Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

New PluginInspector issues

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by bsanterre, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Xeir

Xeir

I can reproduce it using an older submitted version and the latest version. Quite simply, if I create a new project and import ONLY v 2.14j15a of my asset, then import 2.15a29a, it will create new files rather then overwrite.

Hmm, while typing this, it made me think. As I recall, I created a new project at some point in the past for testing and simply copied the source files into it and I ended up using it as the main folder, that would explain the differing GUID's. Sigh, probably the case.

2. gilley033

gilley033

I think you are right, there isn't an issue with the GUID being changed automatically. I now suspect my error occurred because of my DLL upgrade process (deleting the old file and re-importing it, which obviously assigns a new GUID to the file).

The solution is to manually assign the GUID so it remains static (at least until DLL re-importing is fixed), but there is still an issue. If other publisher's do what I did, or have gone about updating their assets in a way that results in new GUIDs for their assets, then the GUID of the assets on the users machine will depend on which version of our package they have. The only way I can think of to solve this, and it's the method I'll personally employ, is to instruct users upgrading from 4.x to 5.x to download/install the latest update for my asset store package on their 4.x project and then go ahead with the 5.x upgrade process.

Also, I may be mistaken, but there is no mention of the new reliance on consistent GUIDs on the new Asset Store guideline page. This change MUST be clear to asset store publishers. Most publisher's will assume that as long as the name of the asset is the same and in the same folder path, it will overwrite an existing asset from an older asset store package version. They may update an asset in the wrong way and change it's GUID, which will in turn introduce duplicate assets.

Thanks for your time!

SonicBloomEric likes this.
  3. bsanterre

bsanterre

Yeah, gilley033 summarized my situation. I will re-work on the way I create my packages, and find a way to remain backwards compatible with older versions, but this change needs to be documented.

And I will use AssetDatabase.RenameAsset instead of File.Rename from now on ;)