Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

New Standard Assets - a.k.a. Sample Assets, Beta Release

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by duck, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

To be fair, there's a little more going on in that shot...

$cube.png

There's a volumetric lighting effect (the shadow/light shafts in the air), a skybox, and some nice (non grey) lighting. Maybe none of it is hard to do, but there's something to be said for nice defaults, or simple samples (a cube on a plane) polished to a professional sheen (lightmapping etc.).

Personally I think Unity would benefit from simple but polished "gallery" scenes, each showing off an effect or technique (lightmapping, bloom, dof, motion blur, 3 point lighting etc.) Sure an experienced user might build each scene in a minute, but often new users don't even know what's possible, and it can take some trial and error to hone in on good looking settings. Why not just give them the polished scene and let them poke around the settings? *Especially* if it only takes an experienced user a minute to make each one ;)

BTW, I'm loving the new samples assets! Great job!

2. ktmarine1999

ktmarine1999

I love the new sample assets. Did come across a few issues with using them.

Using the mouse does not work very well with the airplanes, it is extremely difficult to control pitch and roll, the airplane levels out as soon as you quite moving the mouse, this should not happen only when using tilt/joystick.

It would be nice if there was at least a place holder in the third person controller for an attack(shooting or a sword swing) animation that is tied to a Boolean value, it is easy to change out animations in a controller to ones that fit your needs, a little harder to add in some extra animations to do things. I think the third person controller needs a lot of work to be fully functional in a game, adding attacks, swimming, wall hanging/climbing.

The camera rigs and scripts are done very well, I did create my own to work the way I wanted it, auto follow, auto rotate when player not moving, and change to a free look camera with a button press. It was mostly copy and paste from the auto cam and free look cam scripts with a few minor changes.

These assets are well thought out and provide a very good starting point to build off from

3. hamyshank

hamyshank

I think that the multi-platform input script is nice to have included, but I would rather have the input directly in the main third person script. Could just include it in but just commented out.

4. Brainswitch

Brainswitch

There are AutoLevel settings in the AeroplaneController script you can turn down to 0 to remove that.

5. ktmarine1999

ktmarine1999

Thank you I have not played around with all the settings on the airplanes. I have spent most of my time playing with the Third Person Controller and the Cameras. The Unity Team did a good job on updating the character controllers. I took a quick look at the car, airplane, and effects. I did find them cool and fun. I found that there are a lot of options for just about everything.

6. JohnTomorrow

JohnTomorrow

The third person character controller could use a little more work. The input needs to be normalized so that you don't move faster when moving on angles. In environments with slopes the player will randomly warp backwards. I'm not sure what causes that. Also in environments with uneven ground the raycast to check the ground could fail which will trigger the falling animation when the character is still on the ground. Probably have to do a capsule check or add more raycasts. Otherwise its pretty sweet.

7. duck

duck

Unity Technologies

(This is useful info for anyone using the new Sample Assets with Javascript in Unity)

Hi KennethVedder,

Currently - unlike the old Standard Assets, the new Sample Assets don't get compiled in an earlier pass - which means you can't reference them in any JS scripts in the same pass, without making a small change.

This is simply down to the name of the "Sample Assets" folder. In Unity, "Standard Assets" is a special folder name that ensures the contents get compiled in an earlier pass, so to fix this, you can rename your "Sample Assets" folder to "Standard Assets", and you should find that you can then use the classes from a JS script!

When this finally becomes integrated with the Unity installer, we'll make sure they behave in this way by default!

- duck

8. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Outch :(

Is quality set for 4 bones on skinnedMeshRenderer? Might help

9. UnityBasic

UnityBasic

Can i use this sample asset and the textures and models(scripts) in it for my paid app on the android market?
    Or can i use any texture script or model from the asset store for my paid app?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  10. eTech3D

eTech3D

Nice Assets, I tried the link before but now it is broken. May I suggest to add
    * more pro Shuriken examples like the ones in the assets store
    * FPS Kit
    Also I was thinking of a way to combine all unity previous demos like Island demo and angry bots in one universal location.

