Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[NEW RELEASE] PIDI Planar Reflections 5. Real-time reflections for URP/ Legacy RP

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by IrrSoft, Aug 16, 2021.

1. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Hi there!

We are happy to announce that the latest iteration of our planar reflection asset is arriving to the asset store in a few moments. PIDI Planar Reflections 5 !

PIDI : Planar Reflections 5 is the ultimate system to add real-time reflections to all kinds of flat surfaces in your game within seconds, with unrivaled performance and flexibility.

This is the newest release of our reflection tool, with some important under the hood changes

Here are some of the features of this asset :
    • Per-reflection shadow settings
    • Per-reflection optimizations for maximum performance
    • Per-reflection depth pass for advanced effects such as masking and fading
    • PBR reflections with roughness / smoothness based blur
    • Additional per-material, configurable blur pass
    • Adjustable drawing distances
    • Per-reflection LOD bias and LOD levels
    • Adjustable update frequency
    • Adjustable reflection resolution
    • Smart system of casters and renderers which allow you to easily have dozens of reflective surfaces in a single scene with adjustable performance.
    • Accurate and simple clipping projections for full control over the reflection's behavior
    • PBR, Unlit and simple water shaders included
    • Reflection-only shaders, useful for AR
    • Full source code access
    • In-depth documentation (both offline and online).
    • Mobile ready. Its high performance allows it to run without issue on mobile devices.
    • Nodes for ShaderGraph

But as you may notice, the asset is available in three different editions : URP, Personal and Team. How to know which one is for you? You can always consult our Before you Buy section but here is the most important information:

If you are working alone or in a small team, these editions are for you. They have a per-seat license (one copy for each developer) :
    • The URP edition is for people who will create projects ONLY with the Universal rendering pipeline.
    • The Personal edition is for people that will create projects with the Legacy RP and / or may switch pipelines during the development of their project.
    If your team is larger, you work with or as a contactor, or you do not want to deal with seat licenses:

• The team edition is compatible with all rendering pipelines and all features and has both Single and Multi Entity licenses available, which makes them perfect for larger (or growing) teams. Its price is roughly the price of 8 copies of the Personal Edition, so if your team / company has more than 8 people working in the same Unity project this version is for you.

We hope this tool will help you in all your projects and that you have an excellent week ! :)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2024
  2. Passeridae

Passeridae

Hi!
    Congrats on the new version release! :)
    I would like to use this option: "Users who bought it before that time can upgrade to the URP, HDRP or Ultimate Edition of version 4.x for only 10 USD." since I'm a user of PIDI 3. How can I do this? Do I need to wait for the end of the discount?

3. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Hi there!

The discount shows and is applied automatically when you go to the asset store. You should see the price of the asset as 10 dollars as long as you have a valid license for version 3 linked to your unity account. In short, you just need to go and add it to your cart, the discount should show up automatically :)

We hope this helps!

4. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

is URP VR support planned?

5. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Hi there,

No, at the moment there are no plans to support VR on any pipeline.

6. Ultroman

Ultroman

Hello.

We're using Unity 2020.3.15f2, post-processing package 3.1.1 and URP.

We're getting a bunch of these after importing the project:
    Assets\PIDI Game Development Framework\Planar Reflections 4\Source Code\PlanarReflectionRenderer.cs(653,13): error CS0103: The name 'uData' does not exist in the current context

It seems to be caused by this code:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. #if UNITY_POST_PROCESSING_STACK_V2
    3.                 PostProcessLayer postFX;
    5.                 if ( refCamera.TryGetComponent<PostProcessLayer>( out postFX ) ) {
    6.                     postFX.enabled = _settings.usePostFX;
    7.                     postFX.volumeLayer = _settings.postFXVolumeMask;
    8.                 }
    9. #else
    11.             var uData = refCamera.GetUniversalAdditionalCameraData();
    14. #endif
    It cannot find the PostProcessLayer class that's supposed to be in the Post Processing package, and I cannot fathom why this would be. I've read some posts from a year ago stating that installing the Post Processing package via Unity's GitHub repository should fix it, but surely this can't be required. If so, I would think that would be mentioned in your installation instructions. What am I doing wrong?

