Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback New Quality Menu Alignment -- why?

Discussion in '2022.1 Beta' started by PutridEx, Sep 28, 2021.

1. PutridEx

PutridEx

This is a pretty small thing to talk(and complain :D) about, but I really want to understand the reasoning behind this change. Why was it changed at all.

This: upload_2021-9-28_19-35-23.png
    This look so bad. So much empty space, and it's a change that achieves nothing from my perspective except frustration. It was good in the middle, it fits, people got used to it, and so on. Was it changed just for the sake of change, in true UX fashion?

I actually reported it as a bug, a regression. It got through, then turns out it was by design.
    why is this atrocity by design?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    Ruchir and apkdev like this.
  2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Or even worse.. Starting from Unity 2021.2 upwards, you just can't delete a number field (like Transform position, scale, etc) by selecting the field and hitting "Delete" button to make it zero.. it will stay the same! You Have TO replace it with number "0".. and just like you, I reported it as a bug, and guess what? It's By Design! This is Truly Unacceptable as I used to zero the field fast and quick by deleting it.. Heck, they are really "Improving" the Engine..

3. I don't know, I'm still deleting the numbers in the inspector and they become zero. Where do you see this behavior exactly?

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

That's when you select numbers (Left click + drag on the numbers, or, left clicking once in an unselected field with numbers) and then hitting "Delete" button on the keyboard then hitting "Enter" to confirm..

Expected result: numbers go zero.
    Actual result: numbers stay the same.

As can be seen here:

My Video.gif My Video.gif

Edit: Keep in mind this behaviour only can be seen in Unity 2021.2 and upwards..

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2021
    MousePods likes this.
  5. This is strange. I am hitting del and either enter or tab here only, never zero (2022.1.0a9):

Untitled.gif

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yeah I tested it with 2022 and it doesn't have this issue.. my logic was: if it's by design, then it's gonna continue from that version and upwards..and I was probably wrong.

Or they just forgot to implement it in 2022?? This is pretty strange..

7. PutridEx

PutridEx

I really would like to hear a reply on why this was changed.
    One of the things I hate the most when it comes to UX is change for the sake of change, and it happens A LOT in UX.
    And usually, it's for the worse.
    This changes just makes no sense. It looks bad, and I can't see a reason for it.

MousePods likes this.
  8. Ah okay, yeah, we're in the 2022 thread, automatically assumed we're talking about that. Double checked, 2021.2 is behaving like you described indeed. Also reported, will see what they say about this (explicitly mentioned that every other version behaves like this, including the later ones).

To be honest, I think this is a combination of bug and QA misunderstanding/mistake. I don't think this is an intentional change.

Edit:
    Just got reply from QA, they already know the issue, they are fixing it:
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/empty-number-field-fallbacks-to-the-last-value

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2021