Search Unity

New Standard Asset Characters - Third Person

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by willgoldstone, Apr 13, 2018.

1. filod

filod

Issue remains. If you ever played any third person game with mouse, you will know this type mouse camera control is not ideal at all...
    "with a mouse it really needs to be 1:1 frame-perfect responsiveness" is what we need, but still don't know how to tweek it within cinemachine.

-------------- edit --------------
    for those guys still questioning 1:1 responsiveness, check this may help
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/free-look-camera-and-mouse-responsiveness.642886/

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  2. Genay78

Genay78

Hello there,

I'm trying to get started with the asset, it's quite something.

I installed every packages needed but I didn't understand this :
    1. As Preview Packages are currently used, you also need to tell the Package Manager to be able to download them by adding the following Registry outside of the dependencies:
    Maybe that's what I missed.

Here the errors I got :

- The namespace '<global namespace>' already contains a definition for 'StandardControls'
    - type 'StandardControls' already defines a member called '.ctor' with the same parameter types
    - Duplicate user-defined conversion in type 'StandardControls.MovementActions'

in the 24 errors I got, 22 says "already defines..."

That's it, thanks for reading

Unity version : Unity 2019.1, (I'm gonna try with some 2018 versions just in case)

3. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Feel better but there's still mouse input latency happened

4. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

also when you spam jump while running the camera snap up and down

5. Luke-Lamothe

Luke-Lamothe

Ok great, thanks for the feedback. Just wanted to let you know that we will be chatting about this further internally and will get back to everyone the forums here when we can.

6. Luke-Lamothe

Luke-Lamothe

Hey there, :) Apologies, that line in the Documentation was out of date, and SAC no long uses any Preview Packages, so that line can be ignored.

Are you able to open and run SAC without issues when you pull it down into a clean folder and open it by itself?

If you are adding SAC to an existing project, you only need to make sure that the Cinemachine, Input, ProBuilder, and Post Processing packages are added to your manifest. But be sure to also have whatever other packages that the version of Unity that you are using may require.

Additionally, if you are adding SAC to an already created project, be sure that the New Input package can be used properly by making sure that
    Active Input Handling
    is set to
    Both
    . This is found under
    Project Settings -> Player -> Other Settings -> Active Input Handling

7. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

I'm actually wondering why this is have to be additional component for SAC, shouldn't it be a part of cinemachine? maybe somekind of Mouse Input mode selection for freeLookCamera or additional module for cinemachine?

8. Genay78

Genay78

Hello there,

Thank you for your reply and your help.

So I started over making the following action :

- create a new project on unity 2018.3
    - install the 4 packages making sure active input Handling is set to both
    - drag the folder of SAC in the project
    - run the SimpleMouvementController scene

Unfortunatly still impossible to run and this time I got 247 errors

Maybe I should wait until an official and stable release comes out...

Sorry to fail despite your help haha

9. dave24BG

dave24BG

Are you able to try this in Unity 2019.1.8? I was having some package related issues when trying to open this project in an older version of Unity, as 2019.1.x does update some of the packages that may not work in 2018.x versions of Unity. If you are able to get that version of unity, try and open this project fresh from the Unity hub. You wont need to create a new project, just clone or download this repo and open it as-is from Unity hub( with version 2019.1.8f1). If that still dosent work, if possible send some of the errors and I will help you further!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  10. transat

transat

So good to see this being worked on again, @Luke-Lamothe . Thanks!

A thought: I think the ThirdPersonInput should default to the StandardControls but still allow users to override those controls with their own. Or perhaps it should use PlayerInput?
    A question: The StandardControls can automatically broadcast to OnMove, OnLook, OnJump, etc... via PlayerInput. Do we still have to register those actions by code? Should OnMoveInput, OnLookInput, OnJumpInput in the new character controller ditch the "Input" so that it matches the StandardControls?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  11. Genay78

Genay78

Thank you very much for your help.

- I launched the project in Unity 2019.1.1
    - updated every packages
    - drag the SAC asset folder

This time I decided to do not put anything and the scene and start play : I have 24 compiler errors, I show you in the following picture :

12. AntonQvarfordt

AntonQvarfordt

Is there any version of the model/rigs that's set up with a control rig & similar animation utilities? If so is that something that could be somehow included in the package or otherwise obtained?

13. transat

transat

14. transat

transat

Or is it as simple as moving all the code in all the FixedUpdate methods to Update? And if so, does it matter if it goes before or after any existing Update code?