And Yea, Keep the good work UP

11. AfroEntertainment

AfroEntertainment

the package fails to import on my computer, says unknown package id 14474. but as far as i can tell from the online webplayer demo, its pretty cool

12. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Yes, but it doesn't really matter though, as there are only 2 bones close to that joint anyway.

13. duck

duck

Unity Technologies

We're giving the character's rigging an "Art pass" before the next release, and our artist has been looking very closely at all Ethan's joints, so I'm pretty sure he's fixing the stuff you're talking about!

- duck

14. KorsAir

KorsAir

Thanks for the assets, they are really great ;)

However I noticed that in the 2D Character Controller sample you use "slippery" box colliders on the edges of the platforms. Isn't there a more elegant approach to the "getting stuck on the walls while jumping" problem? I'm porting an XNA 2D platformer to Unity and so far this has been my biggest obstacle.

15. Frantico

Frantico

Thank you for this really good stuff, just a question how would you do to get the joystick controller constrain it self to sphere instead of the box like thing the joystick is colliding with in the prefabs? hope that makes sense don't know how to explain it any better

16. SecretStudio

SecretStudio

This is a great set of assets, and as a newcomer especially helpful. I like the jet and waypoints so much so I put a video together of an idea I'm working on... its a rough work in progress and the jet should really be scaled smaller, I tried scaling the jet gameobject and adjusting some of the settings/controls in the inspector but I couldn't get it right as the jet just spun out of control. If anyone knows how to scale the jet I'd appreciate a few pointers, please.

17. hamyshank

hamyshank

Cool, demo/video SecretStudio!

Have you tried scaling up the terrain? Your heightmap is around the size of a small farm when it should be the size of a small country.

But with the larger terrain you'll probably need to optimize your station further. Would be interested to what you find out.

edit: :eek: chad is 1,284,000 sq km

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  18. SecretStudio

SecretStudio

Thank you very much.

Scaling up the terrain makes it pixelated, so I'm trying again by adjusting base map settings and other setting within Real World Terrain. I thought it would be easier and maintain the quality of the terrain if I were to scale the jet down rather than the terrain up. Off to experiment... appreciate the input.

...Later... after these suggestions I did more experimenting by increasing the scale and resolution... and made another video to show the results: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwsdFZZhdLg

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  19. JorgeJustino

JorgeJustino

I would like some advices in how can I approach to achieve this:

- Add drifiting in cars.
    - Add a hand brake, like in Need For Speed Most Wanted.

Thanks in advance

20. Reverend-Speed

Reverend-Speed

Hey folks, best practices programming question here.

I've been slowly chomping my way through the new sample code for 3rd and 1st person controllers and I'm mostly delighted to see you using c# to unify the controller methods - adapting rigidbody characters for fast, reflex-heavy games (with all the lovely toys rigidbodies bring).

However! While I understand that you'd want to use FixedUpdate to interact with rigidbodies, it strikes me that for a lot of games you'd still want to employ Update (for reading fast player input, eg. melee strikes which immediately trigger animations for player feedback). FixedUpdate just won't catch a fast combo or special move (or, hell, just look especially responsive with fast individual actions).

Are there any thoughts on how to marry the new rigidbody/FixedUpdate approach with the Update requirement for fast, responsive play? EDIT - Should we be using Update to set flags that can be caught in FixedUpdate or something? - EDIT

Love Unity, LOVE the new assets. CANNOT wait to see more new code, new architecture, new best practices!

All the best,

--Rev

PS: Should possibly mention, I'm a self-taught programmer - so I hunger ravenously for best practices examples! More! MORE!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  21. aKANJ

aKANJ

Thank's!! This pack of assets is awesome!

Have people asking for add some things like drift, nitrous for the car, stall for the plane, etc.

I think it's enough what is given with this pack. It's a general package. It's the objective of the developer to create a specific car, plane, etc. based on this package. This is what I think!

Thanks for all who worked on this.

