Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Official New sample & tutorial and update about Project Tiny 0.27 preview

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by JC-Cimetiere, Jul 8, 2020.

1. JC-Cimetiere

JC-Cimetiere

Unity Technologies

Last preview (0.26) was a month ago so you might be wondering when the next one will be!

In fact 0.27 was almost ready but blocked waiting on internal dependencies. In the meantime 0.28 moved forward, so we are going to skip releasing 0.27 and jump directly to 0.28, which should be ready in a couple of weeks.

And as a sneak peak for 0.28 here are a few bits you can expect:
    • Support for dynamic text
    • GPU and CPU mesh skinning
    • Support for single file HTML output
    • A lot of performance improvements to the web builds
    • Support for dynamic light assignment
    • Introduce Tiny render modes a new way to set the rendering resolution (now you can set the rendering view to match the window aspect!)
    and many more ...

In the meantime, we worked on a new sample to illustrate how to combine simple Unity Physics behaviors and common input methods (keyboard, touch, mouse).

This sample is built as a tutorial, including one main scene with a subscene component where we will be swapping subscenes as you progress through the steps adding features.
    For each scene in the tutorial we describe the main steps to build the scene. However we focus only on the important aspects to consider, so it’s not a foolproof step by step guide
    But you’ll find a corresponding completed scene in the project for you to explore to see the end result.

You can find TinyPhysics source code and the tutorial document here:
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ProjectTinySamples/tree/master/TinyPhysics

This tutorial assumes that you have read the Getting Started guide (in particular the Anatomy of a Tiny Project), and successfully installed and run at least one of the Project Tiny Samples. We recommend you try, explore, build & run Tiny3D which is the simplest project.

Enjoy!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  2. SINePrime

SINePrime

What is meant by "dynamic text"?

3. NotaNaN

NotaNaN

This is incredible!
    Every time we wait for stuff and start to feel antsy, we get great news like this! (The Project Tiny Team's internal clock is always on-point).
    Very hyped-up about this! I will be counting the minutes. ;)

I am assuming "dynamic text" implies no longer having to use the hacky sprite-swap approach for text anymore! But that's just a guess (they hinted at this being a high-priority feature). I might be wrong, though. :p

4. AbdulAlgharbi

AbdulAlgharbi

Unity Technologies

Yeah, correct!
    We mean a simple solution to get text rendered in tiny with support for custom fonts, and the ability to change the text in runtime.

GCatz, NotaNaN and Maras like this.
  5. itsarjunsinh

itsarjunsinh

I appreciate the open communication by the Project Tiny development team. I have some questions regarding the future.
    1. Once Project Tiny is stable, what kind of drawbacks will remain building a cross-platform game with it? Eg. Unity features restricted by Tiny runtime.
    2. Would keeping two codebases become the ideal pattern? Project Tiny for mobile and Hybrid DOTS for desktop.
    3. Will the benefits of Project Tiny (small size, mobile performance, etc.) extend to the regular/dots Unity runtime in future?

NotaNaN likes this.
  6. cultureulterior

cultureulterior

How is Tiny with custom shader / shadergraph support?

7. Thaina

Thaina

Is > GPU and CPU mesh skinning < already available in DOTS, or both common DOTS and Tiny rely on this?

8. albert0601

albert0601

Does supporting for single file HTML output mean we can create facebook instant game and use related SDK functionalities.

9. JC-Cimetiere

JC-Cimetiere

Unity Technologies

We are working on custom shader, but it's too early to share any detail or clear timeline. We don't plan shadergraph support in v1.
    Feel free to share what kind of custom shader you would want to build.
    JC

Ofx360, cultureulterior and NotaNaN like this.
  10. JC-Cimetiere

JC-Cimetiere

Unity Technologies

Single HTML file is specifically designed to enable playable ads scenario. Facebook instant games don't require single html file, you can have multiples files all zipped together.
    The other piece needed for Facebook Instant Games is Javascript interop from Project Tiny, which is possible today, but not documented yet. We are working on building this documentation and sample.
    Our intend is to enable for sure Facebook Instant games and other standard web based scenario as well as playables ads. More details coming later this summer! ;-)
    JC

DavidHutch and NotaNaN like this.
  11. JC-Cimetiere

JC-Cimetiere

Unity Technologies

Hi,
    These are broad questions, I'll try to give a high level answer considering there are still lots of details to lock on our side.
    As said in the getting started doc, Project Tiny target is to "produce small, light, and fast games/experiences like Mobile, Playable Ads and Instant social experiences" as I presented last Unite (see here
    )
    The scope of features will be a subset of "classic" Unity. Mobile & WebGL are the focus in terms of platforms.
    I encourage you to check Vlad's explanation of how DOTS features, Project Tiny & Hybrid relate/differ (see
    )

Keeping two code bases is not ideal because it introduces complexity but it might be valuable. It really depends on what you are trying to build. When we get closer to locking the feature set for Project Tiny v1, we will provide guidance on when/for what scenario to use the most appropriate tech stack.
    We still haven't locked a firm timeline and instead we're iterating fast and gathering feedback. When we feel confident the feature set and user experience is great, we will move to a production ready v1, and then adopt a release cycle aligned with Unity LTS.