15. dave24BG

dave24BG

Thanks for the repo steps.

If I open a new project and just copy the contents of the asset folder in, I also get the same errors as you did.

I was able to fix the project by doing the following after your steps.

So, you can start a new project, then copy the assets in, you will get dozzens of errors… After this, try the following.

1. Project Settings -> Configuration - > Make sure your scripting runtime and Api compatibility are set to 4.x

2. Project Settings -> Player Settings - > ‘Active Input Handling’ to BOTH

3. Save, and restart Unity

4. Open up the project again

5. Copy the entire contents of this manifest as is, and replace your entire manifest with it. You will find the manifest in your Project/Packages/manifest.json, just open it in notepad or something and replace the whole thing with this one, then save that manifest.json file and head back to unity, wait for the packages to compile/update and the errors should all disappear.
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/Standard-Assets-Characters/blob/master/Packages/manifest.json

Please let me know if this has fixed your problems, if not, try just opening the SAC project, without copying the assets into a new project.

I suspect the cause of the issue was having a new project, then adding a bunch of scripts that have various package dependencies, so by replacing/updating your new projects manifest, it should fix those errors.

Update me when you have tried this!

Cheers

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  16. Genay78

Genay78

Hi,

I did all the steps you mentionned, but unfortunatly, I was unable to get rid off those 23 errors.

BUT.
    I open the project without copying the assets and it was all right !
    So I could try and test the controls thanks to your tip. I really appreciate your help here.

17. Genay78

Genay78

A quick feedback for the third character controller :

It's really encouraging. It's smooth and confortable to use, and I find it pretty well balanced.
    Even the jump is pretty cool ! This is definitly something I could consider using in my game.

Some stuff can be improved, the camera has some wierd collision behaviours sometimes.
    Also the visual effect when sprinting is pretty unconfortable for the eye.

But this is pickyness and the overall result is really satisfying in my opinion.

I just hope this will be polished and release soon and not in X years or juste abandoned.

Thanks for the hard work !

18. Muhamad_Faizol

Muhamad_Faizol

Hi all,

Just downloaded the project from github repository and tried this on Linux platform with no success. Opened the project in both 2019.2.0f1 and 2019.3.0a10, and in both cases I can't move the character either using WASD or arrow keys. I can rotate the camera using mouse with no problem, just no keyboard input. Any pointer on how should I go about to control the character?

TIA.

19. dave24BG

dave24BG

Hi there,

I was able to see this bug, it is part of the New Input System, currently it is already reported. https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...g-is-set-to-both-keyboard-input-stops-working

You can try fix this by changing Active Input Handling from 'Both' to 'Input System (Preview)'

You can find this drop down under Project Settings > Player > Other Settings > Active Input Handling*

20. transat

transat

You could try using Input System 0.9.0 instead, from the Package Manager. 0.2.10 is reasonably old.

21. Muhamad_Faizol

Muhamad_Faizol

Hi dave24BG,

Thanks for the reply. Your link to the bugtracker helped me to try this project. It seems the problem is the input can't be both input systems in the Editor (on Linux). So I had to build this project to successfully test it out.
    I did try changing the input system to new input system, but since the old system was still referenced in the script (Assets/_Standard Assets/Characters/Scripts/Common/CharacterInput.cs:214), the scene can't be run in the play mode.

Thank you for the help, I was able to play around with this asset.

Cheers,
    Faizol

22. Onat-H

Onat-H

Hi Luke, sorry for the late reply, we were actually already thinking about switching to another CC as we thought the project was abandoned, so I'm very happy that this moves on :) Unfortunately it's not that easy to share something with you, as we have integrated a lot of our systems. The timeline thing is very easy to test though, only thing you basically need is setting up a timeline with an animation track pointing to the animator of your sample character. Now when you put one of the walking animations on that track, the animation is played, although the character doesn't move (even weirder things happen if you try to change the transform offsets)
    The expected behaviour would be that upon being moved by the timeline, the character moves through the root motion animation, and once the timeline has reached it's end, the player regains control and can continue from this point on.
    Looking forward to a solution for this :)

Cheers,

23. id0

id0

I suppose he wants the character to be able to walk on the wall or ceiling if gravity changes. I also want to.

24. awesomedata

awesomedata

Definitely gotta agree with @Reanimate_L on this:

Why not make things like this pull in the parts of the API's they need -- i.e. Cinemachine -- if a feature module like this is required?
    It's good to have modularity, and since this is a Unity-developed project, keeping this consistent and interoperable should be a breeze, provided proper modularity.