UPDATE / SOLUTION: After importing Planar Reflections 4, it complained about missing a part of Unity's Post Processing package. I installed the old Post Processing package from Unity, and then encountered the error outlined above. DO NOT install Unity's Post Processing package. It is not supported for URP! The original problem about it saying it was missing a part of the Post Processing package, was actually caused by a left-over "define symbol" in my Player Settings, specifically the UNITY_POST_PROCESSING_STACK_V2 define symbol. I uninstalled the deprecated Unity package and removed that define symbol, and then everything worked :D

Huge thanks to the asset's support team <3

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
  7. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Hi there,

Please contact our support team through our support email (support at irreverent-software dot com) with your invoice number / proof of purchase and all the details about the issue so that we can help you solve it as soon as possible. Thanks !

EDIT : However, please be aware that the Post Process Package is no longer supported in any URP version for Unity 2020+ and thus should not be installed alongside URP in the project to avoid conflicts (and its define symbols should be removed as well).

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
    Ultroman likes this.
  8. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I gave URP VR a go just by naively rendering the other eye to extra RT and using camera.GetStereoProjectionMatrix(eyeIndex) for each eye before PIDI Planar gets accurate projection matrix. I got this far:

There's tiny offset on both eyes which makes it feel horrible in VR, probably related to the projection math in the project :)

IrrSoft likes this.
  9. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Hi there!

Thanks for sharing this experiment :)

Indeed, managing the projections for each eye is one of the most difficult issues to solve when creating planar reflections, especially since they may be different for each device. While we offer no support for VR at the moment, it is neat to see experiments like these :D

10. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Version 4.0.1 has been released with the following changes :

• Help & Support tab has been added to the UI
    • URP Only : a fix has been issued for projects that import the Post Process Stack v2 package causing our asset to throw errors. However, please be aware that URP 8x and above are ONLY compatible with their integrated post processing solutions and NOT with the Post Process Stack, meaning that this package should be removed.
    Have a great day!

11. derkoi

derkoi

Hi,

I installed this in an empty test project in Unity 2019.4.29 and the standard pipeline and I'm getting this error spamming the console when i try to view the Planar Reflections Renderer in the inspector:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    PlanarReflections4.PlanarReflectionRenderer_Editor.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/PIDI Game Development Framework/Planar Reflections 4/Source Code/Editor/PlanarReflectionRenderer_Editor.cs:121)
    UnityEditor.UIElements.InspectorElement+<>c__DisplayClass58_0.<CreateIMGUIInspectorFromEditor>b__0 () (at <3d9f46ac475f4fa9a3b71bacf80244a8>:0)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

12. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Hi there, please contact our support team through our support email so that they can look into this. All of our tests before uploading were done with Unity 2019.4.x so we may need some additional information to figure out what happened in your case.

We hope this helps !

EDIT : We believe he may have found the source of the error. It is being worked on and a patch will be issued over the course of the day. Still, please try to contact our support email so we can provide you with better assistance :)

Have a great day!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    derkoi likes this.
  13. DMeville

DMeville

Hello, just grabbed this asset (URP version) to add some reflections to my water. Is super easy to use and works great, however, how can I have the reflected objects affected by scene fog (in the tab "Lighting > Fog")? I would like my environment to show orange in the reflection too, I've tried all the settings I can think of. Is this possible?

Edit: If I turn "Accurate Matrix" to "Disabled", reflections correctly get fog it looks like, but also results in very inaccurate reflections

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  14. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Hi there,

Please contact us to our support email so that we can take a look at this and give you any needed assistance in a more efficient way :)

Thanks!

15. DMeville

DMeville

Email sent!

16. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

A feature that is lacking in most real-time reflection solutions using oblique projections (or accurate matrix projections) is proper support for Unity's fog. This is because of the way Unity calculates fog as a projection dependent value. Currently, PIDI Planar Reflections 4 supports fog through the use of an approximated reflection matrix but this can cause some errors in the reflections (for example, objects behind the reflection plane being reflected).

In the next update to PIDI Planar Reflections 4 we will provide an easy to use, integrated solution to fully support fog through the use of a brand new Fog Pass.

