Search Unity

[NEW] Professional Drone Pack + Drone Controller (VR, PC, Mobile, Gamepad)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ProfessionalAssets, Jan 12, 2018.

1. ProfessionalAssets

ProfessionalAssets

Professional Drone Pack + Drone Controller (VR, PC, Mobile, Gamepad)

Quick Setup

In-Depth Setup

Asset Store Page:
    http://u3d.as/XEF

Drone Pack Contains :
    • 4 Lowpoly PBR drone models!
    • 4 Skin Variations Each!

• Highly CUSTOMIZABLE behavior scripts!
    • A test map with DAY and NIGHT!
    • Use YOUR OWN custom models!
    • Mobile, Gamepad, & OpenVR Supported!
    + NEW Customizable Sound FX!

Try Before You Buy!
    DOWNLOAD
    (Windows desktop demo)

FREE Android App Demo!
    DOWNLOAD

(Android APK demo)

FREE SteamVR Demo!
    DOWNLOAD

(Openvr exe)

Script Details:
    * Contains user-friendly drone behavior scripts (complete with source code) allowing you to adjust values like...

• acceleration speed
    • deceleration speed
    • rise / lower speed
    • forward / backward speed
    • strafe speed
    • turn sensitivity
    • stability
    • propeller count and spin speed
    • and much more!
    * Drones use real-time RigidBody Physics!

• will collide with other rigidbodies
    • can be affected by outside forces
    • can fall after hard collisions
    * Script also contains an assortment of "ReadOnly" Variables to allow for...

• easy script extensions and modifications
    • view real-time calculations and data from drones

Drone Preview:

Model Details:

* Contains 4 lowpoly 3D drone models complete with full 4K PBR maps including

• albedo/diffuse maps
    • ambient occlusion maps
    • emissive maps
    • gloss/specular maps
    • normal maps
    • specular/metallic materials
    * Each Drone contains an ORIGINAL design inspired by actual models

• Toad model (RC quadcopter)
    • BumbleBee model (camera hexagon drone)
    • UFO model (flying saucer)
    • Quad model (phantom drone)
    • Custom Drone Prefab (works with any model/mesh)

for more info on how to use this pack with a custom model, please watch the Quick Setup Video above

*Please Note: The VR demos in this pack are setup to use the OpenVR sdk, which has been marked as a Legacy system by Unity versions 2019.3 and up (it is still possible to run the demos in newer versions of unity but if you intend to use the OpenVR sdk it is recommended that you use unity version 2019.2 or below)

Contact Information:
    professionalassetsunity@gmail.com

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  2. Josho_O

Josho_O

I`m controlling drones using your Joystick script. How can I add functions using scripts to event handlers (JoyStick Touch X & JoyStick Touch Y) ?

3. ProfessionalAssets

ProfessionalAssets

Hi Josh, happy to answer your question!

You can assign a drone to the joystick's Event System and select which function you'd like to modify from the dropdown list. The In-Depth Drone Setup video shows you how to do this
    Click Here

Also the "DronePlayground [Mobile]" scene is already setup with mobile controls
    and can be found in (ProfessionalAssets > DronePack > Scenes).

If you have any questions please let us know, we'll be happy to help!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  4. Ascensi

Ascensi

@ProfessionalAssets
    1. Would you be able to make this compatible for Unity 5.6+? Please!
    2. I'd like to use the VR controls but would like to use this for a helicopter with physical controls.. for example using the Vive grip asset I would like to grip on the helicopter's yoke and when the player moves it the controls are manipulated. i'm thinking maybe some parenting of the joystick UI controls to the yoke if the canvas was horizontal? I'd parent the Yoke to the horizontal canvas's joystick -unless you know a better way?

3. If you were interested in extending this helicopter compatibility then I'd also suggest that you have a timer sound slot for start up and then plays normal, throttle sound and exit/off sound. Your asset would go over big if this could work with physical controls.

You almost have a complete Physical control system for helicopters!

5. ProfessionalAssets

ProfessionalAssets

Hello Ascensi, thanks for reaching out!
    I'll be happy to answer your questions:

1) The drone pack was created using unity 2017.1, and is also compatible with version 5.6 as you can see in the screenshot below.

(keep in mind the baked lighting data may need to be rebuilt in some scenes)

2) By using the "Custom" setting on the PA_Drone Axis Input script you can use any of the preset OpenVR controls in the input manager, Including the controller grip buttons as seen below.