Besides, if Unity is trying to push modularity for DOTS in general, they should be stepping up to the plate to make their own internal programming teams support programming this way internally.

"Practice what you preach" comes to mind here...

25. awesomedata

awesomedata

Gah...

Finally getting around to playing with this again, and in less than 30 seconds I notice it still has some glaringly amateurish issues... I'm sorry, but why is nobody saying anything about this...?

1. The controller thinks it's running/grounded when sliding down a steep incline during a jump.

2. Sometimes the "variable height" on the jump doesn't register after tapping the jump button once and then pressing and holding it after landing to perform another (higher) jump. This doesn't happen always, but it does happen often enough. Probably a bug with registering an "action" with the input system.

3. Sharp directional changes in the air to the left/right when jumping forward feel terrible.
      Any sharp directional changes while jumping in the air feel terrible, actually. :(

For example:

1. This check should decide whether it's on a slope (based on a slope angle preference) and stop gravity if it is above a certain threshold -- OR -- it should let the character fall (as it does currently) and keep the animation in a "fall" state.

2. Seems like a bug to me -- Perhaps it's an Input System bug? -- It is game-breaking nonetheless.

3. This is should be an option -- i.e. provide an option to allow the player to change direction midair, or not -- but NEVER give them the ability at one point in the jump but then take it away from the player later!
      The in-air behavior should be scriptable in general though -- i.e. I might want to fly/swim/etc. while not touching the ground -- so most character controllers use an explicit "in-air" state and use the physics just before entering this state to _inform_ it.

And somebody's already said something about the seasick camera during jumps, so there's that too...

Besides instantly stealing my mouse control (without my permission), that's really the only major issues I've had with this controller...

This really does have potential! -- Please fix these issues because I want this to succeed!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    Shizola likes this.
  26. dave24BG

dave24BG

There is a new branch called SAC_Mouse_Precision. This is using a new Cinemachine 2.3.5 preview.3 package with a Cinemachine feature for the Axis Control that will give 1-1 mouse look with no acceleration or deceleration on the camera. In this branch, the 'Speed' field of the Cinemachine cameras is set to 'Input Value Gain'. The other option is 'Max Speed', which will behave as it has in the past.

There is also a component on the character that will allow you to use Input Value Gain speed mode(1-1 mouse) with added acceleration and deceleration when using gamepad, so gamepad feels as it did before, and mouse is more responsive.

Keep in mind, this branch has not been merged into master yet as it is not finalized.

awesomedata likes this.
  27. Aaron-Meyers

Aaron-Meyers

I've been using this Character Controller in a project for a while. Today I tried to upgrade it to the latest from the git repo and I seem to have ALMOST everything working except for some reason, my mouse doesn't seem to do anything at all!

I'm at a bit of a loss. All the keyboard keys are working fine. When I go to the Simple Moving Platforms example scene, everything works as expected (including mouse), but for my own character: nada.

When I look at the live camera in the Simple Moving Platforms scene in the inspector and move my mouse around, I can see the Input Axis Value for both Horizontal and Vertical changing as I move my mouse. When I do the same thing for my character, nothing happens! The definition of input axes is project wide so I'm a bit baffled as to why they don't send values in my separate character setup.

I feel like I most be overlooking something really stupid, but I can't figure it out. Anyone have any ideas?

28. transat

transat

Is the character controller compatible with the Player Input component from the new Input System? If I add PlayerInput.cs to my OpenCharacterController character and specify my own InputActionAsset file in there... would that override the StandardControls defined in CharacterInput.cs or supplement them?

29. dave24BG

dave24BG

Hi there,

The Cinemachine camera look values are controlled by the CinemachineCore.GetInputAxis override in CharacterInput.

So, the axis string names in the Cinemachine inspector are just used as a reference to see which axis value Cinemachie needs, this value is then sent to Cinemachine from the LookInputOverride method at the bottom of CharacterInput.

Could you send some screenshots of how you have set up your own character?

30. dave24BG

dave24BG

Yes, you can make your own Input Action assets with your own defined controls.

Are you referring to this kind of PlayerInput? https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...nity.inputsystem/Documentation~/Components.md

If you want, you can add this type of component with your own input action map and bindings. If you made a new input action map, you can add a PlayerInput to the character, add your new input actions to PlayerInput. Set the behavior to ‘Invoke Unity Events’ then in under events > action map you will see a list of all the action events that you can invoke from this action map.

