Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official New research platform, name ideas

Discussion in '2021.1 Beta' started by LeonhardP, Dec 3, 2020.

?

Which name would you prefer for the new research platform?

Poll closed Dec 18, 2020.
  1. Unity Pulse

42 vote(s)
    51.9%
  2. Unity Loop

20 vote(s)
    24.7%
  3. I don’t have a preference

19 vote(s)
    23.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hi everybody,

At events like Unites, we used to connect with many of you and people in the industry to learn from your experiences in deeper conversations (such as roundtables) and help development teams in the decision process. Now, even though we are living in the digital world, we still want to have the chance to connect you with teams at Unity and talk with you directly.

That’s why we are in the process of creating an online platform to conduct that type of research (the forum will remain the same, we will just let you know when there’s relevant research available to participate in that platform).

We are in the process of evaluating some names for it and wanted to ask for your opinion.

You can reply in this thread with any thoughts or additional ideas.

2. momosmnc

momosmnc

i prefer loop, as a loop mean a continuous event, and not just a one-time thing (pulse), as research should go on till infinity,
    unity loop

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Pulse, pulse, pulse! Like the blood flowing in one's veins and bringing oxygen to the whole body. :)

4. momosmnc

momosmnc

but a pulse also means a short burst of energy something

research is very important, so it should be continuous like a loop,

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Loops are not continuous, they are always coming back to their beginning, no progression. :)

SoftwareGeezers and adamgolden like this.
  6. momosmnc

momosmnc

no that depends on what's inside, it's the same as positivity and negativity in life, however you define it,

so a progressive code though will do the same thing which it did, but values will be different

so research is the same all around the world, you observe, take a reading, hypothesize, then do more research, make a law, and stuff
    so the method is the same, but what we do in it is different
    pulse only sounds cool and nothing else, even life is a loop, so unity loop

7. Lo-renzo

Lo-renzo

The sentences that first came to mind when hearing both:

"Take the pulse of the community."
    "Keep the community in the loop."

I prefer Pulse because it sounds more interactive, addressing mutually-recognized problems. The second sounds more like "FYI, we're making these changes."

8. adamgolden

adamgolden

I prefer Pulse as well. I don't know why exactly - I guess it just sounds better [to me]. However, thinking more on it in addition to associations mentioned, the community is taking Unity's Pulse, like doctors :D ..also, Loop feels less like being involved in the decision process vs. being kept in the loop re what's already been decided.

Deleted User likes this.
  9. Alexpi8

Alexpi8

Indeed, even a game have a main thread with an endless loop. I like Unity Loop for that

10. mgear

mgear

name is not important.. but please, have good UX, whatever platform it is..

some ideas like:
    - no extra useless clicks
    - autologin and without 3 redirects
    - no typing the same information over and over again (like when registering unity webinars and stuff)
    - no mobile first for desktop users
    - no fancy custom/hidden scrollbars
    - etc..

Orimay likes this.
  11. Baste

Baste

Yeah this question is not important at all. Sound like a great initiative, so you can call it Squigglebutts for all I care. This is like an invitation to bikeshedding.

Thaaaaat being said, "Pulse" sounds like a night club.

12. print_helloworld

print_helloworld

Honestly, neither of the two names represent the idea of what this initiative is meant to be that well (but the initiative is really good). I picked pulse instead of loop because that actually sounds like a professional event name more than loop, and I also see how people are gonna start making memes on that name too. "guys i think the pulse is gone!!!"

13. Ramobo

Ramobo

Foreshadowing.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
  14. SoftwareGeezers

SoftwareGeezers

I think both names are daft, but we live in an era of daft names. Nothing's named after what it is/does any more and you can't possibly get an impression of anything from its name, instead having to go look it up.

If the intention is just to sound cool, pick whatever you think sounds coolest. If the intention is to communicate you have an open research platform, call it something informative like...

Unity Research
    Unity Open Research
    Unity Research Portal

I need tools to engineer; mindless marketing speak gets in the way of that.

15. Rallix

Rallix

Sounds like a good idea!
    Like Baste, I think Unity Pulse sounds a bit weird; that's why I picked Unity Loop (which also communicates "customer feedback loop").
    I'd prefer it to be something which wouldn't mess up search results for existing functionality (as e.g. "Unity Reflect", "Unity Flare" would). I could throw a few suggestions – Unity Insight, Unity Dream, Unity Spark, Unity Inspire, Unity Vision – although I don't feel strongly about any of them. Loop might still be the one which most closely describes what it is, and Pulse sounds more friendly and "warm" which might also be good when it's about connecting with teams.

