Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

New scale slider erratic behavior

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by boolean01, Sep 19, 2016.

1. boolean01

boolean01

I updated to the new version of Unity (5.4.1f1) and I'm noticing some weird behavior with this new 'scale' slider in the game window. I had the same problem back when I downloaded the beta but thought it was just a beta bug.

The problem seems to be when switching between different resolutions (which I do a lot when building UI components) the scaler seems to keep resizing to match the new resolution. This means you have to keep resetting to 1x as your working as it keeps zooming out, in or creating a blurry preview:

Start at 800x1280

Switch to landscape view of 960x480, still 1X scale

Switch back to 800x1280, scale is now 0.76x

It's not always a huge deal, but sometimes the scale gets knocked down to 0.50x, so I have to keep resetting the darn scale slider to 1x. What makes it worse is sometimes this happens:

It might be a bit hard to see because of the screenshot size, but the whole scene becomes very blurry because it jumps to 2X. I've not moved the slider myself, just switching resolutions in the dropdown menu.

Am I using this slider wrong or is it's behavior very erratic? Is there a way to turn it off? I don't need it to scale the window to my resolution, the old functionality was fine.

2. lunoland

lunoland

+1

I am having this exact same issue, and it's really distracting to keep having to change the scale slider. It's great that I can use the new scroll bars in the game view and change the size of the window without scaling the content, I'd just really love the ability to be able to lock the scale slider to 1x.

In addition, some of the changes (using 5.4.1f1 on Mac) seem to have introduced a bug where the game view goes completely gray, scales weird, or gets a messed up glitchy appearance when I change the width of the tab. I use a two column layout, but these issues happen independent of which tab the game view is in; The weird scaling seems to be dependent on the width, but the other two issues happen less frequently and seemingly at random.

Switching resolutions or maximizing and then switching back quickly fixes it but...then I have to reset the scale slider again!

Before:

After adjusting the width of the game view tab:

(note the shadows are children of the other objects on a new layer)