If you still have m_StandardControls = new StandardControls() in the Awake() of CharacterInput, as well as all the registering and deregistering of the action events in OnEnable() and OnDisable() in CharacterInput (and First/ThirdPersonInput), then the two input action maps will work side by side, meaning that if you have two separate bindings to the same event, one in StandardControls and one in your new input actions in a PlayerInput component, they could both trigger it. So be sure to remove the StandardControls() references from CharacterInput (First/ThirdPersonInput as well), and it will work.

You will also have to make the event methods public in CharacterInput in order to see them from a PlayerInput component. Eg, OnMouseLookInput, OnMoveInput, etc.

Is this answer along the lines of what you are asking? If not, please send some more details or use cases.

transat likes this.
  31. transat

transat

@dave24BG That's exactly what I wanted to know. Cheers! But it also makes me wonder why include that code in the CharacterInput.cs to begin with? Wouldn't the standard asset be more flexible if the default was for the new character controller to use PlayerInput instead? Then I could just write a script which inherits from ThirdPersonInput.cs to extend the controls with some new actions and have these be triggered from my custom input action asset. As it stands, it's a pain to have to hack at the controller every time (and with each new update) and there are also a bunch of unintended consequences.

Making that change would make the controller more beginner friendly as well as more flexible. :)

32. transat

transat

It would also take advantage of the good work done by @Rene-Damm and his team and allow plug and play multiplayer set-ups (via the player input manager).

33. Genay78

Genay78

dave24BG, only 8 messages posted but he always strikes.

dave24BG likes this.
  34. transat

transat

@dave24BG @willgoldstone @Rene-Damm PlayerInput.cs is no longer properly working with the latest version of the Input System (0.96) so it's not currently an urgent deal breaker but, at the risk of repeating myself, I really think you should consider the following for the new Standard Assets Character:

1. rename OnMoveInput, OnStrafeInput, etc. to OnMove, OnStrafe, so that user don't need to hack at your code as much if they want to use PlayerInput.cs with Send/Broadcast Messages. A tiny one-off change for you, but a lot less pain for some of your users.
    2. provide other versions of CharacterInput.cs, FirstPersonInput.cs and ThirdPersonInput.cs which would actually be compatible with PlayerInput.cs without needing any hacking. I think most users would expect this to be a "standard" feature considering both assets are developed by Unity.
    3. abstract away all the Input System registration code so that it either doesn't live in CharacterInput.cs, FirstPersonInput.cs and ThirdPersonInput.cs or can at least be disabled - and then provide users a checkbox to allow them to bypass the registration when they want to use PlayerInput.cs.

Shizola likes this.
  35. transat

transat

Is it possible to add the github package to a project via package manager? Haven't had any luck.

36. Genay78

Genay78

Any news of the project?

37. neoshaman

neoshaman

I lost all hope when they retrograded their ambition personally, if it's just to prototype quickly and not have a solid foundation to build on the scale of the game they ask us to present ... why I would need more than a raycast and a capsule? There is free asset for that too. SO they probably will just refresh it for newcomer.

transat likes this.
  38. transat

transat

At Unite Copenhagen Unity announced a new character controller, with DOTS animation, IK, etc and said it would soon be available to the public. Whether they were referring to this controller or not, we do not know. We're clearly just disposable beta testing guinea pigs. :)

39. neoshaman

neoshaman

While I'm kinda harsh, maybe they have listen and got back to the blackboard, reason why it look silent here. So that's probably good.

While unity hasn't updated their horrible asset store, prompting me to drop it completely, while I was making unnecessary impulse purchase straight during 8 years, so that's a win? Also I don't use the asset because I can't zoom down the page like on bowser and scanning hundreds of item is painful, especially on a screen with 768p and 900p.

But at least their flat design for the editor is actually sexy and useable and they name dropped my personal complaint on stage during the current unite. SO they are listening.

But what do, I can only complaint, I don't make them any money, and that's because I have two fail project because I bumped on Unity's limit (collision and input) that I took from granted from a much less efficient engine like blitz3D, which I still use because it's still faster to prototype simple idea (starting time, direct scripting, better documentation access, direct access to drawing tool to visualize algorithm simply, not having to set up a camera, and not having to jump between 3 trillion open heavy software, stability).