But ultimately I agree picking the name isn't the most important part, although if it isn't too much of a hassle, giving it a memorable name might be better than something a bit bland like "Unity Research" as suggested above.

16. SoftwareGeezers

SoftwareGeezers

Do you give your game objects 'memorable names' or 'descriptive names'? Do you call your behaviours, "Pulse", "Loop", "Shazam", "Shangri-La", or "Game Controller", "ParticleManager", "AudioSystem", "AnimationControl"? Do you feel your choice makes it easier to find and use your resources than the alternative?

JoNax97 likes this.
  17. Rallix

Rallix

Yes; you're absolutely right about behaviours, of course, but this is an entire, separate platform/service meant to be discovered and remembered, not a minor part of your project or a simple tool.
    Do you not see any difference? Would you prefer Xbox be called "Microsoft Game Console" or Mixamo "Adobe Autorigger & Animation Repository"? Gaia renamed to "Terrain Stamper & Spawner" and Cinemachine to "Camera Tools"? Also the more uses/purposes a service has, the harder it is to give it a simple, descriptive name – or when it has one, it might limit its growth (because the name may no longer be accurate).

This research initiative is going to be called "Unity [something]", so there's not a big chance of confusing it with a completely different service – although I bet Unity Research specifically might get confused with Unity Labs. They can call it Unity Connect or Unity Feedback for all I care, now that those names are unused. Unity already has a history with services with 'descriptive names' (Collaborate, Analytics, Feedback; Asset Store, Issue Tracker…) and given the number of them, it probably helps people find what they're looking for.
    But since they asked, created this thread with two 'non-descriptive' suggestions in the poll, I take it that they wanted something which doesn't just "sound informative".

I'll repeat that the name, ultimately, doesn't matter – rather the platform itself and what it'll do and whether the initiative is successful.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  18. Bosozuki

Bosozuki

Yeah I will be that guy...

Unreal engine uses The Pulse for a show already, I am sorry runs away

But otherwise name does not matter to me

19. AndrewKaninchen

AndrewKaninchen

Pulse. Loop would obfuscate search results about other unity things.

20. SoftwareGeezers

SoftwareGeezers

These are consumer facing products. These can be named with marketing in mind. When it comes to work, I object to marketing practices infecting the workplace. They come from executives who don't understand the engineers' job. We're seeing modern design become too disruptive, preferring form over function. We have pretty, useless websites as a result. I don't want my development tools infected.

We presently have 'Unity Connect', for connecting users, and 'Unity Learn' for learning Unity and 'Labs' for experiments. We also have 'Plastic' which is...what exactly? We've got no idea without having to look it up. Then we'll have 'Loop' and 'Pulse' and 'Flex' and 'Rocket'. And then 'Unity shockR' and 'Zweek' and 'Unity³' and 'airBORNe', and we won't know what these things are without a whole marketing campaign to tell us. How is that beneficial to our job?

Which I fear is a step in the wrong direction and they are feeling the pressure to be 'cool' like everyone else. If they're going to go that route, there's no point asking. None of these abstract names convey clear meaning and Unity will have to explain what their chosen name means in a press release. If Unity want to go that route, they should ask some marketeers for the prettiest, stupidest logo they can create, and create a wonderful brand around this service, and create gorgeous websites with parallaxed and scrolling and fading images and texts to tell us how amazing and awesome it is. Then they can rebrand all their services in groovy names and give them all derivative icons that are all meaningless and so similar we can't distinguish them...

https://techcrunch.com/2020/10/06/googles-new-logos-are-bad/

It'll be awesome wanting to learn Unity and trying to work out whether I need to access Unity Loop or Unity Hopscotch or Unity Unified or Unity Untie_me. Wanting to find the documentation and having to search through Unity Reveal, Unity eleVATE, Unity STRONGhold, and Unity Pandora to find which one is the bloody documentation portal!

JoNax97 and Ramobo like this.
  21. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Thanks for all the feedback and the passionate discussion!

"Pulse" is the winner.

We'll update you once we have more information to share about the project.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.