22. kilik128

kilik128

about the classic jump between 2 platform if i understand the theory i must stop the navmesh and reactive him

23. MrRobville

MrRobville

I wasn't able to find an answer yet so, I'm playing around with the 3rd person character inside a simple testing stage. While importing the character and camera went fine, I seem to be unable to get the sounds for this character to work. (Footsteps, jump and land). These sounds are included in the asset package but I'm unable to figure out how to make them work. Does anyone know how to enable these sounds?

P.S. I'm not very experienced yet with Unity.

24. Anyasha

Anyasha

Mine is getting stuck at re-serializing assets...any tips to fix this?

25. ezonecom

ezonecom

First off this is an amazing resource for both beginners and Unity vets - great work!!

The only bug I noticed was in the web player if you change into slow motion on the particle demo and then try the car demo the timeScale is still slow mo.

26. OZAV

OZAV

Hi all, great work,
    ONE QUESTION
    Before final release:
    -Will the XBOX360 (wired) controller be supported, with an working FPS game sample ?
    It will be great to have it, in the final release ...
    (I can direct you proper link, for proper driver, for WinXP, and WIn8, for it, let me know, Duck)
    Cheers.

27. kilik128

kilik128

i try animator.MatchTarget(RightHand.position, RightHand.rotation, AvatarTarget.RightHand, new MatchTargetWeightMask(new Vector3(1, 1, 1), 0),0.2f,0.3f);

like other exemple but nothing to do ? anyone can help please thank's

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  28. wheelbarrow

wheelbarrow

I just tried the particles scene, and as soon I tried the complex fire, Unity froze up, as it does quite often when using win 8.1 (full retail release, not the upgrade). Brand new rig, fastest Intel core i7 out there atm (3.4ghz), latest gen NVidia graphics card, 8 gb ram, and unity still brings it all to a screeching halt - please fix it...I didn't pay for Unity Pro to stop working if my OS is new.

The car sandbox ran fine, only problem so far is the one listed above...I have yet to try the others.
    Cheers.

29. kilik128

kilik128

i don't found MobileInput in my scène but it's look activate
    so i try get keyboard CrossPlatformInput +virtualAxes in scene time for testing
    any help please

30. duck

duck

Unity Technologies

Hi All,

I just released an update to the Sample Assets beta. The feedback has been great so far, and we've tried to address as many issues and requests in this update as possible.

Changes include:

* Fix for first-person controller so it sticks to ground when running up/down slopes.
    * Added simple arcade style 2-axis aircraft control example.
    * Added "Handheld Camera" prefab. Has realistic fuzzy tracking of object, and auto zoom to fit target in view.
    * Updated mobile particle effects for better performance.
    * Character model ('Ethan') re-skinned, fixed bone weights, joint orientations and interactions, and blending errors.
    * Added Blackberry platform to cross platform input code.
    * Better cursor locking handling.
    * Fixed camera in car scene, so loop-the-loop is possible!
    * Added custom defines in Cross Platform Input, so examples will work without Cross Platform Input package (for when packages are separated).
    * Added menu item in Cross Platform Input so user can choose between mobile/standalone input when testing in editor with a mobile build target selected.
    * 1st person character plays jump sound during repeated jumps.
    * Optimised 3rd person character so rayHitComparer is only created once.
    * Made controllers handle the 'no MainCamera' problem.
    * Made aircraft point nose (a little) down when stalling
    * Clamped input magnitude of 3rd person controller, so diagonal movement is not faster than forward movement.
    * Removed dependencies between packages.
    * Removed unused ref to ThirdPersonCharacter in FreeLookCam
    * Script tidying
    * Increased skybox resolution import settings
    * Small scene improvements (cam positioning, obstacles)

You can update your package in the Asset Store window from Unity, or download the package fresh, here.

The webplayer demo has also been updated, try it out in your browser here.

31. UnityBasic

UnityBasic

Can i use this objects and scripts for my paid app in the app store?

32. kodmistrz

kodmistrz

Is it possible to use Third Person Character with Generic Mecanim Character (no Humanoid)? I've tried this but my character only rotate and can't move :( Please help me. It's very important to me.