I hope this helps ;-)
    JC

itsarjunsinh and NotaNaN like this.
  12. tmars

tmars

Hello,
    Custom blend modes + being able to scroll a texture from within a shader would be perfect for advanced FX.

JC-Cimetiere likes this.
  13. andreagroovejones

andreagroovejones

Hello JC-Cimetiere,

Thank you for driving the communication for this great tool.

Can I ask you if you know already about support for AR in WebGL?

Thanks

14. cultureulterior

cultureulterior

I've heard that the Hybrid renderer isn't going to be supported in web pages, and I'm planning to port to tiny, because I'd like to have my thing work inside web pages, and I'm heavily invested into dots. I'm heavily invested into shadergraph as well, because of the dots hybrid renderer support. I've done particles and line renderers and billboards in shadergraph, just beause of the dots hybrid setup, and it would be nice to be able to port directly.

NotaNaN likes this.
  15. Silenius_

Silenius_

Hello,

I'm trying to get my hands dirty with Unity Project Tiny but I'm actually having a hard time finding resources and samples. I read the official getting started guide and checked out GitHub for samples. But everything is so mixed with the classic Unity, I can't really be confident enough to go and do some stuff.

I watched Project Tiny Workshop and actually this kind of editor makes a lot more sense to me. Because I can only add Tiny Components, I can only see components that can work with Tiny. I can untie component groups, etc. Right now, I don't even know what is there and what is not. I can accidentally create MonoBehaviour scripts, I can implement stuff that doesn't exist in Project Tiny like Rigidbody (although I'm not sure if it exist or not), etc. I can use classic Unity's every API without getting an error. Unity or Code Editor should stop me doing that at the first place and the old Unity Tiny Editor actually does that. You can't work with scenes, you can't add gameobjects that we know, you can't add non-tiny components etc.

So simply, how can I prevent using stuff that is not in Tiny mode? It would be very good to see a new video tutorial about Project Tiny because all the ones that are exist is outdated. Maybe I'm thinking completely wrong but I kinda overwhelmed with all the new stuff.

Edit:
    For example I think this shouldn't happen. If I can't use Canvas with Project Tiny, then I shouldn't be able to put it to the scene. And in the old editor you actually couldn't do that.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    NotaNaN likes this.
  16. JC-Cimetiere

JC-Cimetiere

Unity Technologies

Project Tiny is still under heavy development and many areas are very rough, in particular the authoring experience. We are very aware of these issues and are working on bringing a nice and smooth experience with Project Tiny.
    For now our focus has been on the foundation and the runtime. A lot of Editor/authoring related work is happening but not ready yet to ship.

On Docs & Samples, we know it's light and incomplete and of course we will be doing more, but we also are waiting to be closer to "feature complete".
    The documentation to refer to is the Getting Started guide and available samples are here:
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ProjectTinySamples/

As I said on various posts, Project Tiny is in Heavy Development/Preview for at least the 2020 cycle. It’s not ready to start a real production with deadlines, but if you are interested by the Instant/Hypercasual area you are welcome to experiment and share feedback on feature priorities.

We have not yet decided on a firm timeline.

PS: The Tiny Workshop you mentioned above is totally outdated (videos are unlisted, but should have been removed ;-(

Silenius_ and NotaNaN like this.
  17. JakHussain

JakHussain

Is the tiny renderer a fork of the scriptable render pipeline where simply even more rendering features are turned off compared to URP? Or is the tiny renderer a completely different renderer from scratch with nothing to do with SRP?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  18. Qiuyujie1026

Qiuyujie1026

Hello, I downloaded your project but the function RayCast you described doesn't work. In my Test,Whatever the Mouse Click,the pointerEntity.Index always equal zero,Could you tell me the reason?

19. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

Hello @Qiuyujie1026 ,
    Could you share with us the following details:
    - Unity version
    - Tiny version
    - Which project you tried to run
    - The code you are trying to execute

With this information we can help you more easily. Thank you.