Search Unity

New Prefab workflows got worse. (Unity 2018.3)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JakartaIlI, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

Which of the new stuff that has been released (Out of preview) has been poorly tutorialized or has bad documentation? Genuinely curious. :)

2. Migrating an existing hacked-together project to the new Prefab system when you can't mass-edit your Prefabs in the scene. Which would mean you need to establish the proper workflow and move every single Prefab into the new system with proper override-structure. I see their point, but I think they either should not update to the new version or plan with the new workflow and move their Prefabs. They would have an easier time in the future with the proper prefab-hierarchy.

3. Player7

Player7

hmm let me see.. the 3.4 physics stuff as shown here https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/11/12/physics-changes-in-unity-2018-3-beta/ ... multiscene physics, trying to go through and get it all working without an example was off putting, the example image showing it working on a pool table would have been a good example for many use cases.

Not the first time unity has released a 201x.x update without an example asset to demonstrate new features.

4. Player7

Player7

I don't even check the documentation out of habbit of assuming it probably isn't there, updated or any good. Sorry but years of asking for improvements to the documentation have ceased to materialize, its not that it's bad its just not always that good either, neither does it support user comments wherein it could actually be good.

5. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

I would say for me the new prefab system is far worse and requires more clicks more time to adjust a prefab. nested prefabs should be an option and not forced on by default. for me this takes more time to do simple things then it would before in previous versions. this is such a big change to workflows. cheers

ThaiCat and protopop like this.
  6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I'm betting they'll just add the old functionality so the cake everyone has can be eaten too.

7. Murgilod

Murgilod

God I hope not. That'd make the asset store a mess going forward.

hippocoder likes this.
  8. BrandStone

BrandStone

For me the new prefab workflow is awesome. I can finally work on them in isolation. Did more work in 2 days that I did in two months.

Previously I had to drag UI assets into containers, be very careful on not applying them to other prefabs, etc.

I know it’s more clicks but it’s safer and quicker in the long term IMHO.

yoonitee likes this.
  9. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I've used it a bunch now, and I'm very much on the thumbs-up side of the fence. There are definitely some inconveniences for parts of our workflow which are based on the old system, but nothing that's too bad. Definitely outweighed by the benefits, and that'll be even more the case as we start designing new workflows around the new system.

I definitely agree here.

ASymShade likes this.
  10. Flurgle

Flurgle

Not sure this has been said, but here's a little trick:

You can replace a prefab with another prefab by dragging one from the project tab into the another one in the hierarchy, while holding down alt on the keyboard.