Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official New Post-processing Stack (Pre-Release)

Discussion in 'Image Effects' started by Chman, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Invertex

Invertex

I'd highly recommend just ditching UnityScript, there isn't any reason to be using it over C#, and now there's news they are getting rid of it, so better sooner than later.

Dennis_eA and Adam-Bailey like this.
  2. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

Does anyone know if this asset works in Unity 2017? If not, is it planned to be supported in Unity 2017?

Looking through the thread, it seems there might be issues running this on any versions of Unity greater than 5.5.

3. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

I am using V1 (latest github Version) for my game with Unity 2017.1 (p3 but also the versions before), and it works very well for me.

4. witcher101

witcher101

Motion blur aint working for me. How do you get it to work??

5. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

Works like a charm

6. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

I tried v1.0.4 of this asset for Unity 2017.1 and everything seems to working.
    One thing I noticed is that some of the new camera effects are not as robust as the legacy effects.

Example: the "Noise And Grain" and DOF are not as customizable as the legacy camera effects.
    Right now I'm running some legacy camera effects because the new one's aren't as good yet.
    Any plans on getting the Noise and Grain up to par with the legacy one?

nag.jpg

j

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    freedomize and Alverik like this.
  7. frankadimcosta

frankadimcosta

Unity 5.6.3p1
    Postprocessing stack 1.0.4

enabling abient occlusion, camera shows the shadow of hidden objects.

8. wilberforce

wilberforce

Just a guess, but maybe you have set the material of those walls as transparent? - so they are omitted when making depth buffer and the depths of objects behind them are used instead.

hippocoder likes this.
  9. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Had the same issue with the legacy fast diffuse shader. Changing it to the normal legacy diffuse just fixed the issue !

10. frankadimcosta

frankadimcosta

Turning off Postprocessing ambient occlusion, all is ok.

11. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Did Unity remove Lens Flares from the post process stack? How do you use them now? Thanks.

12. Invertex

Invertex

You need to turn on "Ambient Only" or "Force Forward Compatibility" on the Ambient Occlusion settings, no need to disable AO.

frankadimcosta and Alverik like this.
  13. Stardog

Stardog

Alverik and Vagabond_ like this.
  14. Alverik

Alverik

Nice! had to be Keijiro. The only thing is that this uses Compute shaders, which is not for some older devices (and needs Unity 2017, not good for people stuck with older versions).

From the Unity manual:
    Compute shaders in Unity closely match DirectX 11 DirectCompute technology. Platforms where compute shaders work:
    • Windows and Windows Store, with a DirectX 11 or DirectX 12 graphics API and Shader Model 5.0 GPU
    • macOS and iOS using Metal graphics API
    • Android, Linux and Windows platforms with Vulkan API
    • Modern OpenGL platforms (OpenGL 4.3 on Linux or Windows; OpenGL ES 3.1 on Android). Note that Mac OS X does not support OpenGL 4.3
    • Modern consoles (Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox One)

15. Elecman

Elecman

Happy with version 1.0.4 as the bloom looks much better now. However, the maximum AO intensity needs to be increased. A value of 4 simply isn't enough when a very small radius is used.

Also, adding screen space shadows would be nice too.

tapawafo, hopeful, Vagabond_ and 2 others like this.
  16. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Agreed contact shadows would be rather spiffy.

Alverik likes this.
  17. Invertex

Invertex

tapawafo, Elecman and Alverik like this.
  18. Solid_Metal

Solid_Metal

i tried this asset for mobile, while its working wonderfully on iOS (iphone 5s) , on Android on the other hand, the performance impact is unbearable, even with the same settings, and my android phone even have better spec

is there any way to "fix" this?

19. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Hi, i noticed that the DOF blur effect increases with increasing the game resolution (screen size)!
    Is this behavior normal (expected) !?
    Thank You!

20. frankadimcosta

frankadimcosta

YES !!!

you can find an older post sent by me. But I had no reply.

21. Vancete

Vancete

Yes, I'm also waiting for a solution for this.

22. flashframe

flashframe

It's probably worth filing a bug in the GitHub project. They are more likely to see it there.

23. slime73

slime73

frankadimcosta likes this.
  24. flashframe

flashframe

25. frankadimcosta

frankadimcosta

26. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

27. User340

User340

In an empty scene PostProcessingBehaviour is getting the following error:
    Invalid pass number (2) for Graphics.Blit (Material "PostFX - Depth Of Field" with 1 passes)

This happens when I enable Depth Of Field in the profile. Is there some setting somewhere that I need to change?

28. freedomize

freedomize

I didn't see the SSR effect in the Post Processing Stack V2.0. Will this effect be present in future versions?

29. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

It's in the works, you can get the "alpha" version here: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/PostProcessing/tree/ssr

Remember that it's heavy work in progress and it might not work in your project correctly.

