Search Unity

1. Unity 2020.2 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback New Project creation feedback - tell us what you need!

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by willgoldstone, Jan 13, 2021.

1. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Hey all

so we are looking to make some improvements to the New Project creation process (yeah.. plenty of room there!) and would love your feedback on it - please consider filling in this survey and any additional context we don’t cover there of course feel free to discuss in the thread.

https://unitysoftware.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_4JDRrV17kOCzhSl

Thanks, looking forward to hearing from you as always

Will

codestage likes this.
  2. Baste

Baste

I'm copying my "Do you have any other feedback" text here since maybe it's something that's interesting for other people? idk. Answers would also be nice for the questions, I guess!

So, creating new projects, the big picture:

The vast majority of times I create a projects it's to create a bug report or to test something. There's years between each time we make a new project that's supposed to actually turn into a video game and that several people are going to work on. So to me, the important parts of project creation is:
    - It should be fast
    - It should be easy to replicate the version and exact package combination of a different project, so I can reproduce bugs more easily.

The first one has regressed greatly over the years. New project in Unity 4.7 takes 5 seconds. New basic 3D template in Unity 2020.2 takes 45 seconds.
    The second one wasn't an issue back in the days, since there was no such thing. These days, it'd be great if we could use some other project as a template, giving us the same versions and settings. That'd help tremendously in my most common use of "create a new project".

More nitty gritty details:
    - We're missing a template for 2D URP
    - Templates in general are not fine-grained enough. We should be able to specify which packages we want to start with, as well as if we want the example scenes or not. Maybe the templates could just be pre-selected choices in a more finegrained project creation menu?
    - The default template's packages has gotten better. Thank you for finally not automatically including adds in every single project ever made!
    - The Hub keeps just having the worst UX ever made. The "new" button picks some version, and has a dropdown on the button where you get to select the version you actually want. The version selection should just be a dropdown in the project creation menu.
    - Can you even do anything about any of this feedback? The Hub doesn't seem to get any changes or improvements implemented ever. There's a lot of "we're working on it" posts that are 2+ years old for features that still doesn't exist.

unityunity