Search Unity

New script error

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by V1p3r_1966, Jun 23, 2020.

1. V1p3r_1966

V1p3r_1966

Why is this happening? I am just starting to learn how to do this stuff and I go to open up the script to start creating it and it won’t let me. Can someone just tell me what is happening and how to fix it?

Attached Files:

2. DaDonik

DaDonik

What are your computer specs?
    That error is related to your computer and i assume it is too old to run Unity.

3. V1p3r_1966

V1p3r_1966

I have a Hp compaq dc7800p(small form factor) with a 3.2 GHZ quad core, 8gb of ram, a external hard drive with a terrorbite of storage, and a GeForce GT 1030.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  4. V1p3r_1966

V1p3r_1966

I uninstalled the newest version and installed unity 2018.4.23. I also downloaded visual studio 2017 and not I got no error and it works fine.

5. DaDonik

DaDonik

That error sounds like it had issues reading something, probably from your external HDD if you have Unity or your project on that external drive.

That PC is barely able to run Unity, especially that 1030. The editor will squeeze every last bit out of it.
    Unity updates the scene view as fast as your hardware can, so it might get hot in that small case.
    Anyways, if things get slow, you know that it's mostly down to that graphics card and the lack of an SSD.

6. V1p3r_1966

V1p3r_1966

Okay. Thank you for telling me that.

7. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

For the error reported, I would be looking at a storage issue first and also test your computer's memory. I/O issues seem to pop up in threads where the person is using USB external storage, and I don't think that is some kind of coincidence. I'd try first thing creating a new project on your internal HDD/SSD and seeing if you run into issues there.

I wouldn't worry about the 3 year old graphics card. It should be fine as long as projects are kept within its capabilities. Unity runs fine on Intel HD integrated graphics from a half decade ago, so I wouldn't worry about this card unless you were trying to make the next Call of Duty.

What I would worry about is the rest of the 13 year old computer. Unity really does well with a good CPU, a good amount of RAM, and fast storage. This computer doesn't check any of those boxes.

DaDonik likes this.
  8. DaDonik

DaDonik

Holy cow, i wasn't aware that CPU was THAT old. In that case you are totally right.
    Still i wouldn't call anything from Nvidia with a '30' in the name a graphics card. :rolleyes:

Joe-Censored likes this.
  9. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Yeah I was a bit surprised too when I googled the model and saw it shipped with Vista, and the Q35 Express chipset it says it has was released in 07 for use with the "Core 2" line of CPU's (the very first x86_64 desktop CPU from Intel - predating the i3/i5/i7 branding). It is time for a new computer unfortunately.

10. V1p3r_1966

V1p3r_1966

Okay. So say I made my own case used a quad core i5 or i3 at 3.2ghz or more and a new motherboard and got a better graphics card and psu. Would 8gb work for ram or should I get more? Would it work better?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  11. DaDonik

DaDonik

FIrst of all, you should not use anything from that old PC in your new one. What you wrote makes me believe you want to keep the RAM and that is not a good idea. Basically unplug your external HDD and throw the rest out of the window.

That being said, what you need depends on what you want to do with Unity. Your development PC must be able to run the game you are trying to make + all of the Editor overhead. Usually that means you want a beefy gaming machine. So 16gb of RAM are pretty much required.

Everything else is up to the money you want to spend on it. Would be good to know what country you live in, as pricing seems to vary a lot.

12. V1p3r_1966

V1p3r_1966

Okay. I live in America. Got so I need to get/build a beefy gaming computer and that will help with running everything. I was planning on building a better one anyways.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    DaDonik likes this.