Search Unity

New products and prices coming soon

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by SaraCecilia, May 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orb

orb

Yeah, and paying in Euros may turn out to be cheaper for some. If I get the monthly price I've calculated when the new plans are in place, it's about 1/6th cheaper. Basically the VAT difference.

It's been over an hour already. When can we sign up? :p

2. Tunkali

Tunkali

I am ready for Plus Membership! :D

Thanks Unity!

Or in other words: Shut up and take my Money!

3. tiggus

tiggus

I'm glad this worked out! Much more reasonable.

4. henriquefaria

henriquefaria

Amazing news! Thank you so much for listening all of us here.

5. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

6. arkon

arkon

Thanks Unity for listening. I never wanted to be a free user in the 1st place after my couple of years with pro, but the splash screen killed plus for me.

Time to vote with my wallet, I will upgrade from free to plus. Thanks again for listening but can I suggest before you announce ill conceived ideas like the first attempt you email a few thousand of various users first with the proposal and get some feedback first before alarming the community needlessly. Find some way of canvasing opinion.

I should add, can you give some thought to people in countries with balmy bonkers exchange rates please. Here in Australia when we were at near parity with the dollar your prices were ok, but the rate goes up and down like a whores knickers here, mostly for the worse. Currently its about 40% over parity.

7. Wild-Factor

Wild-Factor

8. milagem

milagem

I'm happy with the Unity Plus changes.

9. Parallaxe

Parallaxe

This can't be real. A company that is actually listening to its customer base AND even revise pricing plans based on that feedback? No ... this can't be real. No way. Things like that only happen in commercial fairy tales ...

;)

Wow ... awesome. Count me in as another happy and loyal Plus customer when the new pricing plans go live. Kudos, Unity crew.

10. nicktringali

nicktringali

Thanks for listening to feedback! The revisions look good.

11. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I like the new Plus package. I would like to know more for 5.X Pro perpetual customers (Unity5 + iOS + Android) switching to Plus. Will there be a discount like in Pro package for some time?

12. Leoo

Leoo

Thank you!!!

13. Ostwind

Ostwind

Doubt it since the Plus is already a discount itself or around the same compared to the to old Pro upgrade price depending which platforms people had.

14. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Who knows... maybe Unity surprises us again with more good news!

15. spryx

spryx

UT is about to get a ton of paying customers

16. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Nice.
    Cheers.

17. wm-VR

wm-VR

;)

VERY GOOD!

Thank you! :)

As a single desktop developer this are very good news!!!

18. darkhog

darkhog

http://blogs.unity3d.com/2016/06/16/evolution-of-our-products-and-pricing/
    Those are certainly good changes, but I'm not entirely happy yet (though 98% happy).

To be completely happy, I wish you could customize your sub for Pro so you only pay for platforms you actually use. If I'm not a mobile dev, why should I pay for mobile targets? Conversely, if I'm a mobile dev, why should I pay for desktop export?

I'd propose to be able to select which platforms you will actually use when subscribing. When all platforms are selected (which should be default), the price would be as it is now.

But when deselecting certain platforms, the price would go down so you can pay either for all platforms or only those you actually will use.

Don't use desktop targets? Deselect them and save money.
    Don't want to export to mobiles? Deselect them.
    Don't care about consoles? Same deal.

jprocha101 likes this.
  19. Tanel

Tanel

It's in the blog post, existing Pro license holders can get the Pro sub for 75$ a month for a limited time or go for Plus at the regular price.

20. 00christian00

00christian00

Was planning to use the free version to publish my game, cause after two years of full time solo development I'm totally broke, but after hearing this news I'll go with plus.
    I hope many will do the jump like me! Best of luck.
    Many small purchases can be better than few big ones, as microtransaction economy taught us.

salgado18 and quantumsheep like this.
  21. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

Plus is now perfect for me. Will be subscribing.