The Fog pass generates a ready to use fog texture that can be added to the reflections (and blurred accordingly depending on the material's smoothness) without any extra work required on the users part.

It automatically matches Unity's fog settings and look as closely as possible, adding even more realism to your scenes at the cost of a small performance hit due to the additional pass :

Fog pass enabled

upload_2021-10-8_19-0-40.png

Fog pass disabled

upload_2021-10-8_19-1-56.png

Fog enabled, low smoothness

upload_2021-10-8_19-4-11.png

This update is coming in mid-late October as an Experimental feature. At the moment, it is compatible with the Legacy rendering pipeline but we are currently working on a Universal RP port to be released at the same time.

DMeville and hopeful like this.
  17. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

A small update about the development of the fog pass. The port to URP has been finished through the use of a custom renderer (that you can see on the right side of the screenshots below)

Universal RP (Unity 2019.4 LTS) with reflection's fog disabled :

upload_2021-10-11_10-31-16.png

Universal RP (Unity 2019.4 LTS) with reflection's fog enabled :

upload_2021-10-11_10-32-2.png

Due to differences in how Unity performs rendering for standard cameras and how it has to be performed for an accurate planar reflections the fog will not match 1:1 between the reflection and the game, but the result is very accurate in all fog modes and much better than without any fog support.

Again, this update is coming in the second half of October in an experimental / beta state, as we use this time to extensively test it for the release.

We hope this will be a helpful update ! :)

DMeville likes this.
  18. Urishizu

Urishizu

Hi,

Does this asset support real-time reflections for a forward rendering camera? Is the performance reasonable to support real-time reflections?

Thanks!

19. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Hi there,

The asset does work with forward rendering in built-in (and in URP it is the default workflow) and its performance depends entirely on your scene since each reflection will in essence re-draw everything it sees. If your scene is running already slowly then you may not be able to use reflections since each reflection will reduce performance by around 20-40% depending on the settings, how many items it can see, etc.

We hope this helps!

20. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

The update to version 4.0.5 including the Beta feature for fog rendering and some smaller bug fixes / patches will be released tomorrow (November 3).

We hope this feature will be very useful! :)

DMeville likes this.
  21. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Version 4.0.5 has just been released !

WE hope it will be very useful for all of you :)

DMeville and hopeful like this.
  22. danielesuppo

danielesuppo

Hello, I'm working on a WebGL project, and I'd like to use PIDI for some nice reflections on the floor.
    Actually I'm using Standard Render Pipeline (I still didn't test URP with WebGL).
    I'd like to have some fade on the reflections, and maybe use Contact Depth,
    so does "Contact Depth" and "Reflection Depth" work with SRP?
    Or should I switch to URP and check if it work with WebGL ?
    Many thanks!

23. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Hi there,

The contact depth effect we have shown as well as the reflection depth features are fully compatible with the Legacy render pipeline and should work without issues as long as WebGL and your project are set up to render depth passes.

We hope this helps!

24. danielesuppo

danielesuppo

Many thanks for your very quick reply!

25. DMeville

DMeville

Hey @IrrSoft, trying out this new update to get fog reflected nice. I can't seem to get this working! I've read through the included documentation, as well as looked through the demo scenes (but couldn't find any demo showing this new fog, might have overlooked something?)

Anyways, here's my steps, perhaps you can tell what I'm doing incorrectly?
    1) Update to latest package version
    2) Go to my Project Settings > SRP Settings, open up my URP Settings asset.
    3) Click the + button on the renderer list, add the PIDI "FogPassRenderer" in slot [1]
    4) On my reflection caster, change "Reflection Fog" to Enabled
    5) On my reflection renderer change "Reflection Fog" to Enabled

Am I missing a step somewhere? As you can see in the screenshot below reflection is not receiving fog still! My material is using the "PlanarReflections 4_PBR" ASe node. Please advise!

QPWyAIZwwF.png

26. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Hi there,

We have contacted you through our previous email thread to assist you with this, but please contact us again to our support email if you need further assistance. It was due to an upload issue but it has been solved already on the main release as well.

