim and complex LOD system is done I intent to create a few short cinematic experiences. I am not sure yet what it will be, but it will involve phasers, torpedoes and shields.. perhaps a Borg incursion or a battle with a Klingon bird of prey from the same era.

I spent many hours putting this thing together and fleshing out my LOD software to make it work. I am looking for the creator of this model to ask for permission to use/distribute it within my unity build. I am doing this as a hobby/learning project only, not for any kind of money. I am a programmer, and I am still learning lighting/texturing so my first run may not be AAA quality but it will be "functional" from a software perspective.

Can anyone point me to the person who owns the rights to this model? There is no contact information available on sketchup nor terms of use posted.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/user.html?id=1826765510229366637860484&nav=models

Also, I'm not a modeler, I know enough in sketchup to be dangerous. This model isn't finished / game engine ready. I can fix the issues (and finish models) myself but it is time consuming for me not being very experienced in modeling. I could use the help if anyone is well versed in sketchup and would like to pitch in.

I will post more updates as I go, probably once a week. Should I start a new thread or carry on here?

Thank You,
    Johnny Brown
    onephpmastermind@gmail.com
    Unity Developer

CmdrSisko and 00Fant like this.
  2. CmdrSisko

CmdrSisko

Wow it looks really amazing!

3. FirstTimeCreator

FirstTimeCreator

Thanks, it has always been my dream to build a true to life scale model of the enterprise. I wish I had enterprise D, but this one will do. I had to learn alot before I even started this project ;). Did many other projects including one where I could fly around in a moving ship and seamlessly transition from the pilot seat to the player inside the ship. Boy did that take me a little while to figure out. This,..... well this is even more complicated to actually make the superstructure move in space and parts of the interiors being rendered around windows but not the full ship. Currently I deployed a LOD system, that I came up with, with no help. It is working beautifully. I can have the entire ships superstructure active without any loading or deloading of decks and still maintain a super high FPS rendering anywhere from 4-6 million verts at once and the ship model isn't vertex optimized yet either. There is for sure, a lot of work to do. But I think I can have at least the ladders, turbo lifts and doors working, procedural generated within a few weeks (there are way to many to do it manually!) + the bridge textured and possible the GUI to allow the player to choose locations to beam to across the ship, because it will take you 10-20 minutes to traverse the ship manually from one end to the other ;) and you might get lost without a map. LOL.

4. FirstTimeCreator

FirstTimeCreator

Very early version! Leave me some comments!

JamesArndt and RavenOfCode like this.
  5. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

This makes me wonder if there are good blueprints out there for the NCC-1701-D from Next Generation?

6. FirstTimeCreator

FirstTimeCreator

Not that are near completed or publicly available. There are decks available on 3d warehouse but not the entire ship, with the decks designed to fit within the outer hull and connect properly to the windows/airlocks of the ship.

I have a question though for you professional developers.

It is in regards to moving through space, in the past I have setup a cloned ship with mirrored cameras that allowed any player controller to move on the ship while it is moving, at least "appear" to where the user cannot tell the difference. That method is more resource intensive especially dealing with a larger model.

In this project I am using multiple cameras to render near and far using differed rendering. This way I can have all of the decks loaded but only rendering a certain distance from the player.

I was player around with moving the Far camera and it appears it may be possible to simulate moving the ship, not by moving the world or cloning the camera off a ghost ship but simply moving the far camera and giving the appearance of the world and environment moving around the ship.

What do you think, do you know of any examples of this method or should I just code it and see what happens.

7. khos

khos

Looks nice, how did you make the planet? I would play around with some more lighting outside the ship maybe try to test some volumetric lights, cool so far though! I'm guessing you're a big trekkie fan then.

How about a haze around the planet and get a light to act as the sun with lots of sunshaft rays?