Search Unity

Official New Post-processing Stack (Pre-Release)

Discussion in 'Image Effects' started by Chman, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Martin_H

Martin_H

Glad to hear it :).

Hm, I'm on 5.6.3, but I'm gonna upgrade to 5.6.4 and see if it works with any version of the new stack. The MSVO does look nice, would be cool to at least A/B test it in my main project against the old stack.

Thanks for that link, there's plenty of other interesting stuff in it too!

2. FiveFingers

FiveFingers

I will post my experiment with the new stack and with the early version of Cinemachine done with Unity 5.4 a while ago, it was assembled all from scratch in one night!

3. StudioEvil

StudioEvil

Hi, i'm trying to make Depth of Field (Stack V2) working with any kind of water, but with no luck (Playway, Aquas, etc). Water is always rendered AFTER the DOF pass, so it is "immune" to dof (also to volumetric light). Is there some way to fix that? Or any kind of working water asset i can use?
    Thanks for your time

4. greg-harding

greg-harding

@Chman We've hit a few issues recently with the latest version of the v2 stack (Temporal AA with standard particle shaders on desktop causing artifacts, unable to build for iOS/Metal). We are planning the use of the new stack with our projects at the moment - it's easy enough to avoid the AA issue by using FXAA or SMAA until it's fixed or there's a good workaround, but we are wondering whether or not you are intending to get the stack working nicely on mobile before a final release, or will your focus primarily be on desktop and consoles first, with mobile being looked at after release?

bac9-flcl likes this.
  5. Marcurios

Marcurios

been trying to get this work for more then a week now, tried multiple versions and tried to install on multiple projects, but the postprocesslayer.cs script isn't there, there is no postprocesslayer component after install, and the script is nowhere to be found in each package i download, even older versions, so i was wondering, how can anyone use this, i see everyone saying that it looks good, but they must have a magically complete version i can't find anywhere.

so i tried to follow the quick install guide, but at the very first alinea i get stuck because of a missing script.

Does anyone have a complete version for me in here ?

EDIT: pfeww, the v2 Beta 3 package is complete..
    I literally have downloaded the 3 versions before this and they where all incomplete, and i read the forum and nobody complained about that, now what are the odds, i mean with a package this populair you would think people would say something about packages being incomplete.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  6. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

First you need to get Post Stack 2 :
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/PostProcessing/releases

Then check your console to make sure you don't have any errors

7. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

Can someone tell me where histogram and waveform visualizations are in V2? They are nowhere to be seen in the layer and volume inspectors now.

8. Martin_H

Martin_H

You need to add an extra component to the camera, that is called "post process debug". There you can activate the monitors and they will be shown as overlay in game-view.

9. Marcurios

Marcurios

Ofcourse i did that, and i loaded without errors, just a lot of missing scripts and files.
    I usually read a lot and search a lot on google before i even post on forums, and i do have some experience with Unity and game engines in general, know a bit about everything, usually enough to solve all my problems, but missing files i can't fix.

Anyway, i got version beta 3 up and running, and most fx do work, aside from Depth Of Field that is, i'm getting a black screen, i did go against the recommendation and put the FX to render on the default layer setup, but i figured that since this is a small testscene with not a lot of stuff in it yet, that should not cause any performance issues.
    Also, according to the quickstart page i should have a dropdownmenu in my added component called Rendering Features, it's not there, Toolkit and Custom Effect Sorting are there, Rendering Features is not..

Working with Unity 2017.1.1f1 here, no other FX loaded on my cams HDR off MSAA off, camera is on deferred.
    I do have a second camera (weapon cam) that gave me some rendering problems in earlier versions of Unity, but those problems have been gone since Unity 5 actually, would be strange if they'd return by installing the Post Processing Stack imo.

EDIT: just saw a vid that showed a totally different setup than the quickstart guide described, with a script called PostProcessBehaviour to add to the camera, that file is in the earlier versions i downloaded. So they might even be ok, the packages i downloaded, but your quickstart guide just aint accurate and up to date to reflect the current version or older versions being used.That explains a lot..took me some sweet time to find this..

So i followed the described steps, but the package is so different from the description, that it's kinda time consuming to find out how it works, glad i did though, cause the ones that do work now look nice, better Chroma Abo then i had before, and the AO looks good too. Now to get the DOF working, but i think that it has something to do with the second cam, i'll probably find out soon enough.