Your solution to adding physical controls by parenting the UI joystick to the VR controller sounds interesting, however, I believe there is a better way.

The way the UI Joystick works is by calculating its current position into a (-1) to (+1) float range, and then relaying this data to the drone script. If we calculated the VR controllers position/angle to the drone script it should work the same way.
    If you like I can write up a custom script for you, although it may take some time. (at the moment I am busy working on another project).

3) Thank You again for the suggestions Ascensi, these features do sound interesting! I will have to experiment with the pack and see if I'll be able to include them.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  6. Ascensi

Ascensi

Thank you! Yes I'd be very interested in getting this to work.
    Your package on the asset store states: 2017.1.0 or higher, customers can buy through the website asset store but cannot download them to an earlier Unity Version nor can you buy it with an earlier version through Unity interface -it would have to be submitted to the asset store with Unity 5x. in order for 5x customers to get it.

Few ideas; On off switch toggle for the engine startup and shut down -sounds, rotor animations and controls. The yoke would need something like on ovr rightgrip, get position/angle. I saw somewhere someone else suggested a flying impairment on x amount of collisions.. it would be pretty awesome especially to combine this with the Truss Physics asset!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  7. ProfessionalAssets

ProfessionalAssets

I see, thank you Ascensi for letting us know!

We'll begin work on a physical controller script, and re-upload the package with earlier version of unity as soon as possible.
    If you could provide an email address where we can contact you, that would be helpful.

Thank You!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    Ascensi likes this.
  8. ckbiz

ckbiz

Is this pack entirely Windows only? Any chance there will be a Mac version? It looks great!

9. ProfessionalAssets

ProfessionalAssets

Hello, Happy to answer your question!

Yes, Unity projects and packages are cross-platform.

ckbiz likes this.
  10. snowcult

snowcult

Hey there, just picked this up, great so far. Just wondering if there would be a way to use the mouse for vertical movement and not just horizontal? So a full range of motion with the mouse, up down, left right and everything in between.

11. ProfessionalAssets

ProfessionalAssets

Hello ShinfoK, yesterday the team submitted an update for the pack which includes vertical camera movement, as well as a new drone model!
    We're just waiting for Unity to approve the update. We will let you know as soon as the update goes live!

Thank you for the suggestions!

PS. here is a preview of the new drone included in the update.

snowcult likes this.
  12. snowcult

snowcult

Oh, what's the timing on that :) (Edit: I mean, it was good timing that I bought it right as you're implementing that feature)

And that new model and its variations look great. Well done!

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  13. ProfessionalAssets

ProfessionalAssets

snowcult likes this.
  14. snowcult

snowcult

Hey, I've had a couple days to play around with it and I'm really enjoying it so far. One thing I wanted to talk about in regards to my last request about mouse movement, would be having the drone actually follow the direction the mouse is moving, similar to the movement in this:

15. ProfessionalAssets

ProfessionalAssets

Hello again, glad you're enjoying the pack!

Regarding your queston; the pack mimics the hovering behaviours of real drones and will stabilize themselves when rotated.

However I may be able to modify the script to allow it to behave like the spaceship in your video.

If you can give me an email I can contact you through, that would be very helpful.
    Thank you
    Elijah

snowcult likes this.
  16. snowcult

snowcult

I've started a private conversation with you :)

17. broesby

broesby

Your asset looks really interesting ;) I'm actually planning to control a flying dinosaur with it and not a drone. So I need to know a few tihings:

- As I understand it can free-fall. Would I be able to set it up so the free fall could activate when a certain amount of forward tilt was reached which would then result in a dive?
    - Relating to the above - is it possible to achieve a more forward vertical tilt than seen in the videos?
    - Can I set the weight of the "drone" and thereby achieving more realistic physics?

Best wishes, Jesper, Denmark

18. ProfessionalAssets

ProfessionalAssets

Hello Broesby, thanks for checking out the pack!
    Regarding your questions:

The DroneController uses real-time rigidbody physics to mimic hovering behaviors for vehicles and creatures.
    Tilting was intentionally restricted for this purpose with our drone pack. Triggering the drone's freefall ability using a button is best recommended, as the tilt is clamped for stability.

YES! you are able to change the drone's weight, and any other rigidbody variables to achieve realistic physics.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask,
    Elijah

19. VivesAviation

VivesAviation

hey, i have followed the instructions to setup the droneplayground scene but i'm not getting the drone controller pad in the scene. Can you help me?

