Search Unity

Bug New Shape Tool in PB 5 is either kind of broken, or I don't understand it.

Discussion in 'World Building' started by dgoyette, Dec 12, 2020.

1. dgoyette

dgoyette

I'm running into two issues so far with the way the New Shape tool works in PB 5:
    • How do I "finalize" the shape, so that the game object no longer has a "Shape Component" script on it? After creating a new shape, it keeps the Shape Component on it forever, as far as I can tell, unless I manually delete it. I can't imagine wanting to use "Reset Shape" in most cases, so it's weird that this dangerous behavior is there, ready for me to accidentally hit. Am I supposed to do something after using New Shape to just make the shape a normal PB object?
    upload_2020-12-12_16-49-2.png

• It seems that Undo doesn't work properly when editing a New Shape. Instead, it's the same as resetting the shape. For example, create a new shape, and then make a number of changes to the faces (scale, extrude, etc), then press ctrl-Z to undo one of those changes. Instead, the whole shape gets reverted to its original dimensions, and all the other changes are gone. And it's worse: There's no Redo to get back to what you had. And, it seems that this will reset other shapes in the scene as well.
    • Minor, but upon creating a new Cube shape, the pivot point is in the center of the object, instead of on one of the vertices, as it used to be. So I'll be resetting the pivot on all new object as well from now on. This is despite having "First Vertex" chosen for the Pivot in the ProBuilder preferences.
    Anyway, the changes to New Shape tool seem buggy or problematic to me. I feel like my new workflow will have to be:
    • Make a new shape
    • Immediately manually remove the Shape Component script from it.
    • Change the pivot point to one of the verts.
    • Carry on editing as normal.
    Is that intended? Is there some new workflow I'm supposed to be using?

2. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

Thanks for your feedback. The undo and pivot point are indeed bugs - I believe they are already fixed internally and will be in good shape for the next preview.

Regarding the larger point about exposing the "Reset Shape" and general "Shape Component" use, I think you've raised some valid concerns. The intent is to start migrating ProBuilder workflows to more non-destructive editing practices. However, as you've noticed there are some limitations here that we cannot yet overcome. Maybe the answer is that we need some additional UI to frame that component editor, or it may be that modifying shape parameters after the point of creation is an opt-in feature, given that it has potentially destructive behavior. We're still working on hardening the ProBuilder 5 release, so this feedback will absolutely be taken into consideration.

3. dgoyette

dgoyette

Ah, that's a pretty cool concept. I imagine someone making some stairs, then much later deciding there should be 14 steps instead of 10, or something like that, and still having the procedural generation abilities. I misunderstood the concept, and thought that I was editing the templates for future shape creation.

So, I don't see a problem with that Shape Component staying on the PB object forever, as long as the other bug is fixed that let's me undo accidentally breaking some object down the road by clicking on stuff in the Shape Component.

kaarrrllll likes this.
  4. ThomasLopez

ThomasLopez

Unity Technologies

Hi @dgoyette ,
    Thanks for the feedback on this new tool. Sorry for the buggy part, as Karl was saying it's being fixed as we talk!

So, as you understood the whole point of this new Shape tool is to be able to change some parameters from the Shape without having to recreate the shape from scratch. However, if you do modify manually the shape after generation (moving a vertex for instance), it's not possible for now to regenerate procedurally the shape and the manual modification. To prevent you from loosing all manual changing the current solution is thus to make you reset the shape on purpose if you want to return to procedural mode! I hope this make better sense to you :)

dgoyette likes this.
  5. dgoyette

dgoyette

That seems fine. I guess it comes down to an individual's workflow. I almost exclusively use PB Cubes, which I always manually edit. But I supposed there must be people who don't want to manually edit an object, and only leverage procedural generation capabilities of the objects. That starts sounding like a more interesting option the more non-destructive functionality gets added.

It also seems I was mostly reacting to behavior that was just some bugs that you've probably fixed by now.