Thank you.

33. NinjaBear

NinjaBear

Just a quick question... If I'm Instantiating the Third Person Player as a Prefab, and then the Free Look Camera as a Prefab right after.... it breaks the following action of the camera when the player moves away..... am I missing something? I look in the Inspector while paused and the prefabs i have made of these two have not changed and the cam is pointing to the Player... I'm instantiating on another Prefab 'GameMaster' which is holding a Start Function creating both in order at the start of the game.... all items are tagged appropriately as well

I'm Also getting these constant errors on the Player Character

NullReferenceException
    ThirdPersonCharacter.PreventStandingInLowHeadroom () (at Assets/Sample Assets/Characters and Vehicles/Third Person Character/Scripts/ThirdPersonCharacter.cs:141)
    ThirdPersonCharacter.Move (Vector3 move, Boolean crouch, Boolean jump, Vector3 lookPos) (at Assets/Sample Assets/Characters and Vehicles/Third Person Character/Scripts/ThirdPersonCharacter.cs:87)
    ThirdPersonUserControl.FixedUpdate () (at Assets/Sample Assets/Characters and Vehicles/Third Person Character/Scripts/ThirdPersonUserControl.cs:79)

Also... the Third Person Character's head is all screwed up for some reason with the glasses being offseted...

And yes... i just updated the latest asset

34. NinjaBear

NinjaBear

i just tried replacing the target in the inspector on the fly while the game is running with the instatiated character and it works.... so how would I go about replacing the target after the camera has been instantiated, because the find player tag in the cam script doesnt seem to work

35. NinjaBear

NinjaBear

nevermind, just set the target to none in inspectorand the script kicked in

36. kodmistrz

kodmistrz

Can I use Third Person Character with Character in-place animations?

37. kilik128

kilik128

about Cross Platform Input it's possible to use him in javascript ? please how

38. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

So I've noticed that in these assets, as well in most of the new tutorials and samples, Unity seems to have avoided the Character Controller and gone with RigidBody and custom code for first person, third person, and Mecanim NPC characters. Is it safe to say that Unity is going to abandon the flaky Character Controller? Would we all be better off biting the bullet and switching to RigidBody instead of hoping for some miraculous performance fix for Character Controller?

39. sagron6015

sagron6015

Webplayer link in your post is broken - starts with a .unity3d.com so missing subdomain?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  40. Dantus

Dantus

41. ckrin

ckrin

hey everyone,

maybe you guys have an idea that helps me out.

i'm currently trying to set up a scene with these prefabs:
    "Mobile Single Stick Control Rig" in combination with a
    "Multipurpose Camera Rig" and the
    "Third Person Character"

my character is rotating to the left handside fulltime if joystick isnt moved. if i disable the joystick from the "Mobile Single Stick Control Rig" the problem disappears.
    this problem only appears on my mobile device and only if a joystick is set up. if a touchpad input is used everything works fine.

any ideas? thanks in advance and keep up the awesome work with these new sample assets!

Edit: works fine since i changed Dead Zone from 0 to 0.2

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  42. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Hi Duck <wave>, been a long time.

First off I must say this is most impressive and I welcome the effort Unity are putting into improving learning as well as providing useful assets for developers to build on. I think others have clearly indicated how great these sample assets are and their usefulness to developers, however personally I some concerns with the package as it stands.

The major concern may well be mute depending upon the final delivery mechanism, but others I feel realy need to be considered and addressed before this goes live or else we'll be stuck with the decision and the problems they might cause for many versions of Unity to come. In fact several concerns have been around for such a long time and i'm rather surprised they haven't already been addressed as this update would seem to be the perfect time to do so.

1. The Kitchen Sink

My biggest concern and one which can cause a cascade of further issues is that based on the beta package, everything is included (i.e everything but the kitchen sink). Its not clear from this thread or the blog as to whether this will be the final delivery method or not.