Regarding demo scenes, since fog is a beta feature we haven't provided demo scenes as of writing this. However, a demo scene for URP fog and one for Legacy fog will be coming later this week, clearly marked as Beta.

We hope this helps!

DMeville likes this.
  27. fairtree

fairtree

Hi,

I wanted to know if it is possible to cancel the reflection behind the Planar Reflections renderer?

Example.jpg

28. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Hi there,

We ask you to please contact us to our support email (that you can find in the documentation of our asset as well as in its UI) with the information about what you want to achieve, the settings you are using and also with your invoice / proof of purchase. This way you will receive faster and more complete assistance.

We hope this helps!

29. gaisitabo

gaisitabo

Hello, I created a plane reflection on the ground. After baking, I turned off the light and the shadow was not projected on the ground. How do I connect shader Graph to show the shadow after baking?

30. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Hi there,

Please contact us with your invoice number and the details of the problem (including Unity version and URP version used) on our support email (you can find it in the documentation and on the UI of the asset) so that we can provide you with the required assistance.

We hope this helps!

31. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

We will be on vacation for the Holidays season from December 15 till January 14.

While we are away, we will not be able to get to your support requests as usual, but we will reply to all of them as soon as we are back. We hope that you will have a great time with your families and friends, please stay safe, and may 2022 be a much better year for everyone!

hopeful likes this.
  32. Rzeznik

Rzeznik

33. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Hi there,

As long as the surface is mostly flat (on the same plane) our asset should be able to provide the reflections you are looking for. If the surface is curved (especially if some portions of the reflection have to be much higher than the main plane) you may get a quite inaccurate reflection.

We hope this helps!

34. SurferNate

SurferNate

Hi,

I've just purchased and have begun to utilize but ran into an immediate hurdle. My project is running 2020.3.20f1 and upon import of package I receive this error:

Assets\PIDI Game Development Framework\Planar Reflections 4\Source Code\PlanarReflectionRenderer.cs(23,33): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'PostProcessing' does not exist in the namespace 'UnityEngine.Rendering' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

Any help in resolving would be much appreciated.

35. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Hi there,

Please contact our support email (support at irreverent-software dot com) so that you can receive assistance in a more efficient manner. Please include your Unity version and SRP (with its version) as well as your invoice number so that our team can reproduce the issue and give you a solution much faster.

We hope this helps!

EDIT : Judging by the error you are showing, it seems that you do not have the Post Process Stack package in your project but the define symbol is still there. Please be aware that if you uninstall the Post Process package from Unity you need to remove the define symbol UNITY_POST_PROCESSING_STACK_V2 manually otherwise our asset will continue to throw this error, since the define is making it assume that the package is still installed.

SurferNate likes this.
  36. SurferNate

SurferNate

Removing the define worked a treat, thanks for the very quick response.

37. Eloujah

Eloujah

Hello,

I'm having this exception when a camera is instantiated in a world with Planar reflections:
    Code (Csharp):
    1. Exception: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.AmbientOcclusion.IsEnabledAndSupported (UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.PostProcessRenderContext context) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.postprocessing@3.2.0/PostProcessing/Runtime/Effects/AmbientOcclusion.cs:183)
    3. UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.PostProcessLayer.SetLegacyCameraFlags (UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.PostProcessRenderContext context) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.postprocessing@3.2.0/PostProcessing/Runtime/PostProcessLayer.cs:814)
    4. UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.PostProcessLayer.SetupContext (UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.PostProcessRenderContext context) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.postprocessing@3.2.0/PostProcessing/Runtime/PostProcessLayer.cs:909)
    5. UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.PostProcessLayer.BuildCommandBuffers () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.postprocessing@3.2.0/PostProcessing/Runtime/PostProcessLayer.cs:558)
    6. UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.PostProcessLayer.OnPreCull () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.postprocessing@3.2.0/PostProcessing/Runtime/PostProcessLayer.cs:487)
    7. UnityEngine.Camera:Render()
    8. PlanarReflections4.PlanarReflectionRenderer:RenderLegacyReflection(Camera) (at Assets/3rd-Party/PIDI Game Development Framework/Planar Reflections 4/Source Code/PlanarReflectionRenderer.cs:671)
    9. UnityEngine.Camera:FireOnPreCull(Camera)
    The Unity version is 2019.4.35f (also occurs with 2019.4.32f), and the Post Processing package version is 3.2.0 (also occurs with 3.1.0 and 3.1.1).
    I have already tried the solutions proposed in https://forum.unity.com/threads/post-process-stack-nullrefferenceexception.647479/ but nothing seems to work.

