Search Unity

New release every week

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Zenchuck, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Zenchuck

Zenchuck

Can we calm down on the releases?

Everything in a continual state of broken-ness is not ideal.

Make one proper release/year and stop with this release spamming.

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Did the LTS releases stop being a thing?

3. Antypodish

Antypodish

You don't gave to update every week. Just wait for next stable. Is simple as that.

Feedback is critical on progress.

knobblez likes this.
  4. MSplitz-PsychoK

MSplitz-PsychoK

It is recommended that you pick a stable version and stick to it. No experienced developer updates to the latest version of their game engine mid-project unless there is a clear reason to do so, such as an important bugfix.

Antypodish likes this.
  5. Antypodish

Antypodish

Or feature long time awaiting for.

I think frequent updates habit comes from other applications, like browsers, os, or other. This should not be practiced on Unity, unless as mentioned above.

6. Zenchuck

Zenchuck

Really, why is the trend increasingly towards outsourcing bug tracking/fixing to users? I enjoyed the days when software was polished/professional.

I work in education at the moment and no student recognizes LTS. The install the *newest (bi-monthly) version and then all pandemonium breaks out from there.

I know that everyone has there own valid views on this, but I wanted to express mine. Less frequent releases would be great. And fix the baking system already! "5/11 was a Unity job!"

7. Antypodish

Antypodish

The answer is, some people like to get involved, in how the development is going. And as I said, feedback from users, is most valuable. This way, you got feedback in real time.

Many products has the beta and stable releases. Not only Unity. Is optional to participate in development progress.
    So if you, or any person, is interested about new features, or bug finding and fixing, this is how can be done.
    There fore you got participation option in Beta.

Thing is, Unity is a massive Combne, of multum features. Adding something, may affect / break other stuff. Is hard to find by limited team, specially if certain areas are out of scope.

Sure, you can wait for stable release, but Unity will need still beta testers. Anyone serious about their project, will consciously select version to work with. People many times describe, why they stay with early version of Unity. Including even as early as 4, 5.x, 2017 and so on. These to avoid potential issues, while in late project dev.

Question is, why you can not stay on latest stable version, of for example 2017.x?
    As I also said, just ignore updates, until next stable release.