Now I can fully understand that for the beta process this was the easiest method of delivery and could easily see that several parts could or should be able to be provided as separate packages on their own. However you then have aspects such as 'scenes' which have dependacies on pretty much all ther other sub catgeory sample folders and without having the time to really look, there may well be many cases of sub-categories relying on assets from other ones. So I'm not sure I want to make the assumption that this is will all work itself out in the end, hence bringing up this here.

So I'd like to know what are the plans in terms of distributing the sample assets package/s?
    Will they be split up or will it be one mega package as it is now?
    If they are split up what will the various packages be?

Having a single package would seem to be returning to the bad days of Unity 2, where everything was included in just a couple of packages (standard and pro) and which Unity 3.0 vastly improved upon by seperating out. Even if the Samples vs Effects Folder isn't enough granulaity, as the effects folder basically contains everything just like back in Unity 2.6.

Some specific concerns about having a single package are

1.1 Project Bloat
    The sample package is already 150mb, uncompressed into a project it becomes 900mb! While you could use the package importer to select a sub-set of samples, its a real pain as the importer window is not that great (really needs some work on it like collapsible folders) and its impossible to know before hand what inter-dependencies exist.

A big issue here is what will happen when novices import this package for there first great game, then run into issues because they don't know or can't work out how to remove the stuff they don't need and end up instantly with a 900mb project before they even start. How are they going to share their project? I mean I checked out a game today from the Global Game Jam, that was just full of unused crap (the game itself was rather good). It just seems like its going to end up being trouble.

1.2. Bandwidth
    The package is already clocking in at 150mb, which for me is nothing, but i'm painfully aware that not everyone has unlimited download caps or even megabit download speeds. If everything is in a single package this will cause much frustration as its clear the intention is to keep this maintained and build upon over time, so its only going to get larger.

Only the other day I was having problems downloading Unity 4.3.4 (installer was constantly corrupt - think it was a browser issue) and asked on support if someone else could test it. Some kind soul said they would try but that it would take them 2 hours to download it! On that basis this would take over 10 minutes for them to download. Fair enough as a one off that's not a problem, but if it gets updated or bug fixes this can quickly add up and would be really annoying if those fixes apply to just 1 or 2 files of the 150mb package.

1.3 Samples vs Assets

I find it peculiar that we have samples which are more akin to learning tools or frameworks and then essential assets for extending or expanding the features of Unity (e.g. physics materials, image effects, character controllers, particle effects etc). To my mind these are very different elements and they should not be mixed in together. As I might want to use the former as a basis for a project or learning, whilst the latter are often essential and included in every project. As such it makes sense to me that these elements are kept separate.

2. Image Effects in Javascript.
    I was really disappointed to find that image effects are still be delivered in js, especially after reading how all the scripts in the package were moving to c#. I find it so frustrating that image effects are in js as it pollutes my projects and can be a pain to work with ( compile orders etc). I was really hoping that Unity would have taken the opportunity of this new sample package to update the images effects to c# or at least provide c# versions.

Now obviously someone would make the point that I could do this myself, but I'm afraid its just too impractical, not to mention in-efficient, having hundreds of developers all making their own c# version of the js. Then there is the problem that Unity has jumped into providing far more frequent updates, meaning any conversion of the image effects will need to be checked against the js version each time and updated if any changes have been made, which I don't feel would be an easy task.

It just seems ludicrous to demand that each developer take over responsibility for updating the image effects from js and c#, when Unity could deal with it far more efficiently.

3. Best Practise
    I'm kinda of surprised to not see namespaces and file naming conventions being used, both of which I feel are essential these days. Just looking through the script file names/classes I can easily see they are going to cause conflicts and I think that's just bad form. Please take the opportunity to rationalise file names and classes so that they are easily identifiable as being provided by Unity and so they don't name clash with developers or 3rd party assets.

4. The Minimum Unity Spec

As already mentioned its bummed a few out that this needs the latest version. In the real world there are so many reason why developers cannot upgrade to the latest version of Unity. Heck myself i'm still working in 3.5.7 for 75% of my client projects due to legacy issues. There are other factors such as Unity's changes in licensing terms, code bases, 3rd party frameworks, so it is not an issue to take lightly.