Thank you!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
  38. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Hi there,

Please contact our support team through our support email ( support at irreverent-software dot com) with your invoice number and the relevant information and they'll assist you as soon as possible. Thanks!

39. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

A new update is coming in a few days for PIDI Planar Reflections affecting URP shaders for WebGL and other similar OpenGL2.0-like platforms. Some platforms were having troubles with the loop functions used for the fast, PBR accurate blur we use and as such, this pass can now be disabled manually through the use of a new _BLUR_REFLECTIONS_ON keyword.

This keyword has to be added to custom shaders in order to allow for the selective blur pass to work.

We hope this helps!

40. Lefarris

Lefarris

Hi there,

just played a bit with a normal floor plane and a mirror like plane and wondering if its possible to get the floor reflection visible in the mirror too? (kind of a reflection in reflection).

Best Regards

41. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Hi there,

As expressed in our FAQ in the Asset Store's page, our asset does not support recursive reflections (a mirror reflecting the reflection of another mirror). We hope this helps!

42. Lefarris

Lefarris

Thanks, yes this helps :)

43. Lefarris

Lefarris

Hi there,

I've got another problem and struggling for some days now, but cannot find anything:

When i add a Reflection Renderer to the Scene and set a Rotation x to 90 and also either disable "PostFX Support" or enable "Reflection Depth", my stacked Camera is not visible anymore (Overlay Camera).

I get the following Errors in the Log:

CommandBuffer: temporary render texture _CameraColorAttachmentA not found while executing (SetRenderTarget color buffer)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent (int,intptr,bool&)

CommandBuffer: temporary render texture _CameraDepthAttachment not found while executing (SetRenderTarget depth buffer)

CommandBuffer: temporary render texture _CameraColorAttachmentA not found while executing (SetGlobalTexture)

CommandBuffer: temporary render texture _CameraColorAttachmentA not found while executing (Blit source)

... did anyone here got the same problem, or is it a known problem or not intended to work?

Thanks in Advance for any answers.

44. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Hi there,

We recommend you to please contact our support email with the full information about the bug you found, your invoice number and any relevant details (Unity version, pipeline used etc) so that you can get prompt assistance. We hope this helps!

45. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

Hi guys

Can you confirm if this reflection shader work on Xbox One, Xbox Series, PS4, PS5 and Nintendo Switch?
    Thanks

46. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Hi there,

Our product has not been tested (to our knowledge) in all of those platforms and we do not have the dev kits to test it ourselves, so we cannot confirm it for sure. However, it uses Unity-native techniques only and RenderTextures, so as long as your target platform supports them you should have no issues.

If you are targeting HDRP, you may want to look into Unity's integrated Planar Reflection Probe first.

We hope this helps!

KarlKarl2000 likes this.
  47. silentslack

silentslack

Hi there,

I have just purchased your asset as this is what I'm greeted to on the basic reflection demo scene:

I'm running Unity 2021.3.8f1 and HDRP 12.1.7.
    I've unpacked both the HD Rendering Pipeline and Demo Scenes.

Is there some other project setting I need enabled that I have missed?

Thanks

48. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

Hi there,

In short, yes, that's all you should need to do. We ask you to please contact our support email with your invoice number and all relevant details so we can take a deeper look into what is causing the issue. On our end, the demo scenes are working without errors in Unity 2021.3.x for HDRP 12.x.

upload_2022-11-6_7-33-28.png

49. silentslack

silentslack

Email sent! Thanks :)

50. scourgey

scourgey

Would this package reflect spot lights?

I am attempting to get a mirror to reflect lights (particularly spot lights), but so far I have not been able to find anything suitable that would reflect the light from the mirror back into the environment. I am intending to make quite a dark game with minimal lighting, so this would be amazing if this has that.