Kind regards,

Erik
    Belgium

20. ProfessionalAssets

ProfessionalAssets

Hello Erik,

Once you've imported the 'SteamVR' plugin into your project; open the 'DronePlayground [SteamVR]' scene found in (Assets > ProfessionalAssets > DronePack > Scenes)
    When you press play you'll find the drone's VR remote pad parented to one of the Vive controllers!

Alternatively, you can find the 'FBX Mesh [ViveDroneRemote]' in (Assets > ProfessionalAssets > DronePack > Meshes)

If you have any more questions please let us know, we'll be happy to help!

21. surajbijjahalli

surajbijjahalli

Hi there. Thank you for your work. Love the visuals. I want to create a drone simulator for which I have code scripts in python to compute realistic dynamics. Given an python API to interact with Unity, would I be able to provide a pre-programmed path and command series through python to your Unity assets for visualization, and have the in-game camera captured images sent back to python as synthetic camera outputs?

22. ProfessionalAssets

ProfessionalAssets

Hello, and thanks for checking out the pack!

Each drone in the pack flies using customizable C# scripts, and Unity's realistic physics engine.
    The drones also come with customizable preset controls for Xbox, Keyboard, OpenVR, and Android devices.

Unity does Not support Python scripts;
    only C# and JavaScript(unity script).

We recommend only using the drone pack in Unity.

If you have anymore questions let us know, We'll be happy to answer them!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  23. rchongtay

rchongtay

Hi,
    I just bought and imported the Professional Drone Pack,
    Just after importing I get the following error message

"You are trying to import an asset which contains a global game manager. This is not allowed."

Could you please advice what to do to avoid this error?

Best Regards

rchongtay

24. ProfessionalAssets

ProfessionalAssets

Hello, Thanks for reaching out!

This error is caused when importing the InputManager.asset file, It is harmless and will not appear again.
    The Quick Setup video explains what this file is used for, you can watch it Here

If you have any more questions please let us know, we'll be happy to help!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  25. rchongtay

rchongtay

Hi again,

Thanks for your help and the great package, I am particularly interested in using as input a gamepad, I managed to make it work very easily with the quick setup in Unity 2017.4.3f1, as this project might become a bit big and Unity 2018 focus a lot on performance I tried to import the package into Unity 2018.2.0f2, everything seems to work fine except the gamepad is not working. Is there anything additional to be done to make it work in this version?

Best Regards

rchongtay

26. rchongtay

rchongtay

Hi again, again,

please disregard my previous post, it was a windows problems, after restarting the computer the gamepad input option worked just fine in version 2018.2.0f2 as well.

Thanks again for the great package

rchongtay

27. ProfessionalAssets

ProfessionalAssets

Glad to hear!

Unity needs to restart anytime a new input device is connected.

Good Luck on your project,
    If you have any more questions or suggestions for the pack
    please let us know.

Thank you.

28. Ascensi

Ascensi

@ProfessionalAssets how is the development these days? have you made any advances towards making a VR helicopter system? With this current asset or another I'd love to have altimeter, fuel etc gauges that I can attach to the dash also a fuel system (empty/refueling) and something that could trigger a leak. Would you be willing to create a separate asset that could expand this one and maybe offer compatibility to 3rd party assets (optional)?

CrypticColza1971 likes this.
  29. ProfessionalAssets

ProfessionalAssets

Good to hear from you Ascensi!

The ProAssets team is always working hard to improve our products and create new ones! Currently the team is occupied with many projects; so if we ever do develop a dedicated VR Helicopter pack it will have to be after the first ones have been completed.
    In the meantime you can achieve many of your goals by using the drone's 'ReadOnly' variables.

Here's an example package containing gauges that can be used for the drones! LINK
    (the source code has also been fully documented as well)

Thank you for understanding & good luck on your project Ascensi!.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    Ascensi likes this.
  30. torrefaction

torrefaction

I've bought the pack, and I'm having trouble with custom models. Effectively, I want to control a flying car as a drone, but it floats with the front end, instead of hovering like I would expect (I.e. the headlights become the "top of the drone" and it flys around vertically, instead of horizontally. Any tips here?

31. ProfessionalAssets

ProfessionalAssets

Sure thing!
    If you could send us a few screenshots of your model; we'll walk you through setting it up!