/Hope and rants

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  40. Shizola

Shizola

I wish I had your optimism haha. Were you at Unite? I didn't see anything about it there, haven't actually seen this referenced anywhere except in this thread. Is this considered an official Unity thing?

I don't like being negative, but its frustrating that Unity has 3000(?) employees, is literally acquiring a new company every week, but can't hire some devs to work on this full time in-house.

41. transat

transat

Maybe @dave24BG can write a 9th time and let us know what is going on? :)

42. neoshaman

neoshaman

IMHO:
    - They focus first what bring good money, they need to keep the investor appeased (or they will get bankrupt, money isn't free). A lot seems to go in thing that support new market, like making sure material is easy to embraced the professional noob that is NOT privy of how hippie dev do their little mickey game (and don't want to know), and just want to have his architectural rendering done by 14:00, so that he can do a dazzling presentation to the mayor, to unlock the finance of their project.
    - They grew so fast, so large, they can't keep track of smaller ambition, and they hire people based on generic competence, and these people see that with competent genericness "interesting problem to solve", they probably didn't spend their whole live thinking about the minutiae of coyote time in game control, and are a bit taken aback when a dev, who is probably not as competent as implementing the system as them, comes out with a 30 page long analysis of what's good and bad in such system, because said dev is a 20 years long veteran game designer whose entire purpose is to study that very problem. And while that competent hireling can become passionate about solving this sudden project, it can be re assigned to any urgent money maker task at any moment, leaving a clean slate for another clueless random competent hireling. That is size dilute effectiveness of specific implementation that is high priority. Look at what they did for fontaine bleue, you have book worth level of details explanation, complete with historical context, of the implementation. Now look at "toon" shader demo and at how casually it is handled, almost as if they are talking to kid, there is no historical context, no genuine understanding of the style and how embarrassed they are to answer to obvious lack people are raising in the implementation problem and limitation. Care is diluted by size.
    - They simply don't have that focus anymore, Literally. They have so many tails to chase, that even size can't solve everything, people hasn't been clamouring for a universal controller anyway, because there is a lot of alternative and every game is supposed to be different anyway (Unet?). SO people use the basic old crappy controller to make fast demo, then toss it as soon as they need serious collision for a free asset, and eventually move to the paid asset to not redo everything as these asset are specialized to certain control, the grumbling about how the old character controller don't last long. That is while it's highly desirable to have an out of the box controller, it's not critical, the asset GKC for example already provide much more and some. Basically when I say they are listening, it doesn't mean it's positive, it mean they can consider it's NOT worth the complexity and simply give up, as they cannot provide something feature complete enough to cover basic need AND maintained it, ie they underestimated the cost, once reevaluated the actual need, reassign the resources elsewhere, because hey 3000 people can't feed themselves from passion, the controller become a rounding error. They not speaking about a feature mean the current plan is probably undergoing change, ie reconsideration of cancelling. They didn't cancel the new store admist concern, for example, they cancel the forum change. The new store is on brand and they will cater to new audience that didn't know any better and will adapt by default, and asset isn't a money maker for them, it's a hassle redirection if they don't have a feature to cater to a niche, and then they don't have to cater to niche anyway.

I was mentioning that, it was in the preshow when they talk with the presenters about flat shading. I meant complaints about flat shading lol, so no I wasn't at unite.

43. transat

transat

We may as well go off-topic as there is no one from Unity here to keep it on topic. :)

I really want to like Unity and for it to succeed. But I agree they treat their customers like crap and I think they should probably pay their developers more to attract people who actually care about their craft.

I was just reading this blurb on a competing game engine's page and hope that one day Unity will show us the same attention...

"XXX customers told us that it’s difficult and time-consuming to create high-fidelity content in large-scale game environments. As game world sizes have increased exponentially, manual workflows like painting or placing individual plant instances doesn’t scale well with production needs. When we approached the challenge of building a new vegetation system, we worked directly with our customers to identify essential requirements including:

• Solving for scaled environment sizes
    • Consistent visual fidelity and quality
    • Blending proceduralism with ability to art direct the outcome
    • WYSIWYG live editing and rapid iteration
    • Environment content that can be altered dynamically
    We built the new workflow for vegetation upon the XXX component entity system. This adds flexibility and unlocks easier world building options."

44. neoshaman

neoshaman

Is that competing game engine company make game? Then you have your answer.

