Search Unity

1. Looking for a job or to hire someone for a project? Check out the re-opened job forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2020 LTS & Unity 2021.1 have been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

New Standard Asset Characters - Third Person

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by willgoldstone, Apr 13, 2018.

1. CortiWins

CortiWins

Hello @awesomedata!
    I actually don't want that. I want to know why things are done and how they are usually done. Like there are hundreds of games where you can climb on edges. Yet the examples and assets from the store for that barely work on a solid cube. Professionals do that all day and there have to be more proven ways of doing things. It's the same few problems with a lot of character controllers, like being able to jump up 89° angle walls like a mountain-goat. This has been solved a hundred thousand times in actual games since Quake1, yet in examples it's like "this works well if your gameworld is purely cubes".

soleron likes this.
  2. ProceduralCatMaker

ProceduralCatMaker

still waiting ... and maybe someday see...

3. awesomedata

awesomedata

Believe it or not, I get that.

Sadly, Unity doesn't really hire AAA game programmers to do their "examples" and so you'll probably never get _quite_ what you want from them in this area either.
    Many AAA games modify the physics down to the "engine" level in order to achieve some of the elements they need for the more "non realistic" physics you're talking about. For example, if a cube (collider) lands on another mesh and can "jump" when touching it, the only things you have to work with are that mesh's normals (and the normals of what you're after with the angle of the jump, etc.) If you want physics to be "ignored" or handled in a slightly different way, you tend to have to get into the guts of the physics engine to make that happen (i.e. don't "touch" surfaces that are 89° by simply shifting the character's collider's "downward" movement vector to move parallel along the normal's "slope" direction).

This is something I think a character controller should be able to handle (without delving into the physics engine), but that behavior changes if you want the character to "climb" those kinds of surfaces (like Link in Breath of the Wild). In order to get the kind of behavior you want, systems have to talk to one another (i.e. character controller and mesh colliders and physics system rulesets for movement).

This is often painful in Unity for reasons I wont get into here. Let's just say Unity's data and system models are simply not as "atomized" as they should be for this kind of ease of interaction.

GliderGuy and soleron like this.
  4. Carrion-Crow

Carrion-Crow

Hi, I took open controller, and I have question how get velocity such as it was in a normal controller? If get m_velocity then there the speed is much lower than it was in the old character controller

unityunity