10. Marcurios

Marcurios

I tried it on a new project and Depth OF Field is working ok there, so it must be something in my test project, i'll figure it out, but wanted to let you know i got it all working, thanks for the stack, going to fidlle around with it now.

EDIT: got this error, prolly why DOF ain't working.

Shader error in 'Hidden/PostProcessing/DepthOfField': maximum temp register index exceeded at Assets/PostProcessing/Shaders/Builtins/DepthOfField.hlsl(153) (on d3d9)
    Shader warning in 'Hidden/PostProcessing/DepthOfField': floating point division by zero at Assets/PostProcessing/Shaders/Builtins/DepthOfField.hlsl(162) (on d3d9)

Anyone has an idea on how to fix this ?

11. f0ff886f

f0ff886f

Is your project D3D9? I thought D3D9 was deprecated in 2017.3 officially, perhaps try a newer GFX API?

12. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

Please add custom resolution option into scene view tab
    It will help us a lot to see real lighting quality in scene view without entering into play mode (same as Unreal Engine)

Untitled.jpg

13. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

UnityLighting likes this.
  14. Khena_B

Khena_B

I imported the Post Processing stack from the asset store and i get:

Assets/PostProcessing/Editor/PostProcessingInspector.cs(51,71): error CS0117: `Activator' does not contain a definition for `CreateInstance'.

Assets/PostProcessing/Editor/PostProcessingInspector.cs(52,28): error CS0131: The left-hand side of an assignment must be a variable, a property or an indexer.

Edit: Moved to my plugins folder where the Editor folder is and it works now.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  15. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

Anyone got an idea when development of the stack might resume? It's been quite a while since last commit to the repository, last answers to issue hub and last Twitter/forum activity on the subject (around beginning of October, I think). :)

16. STARFLEETJUNKY

STARFLEETJUNKY

Hi

We were having problems with the bloom in V1 .it had a really bad flickering problem. So we decided to move to the pre-release of v2 . The flicker is still there but not as bad. We are now having problems with nearly everything else .The Anti-aliasing doesn’t seem to do anything, the slider options on TAA have no effect. Same with the Motion Blur. The screen based reflections are causing odd artefacts. See images. I can get rid of them but then I get little to no reflections…. Also I’m seeing the reflection of the point light on the floors. I can’t remember if this happened in V1 but I don’t think it did…

Attached Files:

• 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      32 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      72.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      40.2 KB
      Views:
  17. Tycho

Tycho

I'm getting a black screen in my VR project when using v1.0.4 of the post processing stack in Unity 2017.2.0f3 when Single Pass rendering is enabled.
    Tried using beta 3 of V2 instead, but performance was terrible. The PostProcessLayer OnPreCull function was taking up around 25% of my total frame CPU time :eek:

Had to downgrade to 2017.1.2p2 to get v1.0.4 working as intended.

18. Desktopdaydreams

Desktopdaydreams

Morning folks, just thought I'd add to what we've seen here and to mirror what @STARFLEETJUNKY and @Tycho mentioned.

Running 2017.2.0f3 we noticed very inconsistent results with the v2 branch of the post processing stack. Importing into a clean scene, FXAA anti-aliasing worked well however, SMAA and the temporal had no effect.

We had odd artifacts with scalable AO and Multi scale AO. We managed to get some ok results with very low values for radius and intensity.

Motion blur doesn't work at all, there is no visible effect regardless of settings. Although adding a debug layer to the camera and turning on motion vectors, it did seem to be processing motion.

Screen space reflections seemed to be broken as there is little to no reflections compared with v1.

Most of the other effects seem to work as intended.

Further investigation into Anti-aliasing, we noticed turning off VR support in player settings seem to rectify the problems with SMAA and temporal. It may be a current limitation of the v2 branch. Due to development constrains we have't done any further testing but we have reverted to v1.

19. ddangelo

ddangelo

Hi folks,

quick question. I'm using the post processing stack and it works fine in the editor. When building the app (win standalone) the effects do not work anymore. Do I need to add all shaders to the "Always Included Shader" list? Shouldn't this be automatically detected, since I have the respective classes in my scene?

Thanks,
    David

20. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Are you using V1 or V2... Using V1 should work out of the box ( pretty sure it is the same for V2) !?
    I did import the one from GitHub in a project and just build it and it is fine for DX11 !

21. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

Am I alone in thinking that either the person in charge of this asset no longer works for Unity or that Unity has abandoned/postponed this post-processing development? The GitHub hasn't been updated in month.
    And no activity from the OP in a month. Nothing in the Roadmap pertaining to post-processing. I don't know what to think or anticipate at this point.