45. transat

transat

It's not the other one that starts with a U, if that's what you're thinking. But to get back on topic... If we have any issues with how this package is working, we should log them in GitHub, where response time is considerably quicker than here, even if it's often just as dismissive. I've been told this package is not in preview (hence it not being in the package manager) but only in beta. Unity doesn't appear to be testing it all that much, so it falls on us to log issues.

PS @neoshaman agree that the new flat UI is much better than the old one!

46. neoshaman

neoshaman

I have just reinstalled github, I plan to do a deep look, but I had already a plan to do my own implementation anyway.

My first attempt at making a character controller didn't go well, because back the time, unity input and collision was up to standard from where I came from, I couldn't listen properly to multiple collision on sphere, and any advice pointed at using raycast which was deeply incompatible, all thing which was properly implemented on my blitz3D version. Also input didn't poll tight enough and was sensitive to frame rate kinda kill it. But that was a specific controller (like you were supposed to go at high speed and walk around even the tiniest edge like a spider).

I keep downgrading my expectation, as I was raised playing game with high standard input and collision, for example it's not that easy to break BOTW collision like I do in other game. I'm always trying to do the same in unity, and I have yet to play a game made with that engine that satisfy that standard. I want to be wrong!

This asset don't have this ambition, it's supposed to be just a tool to prototype, from the start, and we kinda had hope it would be a good starting point to build onto, but I think we misread their intention, and their intention didn't solve a problem people were having anyway.

The thing is I'm venting a lot because I'm probably have to resigned myself to make sloppy game and cover that with marketing and ignoring the issue. But the game industry standard overall have fallen (unless you are nintendo), falling through the floor is a common occurrence and T pose is frequent enough it's now part of meme culture. And game have made million with broken control with up to 200ms of input lag, and dropping input from time to time. Obviously i'm not making million so the joke is on me, not unity.

Also why keep trying to revive this asset, when there is already competent free option in the store (for prototyping)? I would rather build one from scratch.

However I also decided to remove moving around in my current game, so it's no longer my priority, maybe next game. Black skin and afro type of hair are harder problem I have to solve visually for my game (not being black and having that type of hair).If you think the skin shader in hdrp made by @SebLagarde is good, well it's based on flawed assumption, you can trace back their dipole model to seminal Jensen paper on skin scattering, but the original model scatter based on parametrization of skin color through eumelanin and pheomelanin, with blood oxygenation. The hdrp model apply skin color as albedo after diffusing the light, so the error is minimal on light skin (but still there) but looks completely off on black skin, as it doesn't take into account the scattering of the very substance evolved to interact with light, melanin.
    But that's also all skin shader in the market, a lot of them are based on idea presented in the GPU gems 3 and subsequent work of Jimenez, which all base their measure on white skin and over generalize (mostly Jimenez, he has a damning line in his gdc presentation) to all skins, which has created a culture of taking for granted that flawed assumption. It took me age to reverse engineer that error, and now I must build the mathematical competence I don't have to solve that .... Hair is even harder, I won't trust any paper that don't talk about the physics of tendril perversion on spring like structure (pixar).

47. transat

transat

Well the latest version of this controller is pretty good. It just needs some more examples + IK + swimming, rolling, climbing, free climbing. Add in DOTS animation and it would be a really solid controller. The problem with asset store ones is that you don't know if the developer is going to get fed up with Unity and abandon their asset. That's why we need Unity to give us a strong standard controller. And that's also why they need to let us know what the heck they're doing: to reassure us.

Paul-Swanson likes this.
  48. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

This! Iv seen way too many people abandon right before it could become great b\c of some silly design decision (deprecation \ prefab editors *eye twitch I fragging hate that thing*) at a Editor Update by the engine team..

49. neoshaman

neoshaman

I would recommend GKC, I don't know yet if it's solid enough for my standard, but it's QUITE complete at least, and it has been going strong. I own it already. The author keep himself from being bored as it's not an aside from a game he his making, that's "his game project", so it's overflowing with feature and he take requests very easily. He found a sweet spot between making a dream game, but not having a precise idea and wanted to put anything he like from games he played, the solution to that was to make an asset, so it's very complete. It's so useable the only thing is to change the graphics, make some level and you have already a game ready in some form. IN fact some customer are having so much fun just playing the asset, it distract them from making the game they want, it already have flying, changing gravity, complex camera set up, vehicle, companion character shop, procedural animation, puzzle animation, saving system, mapping features, split screen ... now he have started adding advanced melee system.

50. Genay78

Genay78

I really hope you're right