However having said that I completely understand why this is focused on supporting the latest versions of unity (though I can't help feeling it could drop down a minor number or two), but the important aspect to take away from this is that going into the future you don't keep this pegged to the latest version of Unity as its just going to cause problems.

In many ways I feel this probably comes back to the whole kitchen sink argument again. When you put so much and so many different competing features into a single package its going to cause problems. Say a new sample asset uses something from Unity 4.4 or 4.5, suddenly the whole of this wonderful resource is limited to that minimum version, despite 95% of the samples not requiring it at all.

5. Integration
    How will this package/packages be integrated into Unity via the asset store?

Its sort of implied that the final version may well be integrated as we currently have with packages available from right-click menu on project window, but I'm unsure how that will work with packages being updated via the asset store? If it isn't then I guess we are stuck going through the asset store to import these packages?

As much as I like the asset store, I find importing packages from it a pain. it takes a good while to open and load the default page, then you have to switch to your downloads, maybe re-sort them by publisher, scroll down, find the package, select it, wait for it to unpack, view it in the Importer window, select sub-folders etc. It doesn't sound like much, but compared to a simple right-click in projects window - import package - select package its a huge time waster.

There are two issues here, one is using the asset store, the other is the Importer window.

The asset store access is slow, which is annoying since often I don't care about the store and just want to access my downloaded packages easily. Obviously I could right-click - import custom package and then dig down through explorer to find the packages themselves, but thats just as big a pain. I have no idea why Unity hasn't yet provided a preference as to where the packages are saved to.

The package importer window is not very well designed or rather its not kept up with the demands on it. Its especially awkward to use when a package has a large number of assets that you want to select a sub-set from.

Possibly the best solution would be to integrate package importing of asset store packages into the current right-click menu, though it could become unwieldy, maybe if kept to only supporting official Unity packages it would be ok?

Anyway like I said I'm really impressed with the quality and range of samples being created and offered, its just some of the implementation, distribution I have concerns with.

43. dibdab

dibdab

is there no way to export just the assets used in a scene?

44. jvt619

jvt619

does anyone having an error in MeshCombiner when Played?

45. LaneFox

LaneFox

Just messing around with the Light Shafts script (wow, big improvement!)... How do we go about defining the camera(s) at runtime? If you intend to put the effect in a prefab then you need to fill the cameras at runtime. Maybe its a dumb question, but the partial scripts are confusing me.

#edit
    Okay, I just added a method to explicitly define m_Cameras[] at runtime in the utils partial. Not as flexible but works fine.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  46. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

one word... EPIC. that is all i have to say about these assets. definitely like the cars!

47. BurningthumbStudios

BurningthumbStudios

Maybe its been said, maybe not I didn't read through everything. Anyway I'd like the cross platform input to work such that BOTH desktop and MOBILE inputs can be used in an EITHER / OR method. For example in the 2D scene there is a joystick and a jump button. Works great with Unity Remote. But a lot of the time I don't want to use Unity remote. So how about this, if the input system detects mobile inputs, use them, if the input system does not detect mobile inputs, then look for desktop inputs and use them. I do this all the time in my games. It really makes testing mobile *a lot* easier as I only need to use a real device for the testing of the final project. Just an idea...

48. alexmbrau

alexmbrau

Everything looks great so far. The only thing missing on the Ai parts is obstacle avoidance.

49. bbrooks01

bbrooks01

Is it just me or does the new fpc wall run?

50. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

I've just started playing with this, and really like what I see so far. One comment though: has anyone else had a problem with the direction of the default pitch control on the airplanes? When I tried to fly the propeller plane using my standard joystick settings, the pitch was reversed. Pushing forward made the plane go up, and pulling back made it go down. This made flying very confusing. I didn't want to remap my joystick inputs, since they work fine with everything else, so my first reaction was to edit the AeroplaneController.cs script to fix it. Then I discovered the existing PitchEffect setting. Changing it from 1 to -1 fixed the problem nicely. No editing required. I guess they really did think of everything. Duh.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014