22. hopeful

hopeful

Could be a long vacation or illness, but sure ... a valid question.

Desktopdaydreams likes this.
  23. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

I think it's just a well-deserved vacation, nothing ominous to worry about. At least, that's what I gathered. :)

It's not a one-man project, but developers like Keijiro probably switched to other projects until Chman gets back.

24. ddangelo

ddangelo

I used the version I got from the Asset Store. I'll try the version I get from GitHub.

Thanks and best regards,
    David

25. iMove

iMove

Hey, just ran into the same problem. [Camera Rig] prefab has 2 cameras. I added postPost Processing Behaviour component on Camera (head) and it wasnt working. I fixed it by turning off camera component on Camera (head) and put my post Processing Behaviour component on Camera (eye).

Note: Color grading (which i needed the most) works, but Vintage did not.

26. SniperED007

SniperED007

Latest version of Post-processing Stack v2 doesn't build to UWP:

Assets\PostProcessing\Runtime\PostProcessManager.cs(71,25): error CS0103: The name 'AppDomain' does not exist in the current context
    Assets\PostProcessing\Runtime\PostProcessManager.cs(80,34): error CS1579: foreach statement cannot operate on variables of type '?' because '?' does not contain a public definition for 'GetEnumerator'
    Assets\PostProcessing\Runtime\PostProcessEffectSettings.cs(26,41): error CS1061: 'Type' does not contain a definition for 'IsSubclassOf' and no extension method 'IsSubclassOf' accepting a first argument of type 'Type' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    Assets\PostProcessing\Runtime\Utils\RuntimeUtilities.cs(489,27): error CS1929: 'Type' does not contain a definition for 'IsDefined' and the best extension method overload 'CustomAttributeExtensions.IsDefined(MemberInfo, Type, bool)' requires a receiver of type 'MemberInfo'
    Assets\PostProcessing\Runtime\Utils\RuntimeUtilities.cs(490,23): error CS1929: 'Type' does not contain a definition for 'GetCustomAttributes' and the best extension method overload 'CustomAttributeExtensions.GetCustomAttributes(MemberInfo, Type, bool)' requires a receiver of type 'MemberInfo'

27. freedomize

freedomize

Why FXAA in V2 doesn't have quality presets like in V1?
    It would be great if we could reset trackbolls in color grading tool.
    Imho all default effects should be attached to the post processing profile by default. With the ability to remove them later.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  28. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Agreed, it does save a lot of needless clicking each time. Mostly you don't want to strip all your effects each time you enter a new volume either.

We just duplicate though, saves time.

29. Carpet_Head

Carpet_Head

I can’t seem to get ambient occlusion working correctly with SPSR and steamvr in 2017.2, the effect is weirdly offset to the left. It works fine with the oculus sdk

30. ksam2

ksam2

I'm using Unity 2017.1.1f1 and get below error.

RenderTexture.GenerateMips failed: render texture does not have mip maps (set useMipMap to true).

It makes me crazy please fix it.

31. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

32. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It is fixed in 2017.1.2 (for me). Get a patch ?

33. renman3000

renman3000

Hi there,
    I am using Unity Technologies, Post Processing Behaviour. It works fine in my editor, but I just built out to HTML5, and it seems that the camera, with the effect, has vanished.

Any ideas?

Thanks

ps. I hope this is the right thread.

34. xrooshka

xrooshka

Hi all! I've just tested postprocessing stack V2 and I'm impressed with all of the improvements. Color Grading looks easier to use, bloom gets much more better, diffusion option works beautiful. Multi Scale Volumetric Obscurance looks amazzing and only one thing to make this ideal is color. SSR works better than V1's do, but...

But I've got some overdarkening.
    SSR off || SSR on
    V2_SSR_1.jpg V2_SSR_2.jpg

Is it a bug, or maybe I do something wrong and it can be fixed?

[UPD]

Oh my god! This strange effect is produced by using AO and SSR at the same time. Switching AO off just fixed that. I think it's a bug.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  35. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

Unity updated the post processing stack asset today (Nov 27). But something's not quite right. The version is still reported as 1.0.4. Shouldn't the new version be 1.0.5? And the downloaded unitypackage today appears to be the same as the unitypackage from August (same checksums).

36. Fera_KM

Fera_KM

A question regarding the V2 branch, using multiple global volumes.

How do I know which color stack is processed first? Is that the priority? Higher priority equals earlier processing?

37. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

I just reported the asset using the "report violation" button, because I don't know how else to get Unity's attention.

The asset store reports the item was updated Nov 27, 2017. However, the version was not increased. It has remained as 1.0.4. Also, the downloaded package is the same as the previous version from August. Nothing has changed.
    ppasset.png
    Is this an error?

38. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Maybe they just updated the text on the asset description. You can get the latest version of the post processing direct from github.

https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/PostProcessing/tree/v1

ArachnidAnimal likes this.
  39. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

V1 or V2? you have to use the drop down.

40. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

If that's what that date represents then I guess there is no problem. I thought maybe they accidentally re-uploaded the old package instead of the new one. But according to the GITHUB, there is no change to v1. No real issue then.
    (In fairness, it is a tad confusing with that date being displayed there.)

41. Justinas_Ma

Justinas_Ma

While trying out v2 it seems that if I enable effects that create the necessity for final pass (Working with post-processing AA). The final pass always includes dithering. Is that working as intended? I found what to comment out to avoid dither, but can we hope for an optional checkbox for dithering?

42. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It used to be optional but it was decided that it didn't need to be optional. Is there a reason why you don't want it? It won't affect performance in any measurable way.

43. Justinas_Ma

Justinas_Ma

No, no other reason. Just prefer to shave off every unnecessary blit. But if you say that the performance won't be affected that much, it probably doesn't matter.

44. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Does it have it's own blit? I would've thought they'd combine that somewhere.

45. Justinas_Ma

Justinas_Ma

Well no, but sort of. I was using SMAA from post-stack and when using it, the post-processing stack flagged that 'FinalPass' was necessary, even though the AA passes themselves were not in the 'FinalPass' buffer. And the only thing applied in the FinalPass buffer was Dither. So I got the extra blit, but it's not necessarily because of dither itself.

As far as I see from the conditional needsFinalPass. SMAA explicitly enables final pass, but nothing specific inside it. So I assume originally it's supposed to have dither as one of its passes?

46. jihedovsky

jihedovsky

just wanted to vouch this request because a lot of people are looking for the answer for more than a month

47. dadude123

dadude123

Hello guys.

I'm not sure if I shouldn't rather open a new thread, but this is directly related to the post processing stack.

So the older versions had different settings for depth of field. Like at what distance to start and end.
    The new (current) one has those crazy "physical" measurements, like aperture and focal length...

I don't doubt that those physical measurements can be helpful for some people, but most of us (all?) make games and want as much artistic control as possible.

So since I'm making a game (not a movie or doing any post processing on videos), I can't work with that at all. No matter what settings I chose it won't work out how I want it.

It always has that annoying blur on close objects. And the controls that enable start/end of the blur are extremely sensitive, making it almost impossible to achieve a specific effect.

I want the DoF blur to start at 15m and then reach its maximum at 600m. I also don't want any "closeness blur" if that makes sense.

What can I do?
    I tried to calculate the correct values, I looked up what aperture and so on really represent but I just don't get it.
    Why make it harder?
    Why not even offer an option to simply use direct values? (BlurStart, BlurEnd) :(

Should I try to find and switch to a different DoF solution (which hopefully correctly integrates with the rest of the unity post processing stack, meaning its applied in the correct order)?

Or is there something I can do to get this to work as expected?
    Am I seriously the first person who has a problem with this?? :p

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    Lex4art and ArachnidAnimal like this.
  48. Justinas_Ma

Justinas_Ma

Yeah we needed the same thing. There is "Legacy cinematic effects" in unity asset store (by Unity) you can download them and find the legacy DOF there.

49. dadude123

dadude123

I'm aware of that, but unfortunately it has some problems regarding the order in which the effects should be applied. :(

Then there's also the issue of the old effects not being maintained anymore - which would normally be perfectly reasonable, if the new effects would offer the same options.

That's why I would like to avoid using the old effects.

edit: quoting myself here:
    I just searched the thread and it seems like the answer is a definite "no" haha.
    Two likes on my post already, plus at least 2 different people on the previous page (15) alone who find this irritating as well.

So judging by that, I feel like this issue should get a lot more attention. But that's just my personal opinion.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  50. Konst

Konst

Hello everyone. I have problems with v1.04 and VR(single pass) under Win10 Unity 2017.2.0p3 (64-bit) i can see a black screen only when postprocessing is enabled, today i tried V2 beta 4, and still have problems with bloom in VR... what do you guys using for production atm?