(also double-check that your model is facing forward when you parent it to the custom drone's ROOT node.)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  32. cmilian

cmilian

Hi, first of all, thanks for such great project.
    I am trying to control the drone via the VR option. I can do everything except for moving the drone. I am using the SteamVR plugin, however , I am using a Samsung Mixedreality VR headset. How can I make the VR controller move the drone?

I am able to grab and move around the controller, but not the drone.

33. ProfessionalAssets

ProfessionalAssets

Hello Cmilian, welcome to the forum!

The drone pack's VR input preset is intended for use with either an HTC Vive, Oculus, or an OpenVR compatible headset/controller.
    However, you can use your own Custom Input axises to move the drone as well.

(Also, you can watch the In-Depth setup video to learn more about the pack and its features: In-Depth Tutorial)

If you have anymore questions please let us know!

34. wahyuway

wahyuway

Just Try the demo @ProfessionalAssets , great assets high quality. But, is there any Acro demo? tried demo version but only level controller no acro

35. ProfessionalAssets

ProfessionalAssets

Hello Wahyuway, thanks for reaching out!

The drone pack comes with presets for mouse/keyboard, mobile/touch, game console, & VR controllers.
    In the Full version; you can create and use Custom unity Input Axises to fly the drones, but you'll need to check if unity supports your Acro remote controller first!

If you have anymore questions please let us know!

36. wahyuway

wahyuway

Thank you. Could you please make a demo that behave Acro mode control like in FPV drone in mobile version? I have tried other asset that have this control. I am considering to buy your asset other than similar asset if you can provide a simple demo.

37. ProfessionalAssets

ProfessionalAssets

Hello again Wahyuway,

Currently, we don't own an Acro controller, so we cannot make a demo for it.
    Our pack includes an input preset for Xbox/Gamepad controllers and behaves the way a real drone controller does.

You can try the demo here:
    Gamepad Demo

38. stmarx

stmarx

I've experimented with the FreePack in VR for quite a whilw now (like exchanging the Drone [Remote] for a very detailed model of a Yuneec_Typhoon_H_Remote Controller and using the camer as a kind of FPV Camera in front of the drone.
    Now you write in an older post that the newpack includes vertical camera movement. I would certainly shell out the 24 Euro if this was possible with the VR contollers. Can you please confirm this.

janholthusen@compuserve.com

39. ProfessionalAssets

ProfessionalAssets

Hello Janno,
    Yes! The Full Pack lets you control the Third-Person Camera's height with a custom Input Axis:

You can also control the First-Person Camera's viewing/tilt angle with a custom Input Axis:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  40. CrypticColza1971

CrypticColza1971

I too would love to see Helicopter function but currently having trouble getting this to work on Oc. Quest /Quest2

41. zhangxubeinicolas

zhangxubeinicolas

Hello, im a new in unity. I found the pack is really cool! But i have some problems when import the pack, it says that :
    Assets\ProfessionalAssets\DronePack\Scripts\PA_DroneCamera.cs(4,19): error CS0234:
    The type or namespace name 'VR' does not exist in the namespace 'UnityEngine' (are you missing an assembly reference?).

then I commented the code : using UnityEngine.VR;

after that the project can complier, but there are still some problems, it says :
    1.ArgumentException: Input Axis GP SecondaryJoystick X is not setup.To change the input settings use: Edit -> Settings -> Input
    Turnable.GamepadInputReceived ()(at Assets/ProfessionalAssets/DronePack/Scripts/Turnable.cs:25)
    Turnable.Update () (at Assets/ProfessionalAssets/DronePack/Scripts/Turnable.cs:13)

2.ArgumentException: Input Button GP Button 0 is not setup. To change the input settings use: Edit -> Settings -> Input

UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseInput.GetButtonDown (System.String buttonName) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.ugui@1.0.0/Runtime/EventSystem/InputModules/BaseInput.cs:126)

UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule.ShouldActivateModule () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.ugui@1.0.0/Runtime/EventSystem/InputModules/StandaloneInputModule.cs:227)

UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem.Update () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.ugui@1.0.0/Runtime/EventSystem/EventSystem.cs:490)

i try the unity version 2022.1.6.f1 and 2020.3.26f1(LTS),but they have the same problem.

what should I do?
    Thanks a lot

42. ProfessionalAssets

ProfessionalAssets

Hello, thanks for contacting us!

Before flying the drones please setup the necessary Input Axises for flight. The included Manual shows you how to do this: ClickHere

Or you can watch the Quick Setup youtube tutorial: ClickHere

You can also use your own Custom Inputs to fly the drone! ClickHere

Please let us know if you need anymore help.
    Thank You!