Lex4art likes this.
  30. freedomize

freedomize

Thanks for the info. I just wanted to make sure that you did not remove it due to its impact on performance. I really hope that the new version will be better optimized (without loss of quality).

31. Ibuprogames

Ibuprogames

Hi!,

We developed several assets in the store that use postprocessing and we would like to know if future releases are included in the Unity installation or will they still be a separate asset?

Regards.

32. User340

User340

I fixed the error. PostProcessing Stack did not like being moved from the root Assets folder into a subfolder on my computer. Moving it back to the root folder resolved it.

33. Alverik

Alverik

Recently I've switched to single pass stereo VR and most of the effects don't seem to be compatible anymore (tried both v1 and v2). Many cause double screen (like AA, Bloom and AO), and color grading turns everything a fiery red after a few instants (both in Rift and Vive)... Is there a branch that has already been modified for single pass stereo? I've temporarily switched to Keijiro's KinoBloom and miniEngineAO and playdeadgames' AA (jitter set to uniform2). I also quick fixed the ToneMappingColorGrading from the Cinematics effects, but not sure if it'll be as easy to do that with the Post Processing Stack's effects... And, well, I've really gotten used to using the profiles (specially great for switching color grading), but I definitely want the performance boost from single pass... so if anyone can provide any advice it'd be greatly appreciated.

Oh, I'm using Unity 2017.1.0f3 if that helps.

Edit: Oh, I did not try the new v2 beta, I'll try it tomorrow. Really hope it works...

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  34. Teh_Lemon

Teh_Lemon

Hi all. Do I need to enable motion vectors on my static objects for the motion blur/TAA?

35. User340

User340

Feature Request: Have 2 ways to access the profile (profile and sharedProfile) and have it behave just like render.material and renderer.sharedMaterial. If you access .profile, you get a copy. If you access .sharedProfile you get the shared one. This will make it easier to tweak an individual camera without effecting others.

36. Adam-Bailey

Adam-Bailey

Have you used V2 of the post stack? The ability it gives to blend between different post regions may already achieve what you want to do.

37. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

I am looking at the AO and i think was working much better some time ago (in betas)...
    Has it been changed somehow and could this be improved... !?

38. Stardog

Stardog

The new version seems to be different. It seems more like the MiniEngineAO one which is a bit blurrier so you can't make it as small.

The one from the regular stack seems similar to how it's always been, just maybe some tweaks.

Lex4art likes this.
  39. Lex4art

Lex4art

Hehe, somebody implemented proper, very fast version of "Multi-pass SSAO" feature that I've requested some months ago - good, good.

Alverik and hopeful like this.
  40. Stardog

Stardog

It still doesn't seem "better" than the old version, just different. It's more obious that it disappears at the screen edge and doesn't do well in situations in between thin columns, or when something in front is overlapping, because of the high radius. It does work better for things in the distance.

They should offer both choices.

Alverik likes this.
  41. MuroStudios

MuroStudios

I downloaded the latest v2 from git and copied the PostProcessing folder into my Assets folder. However I don't have the file called PostProcessLayer.cs in there. Where is it supposed to be?

Can someone paste that PostProcessLayer.cs file here?

42. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

Try deleting the PostProcessing folder and re-importing.

If it's not going to help you then here you have it https://www.dropbox.com/s/75fga2azmesnb51/PostProcessLayer.cs?dl=0

43. MuroStudios

MuroStudios

Ah actually somehow I had managed to download the v1 version from the download site and the v1 version has different named .cs files. Now that I downloaded the v2 version I found the PostProcessLayer.cs file.
    Cheers!

JakubSmaga likes this.
  44. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

Remember to always delete PostProcessing folder before updating to the new versions!

MuroStudios likes this.
  45. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Getting this effect in 2017.2b9 (SteamVR project) any idea whats causing this?

upload_2017-9-9_20-34-0.png

46. Fairennuff

Fairennuff

47. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Hey, I cant find such a setting on the camera?

upload_2017-9-10_11-24-51.png

48. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

@Chman alright i know it's still wip, but just curious. The current ssr implementation seems blurry even in full resolution, is there a way to get glossy reflection?

49. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

No. That's not the purpose of SSR and for performance reasons sharpness is limited (especially since it now runs a lot better on consoles). If you need perfectly smooth reflections you should fallback on reflection probes.

hippocoder likes this.
  50. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I mean, if it's really fast, I'm not going to argue too much, especially if it also means it will generally be artifact free. But some contact hardening and specular elongation would be nice.

But again, an SSR that is fast enough to use and generally artifact free > any other feature I might want.

By the way, I did some tests, and there is some slight weirdness going on: I have a cube and a bunch of intersecting planes as "walls" and some weird SSR reflections seem to appear near the corners.
    ssr.jpg

But I realize it's kinda early, so whatever.