22. Tanel

Tanel

It's clear they want to consolidate all the platforms, so this is not going to happen. And come on, they have like 24 platforms. Do you think if you only want Plus for one platfrom, a buck and a half per month would be a fair price?

23. Teila

Teila

Thanks Unity! Something for everyone. Love that we can customize our splash screen in the Personal Edition. That was an unexpected treat. :)

We can't jump to Plus yet, but raising the cap on Plus was brilliant. It gives developers a bridge before they have to pay for Pro. I have already heard friends saying how helpful that may be in the future.

We will certainly consider Plus in the future. :)

quantumsheep likes this.
  24. Ostwind

Ostwind

They also explained it few times and in short it's not a good business model and probably also saves on the tech side to not have to maintain some per platform licensing system.

25. darkhog

darkhog

Please re-read the post. It's not about existing pro customers, it's about new ones. If I don't want to develop mobile games, like, ever, why should I pay for mobile target? Or if I develop only mobile games, why should I pay for desktop export?

26. wm-VR

wm-VR

31.32 EURO for Europeans :D
    (excluding VAT)

27. darkhog

darkhog

No, but something like $19 would.

28. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Do you earn >200k?

29. darkhog

darkhog

What does that have to do with anything?

30. kB11

kB11

Really good changes!

I love that we will be able to customize the splash screen to a degree now, and Plus is now a really attractive option.

We will continue working with the Personal Edition for now, but we are much more likely to purchase a Plus subscription because of these changes. Especially if our game promises to generate some decent revenue.

Teila likes this.
  31. mdrotar

mdrotar

Wow. This new new pricing looks great. They've even gone beyond the demands of the angry mob. The semi-customizable splash screen for Personal Edition is a great idea. Unity Plus is now perfect for small teams and individual developers hoping to go pro. The transition offers for Pro are a little weak but given that they've upped the revenue cap of Plus to 200k, it's probably a fair trade.

It's reassuring to see they got Unity Plus done right. But there's still the buggy engine and repeated feature delays.

Regarding Pay-To-Own Pro. If you stop paying after reaching pay-to-own, you stop getting bug fixes. It says you may still get "severe bug" fixes after you stop paying, but any bug can be severe if it affects you the wrong way. So even with Pay-To-Own, you're essentially stuck paying Pro forever. I still would've liked to see source code access be more accessible. Something like, get access to source code once you reach pay-to-own status in Pro. Or another idea might be to allow the user to select which 3 patch releases they want within 6 months of ending their subscription. Or, yet another idea, allow subscriber to continue Pay-To-Own where they left off within 6 months of stopping if they back-pay the months they missed. The point is, it would be nice if there were a way to not pay $1500 if all you need is a bug fix.

32. Moonjump

Moonjump

Thank you. Really positive changes that will make Unity stronger as it gains many more paying customers.

Unlike some, I am not worried about future price increases. I think the finances will improve under these conditions and any future deal could return to the previous trend of better deals.

One thing not clear, is it a rolling contract after 12 months? I hope so as it is better for the customer (flexibility) and the provider (higher retention).

A suggestion that doesn't affect me, but does several who have posted here: Could you give Unity 5 Pro users patch support after Match 2017 like Unity 4 customers got after the transition to Unity 5, or at least the same 3 patches customers will get after ending a subscription under the new revised and improved deal.

EDIT: Another suggestion: Let subscribers have a shorter minimum contract if they have previously subscribed for 12 months. I believe there used to be something like this when it first started. Perhaps limit it to existing projects, so it is used for patch support, but not for releasing new projects.

EDIT 2: Just like to reiterate, this is a great change that solves many of the major issues. I am likely to become a Plus subscriber unless there are some issues in the EULA.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  33. DavidByers

DavidByers

I just wanted to say thanks for listening Unity folks! You guys are the best :)

34. mdrotar

mdrotar

This sort of feels like a jab. Make no mistake, it was a price increase for most paying customers and this is still a price increase for those staying on the Pro license.

35. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Thanks Unity! I'm not sure when I'll be able to move up to Plus, but I do love a more affordable subscription model for those of us who are more in the early-indie or asset developer type scenarios.

I've been looking around but I can't see any indication of when the new subscriptions will be available for those moving from the free to plus type subscriptions. Have availability dates been announced yet for those of us who are currently not on paid subscriptions?

salgado18 and Teila like this.
  36. HemiMG

HemiMG

I didn't read it that way. I read it as them saying that people who were getting lower prices (mobile user) were happy, and others (those getting higher prices) were not happy.

37. movuk

movuk

Great changes!

I still think that under this model a better approach for the Personal Edition would be no splash screen and skin limit at all BUT limit the revenue cap to a really lower number like 10000$ cap.
    This change could solve the engine image problem and give you many plus users.
    Basicly it's force any little profitable venture into plus (and with 10,000$ to plus it like 4.2% of revenue which it completely reasonble) and any really profitable ventures into the pro one.

BTW: About the requests here, to differentiate the price according to export destination (mobile/desktop): this is not reasonable to ask.
    I'm actually completely agree with unity on this. from technology prespective, it's not easier to mantain the engine to work on desktop versus mobile (ios & android) AND almost every unity user is not exporting into both. so that differentiation will cut the final price in half...

38. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Now its not a price increase because devs with less than 200k income does not have to go with Pro, they get almost the same thing with Plus (except some services). So its a huge discount for all us who bought Pro, updated Pro or even wanted to buy pro with < 200k per year.

Teila likes this.
  39. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I wish I had this option when 5X version released and I paid 4500$ to get all of it. With this money I would pay Plus for 10 YEARS and 8 MONTHS! :)

kB11 likes this.
  40. mdrotar

mdrotar

I was probably just being too sensitive. They do go into details of the price increase in the post, which is good. But Perpetual Pro mobile devs still saw a price increase (unless they can drop down to a Plus license).

HemiMG likes this.
  41. Teila

Teila

Which is pretty much every Pro user who does not make less than $200,000 a year. If one makes over that, they should be able to pay for the Pro license pretty easily. :)

Ryiah and mdrotar like this.
  42. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Awesome! Very cool move, Unity! :)

I'll personally still be switching to free as I currently don't care for the splash. I'll miss the dark UI but in case I'll ever need it again I'll just go over to Plus.

Thanks a lot for listening to the users. (thumbs up)

43. Obsurveyor

Obsurveyor

But you are getting something for that $240 extra over 2 years: All platforms current and future. It's not a jab, it's fact because it was a price decrease for mobile devs.

44. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

This is fantastic news. The new Plus plan is going to be a big seller.

quantumsheep likes this.
  45. ophilbert

ophilbert

Will definitely switch from personal to plus, excellent and cheap way to start. Thanks

46. mdrotar

mdrotar

Again and again and again, no, it's not a price decrease for Pro mobile devs... unless you were paying the subscription for all platforms instead of the perpetual license, which very few people were. $125/mo over 2 years ($3000) is a higher price than the $2250 upgrade cost. And it's more than a $240 difference. And, again and again and again, if they want to increase the price, they can. They're giving lots of notice, offering discounts to those transitioning from perpetual licenses, many can drop down to Plus, and we have alternatives beyond that.

47. Karearea

Karearea

Well done Unity- another definite personal to plus user here.

quantumsheep likes this.
  48. quantumsheep

quantumsheep

I just wanted to chime in and say 'thank you'.

I'll be switching to plus (from 'free') in the next couple of months, and will be very happy to give you my (always diminishing) money!

Thanks again!

*Sheepyhugs*

QS =D

49. Ryiah

Ryiah

For those of us who don't need Unity Pro it's a bit silly to argue that the price tag is too high. We don't need it after all.

50. thylaxene

thylaxene

Thank you UT for figuring this out. I will now be a happy Unity Plus subscriber come March 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.