43. zhangxubeinicolas

zhangxubeinicolas

Thanks a lot for your reponse! I have solved the problem with your method, thank you very much!

44. broesby

broesby

It has been a while since the first post,... lol ;)

So is the activation / deactivation of freefall actually written in the code?
    Or does it basically just disable the script / controller so it will obey normal rigidbody physics?
    If that is the case what happens when it is reactivated? Will it just pick up the speed and direction of the "fallen" drone at any moment?
    And do you think it would it be possible to activate another more "aerodynamic" controller script while yours is out of action? Reason is that I really like your controllers fast and snappy droney performance in almost level flight, but I would like my flyer to be able to dive and glide more aerodynamically in some situations than what your controller seems to provide.

45. ProfessionalAssets

ProfessionalAssets

No worries! It's good to hear from you again.
    Yes, when the drone is deactivated; it's rigidbody can be maniuplated just like any other physics object.

When activated the drone's rigidbody is overidden by the 'PA_DroneController' script & attempts to smoothly transition into an airborn 'hovering' state.

When deactivated the drone's rigidbody is returned to it's initial state & any forces appled to the drone during flight (gravity, impact, inertia, etc...) are allowed to manipulate the drone while it's in freefall.

You can control the activation/deactivation of the drone using the 'motorOn' variable of the 'PA_DroneController' script.

46. broesby

broesby

Thx :) I will try.

47. wechat_os_Qy0wu7CKo-f67DIiD_lnp-cSQ

wechat_os_Qy0wu7CKo-f67DIiD_lnp-cSQ

Hello,I have set up the four-rotor UAV modeled by myself according to the custom. I have a few questions to ask:

1. I set the rotor rotation according to the video, but the rotor rotation does not rotate as I expected. I want to know how to set it correctly

2. I want to know how to rotate the drone by keyboard instead of mouse. For example, q key is used to make the drone turn left and e key is used to make the drone turn right

Thank You!

48. ProfessionalAssets

ProfessionalAssets

Hello, Thanks for reaching out!

The Drone Propellers, Rotate around the Z axis, please check that the axis is aligned correctly on your model.

If the Axis is not aligned correclty the propellers will spin in the wrong direction

If the axis is mis-aligned you can either:
    a) re-align the axis in a 3D model program like Blender, or 3DS Max
    b) make the propeller-mesh a child to an empty GameObject that is aligned in the right direction
    c) modify the 'PA_DroneController (script)' at line 153 to rotate the propellers on a different axis:

propeller.transform.Rotate(calPropSpeed, 0, 0)
    or
    propeller.transform.Rotate(0, calPropSpeed, 0)

If you'd like to turn the drone with the keyboard instead of the mouse, you'll need to use a Custom Input Axis.
    Here is an example video of how to create your own Custom Input Axis: DRONE PACK / QUICK SETUP 2.0

49. wechat_os_Qy0wu7CKo-f67DIiD_lnp-cSQ

wechat_os_Qy0wu7CKo-f67DIiD_lnp-cSQ

Thank you for your reply and answer!!

Now I have solved the rotor rotation problem, because I found on 3dmax that the center of the rotor is not above the center of the rotor. After changing the center, the rotation problem was solved. Thank you for your answer !

But I'm still not clear about the second question. After watching the video, I still don't know how to set it.

The setup I want to implement is: keyboard control.

wsad control pitch, roll motion, z, c control left turn right turn, space, left shift control up and down, can you tell me how to set? Thank you! The best is to have a screenshot for my reference!

Thanks again for your reply!:)

50. ProfessionalAssets

ProfessionalAssets

Sure thing! Unity's Input System is a bit tricky to use; here are some screenshots that can help you out!

On the PA_DroneAxisInput script set the Input mode to Custom, then fill in the text-fields with the input axises in the screenshot.

(These are the default input axises used by the Desktop input mode)

Next lets create a new input axis for Q & E, First head to Edit > Project Settings > Input Manager...

Then we'll create a New input axis by Duplicating one of the existing input axises

Next lets rename the duplcated input axis to "Turn" and set the positive and negative keys to Q & E

(You should also remove any values from the alternative button text-field)

Lastly we want to use our New input axis to turn the drone; do this by entering the name of the New input axis in the Turn text-field of the PA_DroneAxisInput script.

Please give this a try and let me know if your able to get it working!