Search Unity

New Playmaker Video Tutorial Series - Game Design with Playmaker and Unity

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by xtopher, Oct 29, 2011.

1. xtopher

xtopher

I've created a new video tutorial series called, "Game Design with Playmaker and Unity"!

- 13 videos offer over 4 hours of many "bread-and-butter" game techniques using the Playmaker plug-in for Unity3D
    - Covers many of the new features in Playmaker 1.2, including global variables, events, and more!
    - All videos available in 1280x720, in mov format
    - Starts with the basics of Playmaker and builds in complexity, so it's great for both beginners to Playmaker and those with some experience
    - Helps you get to the fun faster and easier in your own projects

Three of the thirteen videos are free! The rest will be available for purchase "very soon" either individually or in a bundle, all for a very affordable price.

00 - Introduction to Game Design with Playmaker and Unity
    01 - States Example 1 - Light Switch
    02 - States Example 2 - Open and Close
    03 - Triggers
    04 - Introduction to Variables
    05 - Breakable Objects
    06 - Platform Color Change
    07 - Global Variables, Events and Managers - Health Pickup
    08 - Playmaker and iTween
    09 - Pop Up Manager
    10 - Platform Puzzle Chest Opening Game
    11 - Access Control, Clicking and and Quests
    12 - Connecting Scripts to Playmaker

I've worked at several large game companies on titles for PS3, PC, PSP and Wii, and am now the Creative Director at my new company, Well Played Games. I'm really looking forward to making these available very soon!

SergiMD712 likes this.
  2. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Congratulations! I was lucky enough to get a sneak peak at these, and they are remarkably well made and informative - not just on Playmaker, but on game design in general. Great job!

3. nukeD

nukeD

I'm in!

4. Maurice-Hoffman

Maurice-Hoffman

Thanks beside some sample game concepts playmaker need this, i will become your customer.

5. xtopher

xtopher

Thanks for the support everyone! I think you'll get a lot out of these.

6. nukeD

nukeD

We will! I watched the preview chapters a couple of times, the pacing, voice intonation, knowledge and overall positive energy is great!

7. artzfx

artzfx

Ditto :)

8. Wentzel

Wentzel

This looks really Good.

Everything is professionally executed, No usual rubbish or Negative voice intonation as clandestine said.

Will support this series all the way. Do you have a CV with some of your work we could look at? i'm really interested.

Thumps up!

9. nukeD

nukeD

(bump)
    feed us some news Xtopher :)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  10. nukeD

nukeD

bumper

11. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

We'll be hosting these fantastic videos on the Hutong Games site in a new store that we hope to launch this week. Not sure if Xtopher plans to distribute them through other channels too, but we're very excited to get these out there!

12. nukeD

nukeD

Really cool news Alex!

13. xtopher

xtopher

14. nukeD

nukeD

Purchased!

15. dsurprise

dsurprise

very clear and easy step-by-step explanation! I'm glad that you made the tutorial series. Looking forward to seeing more in the future!

16. artzfx

artzfx

Half way through them and very good. Clear, concise delivery. Hoping there are more coming :)

17. xraller

xraller

These really brought PlayMaker into focus for me. Well Done!

18. DrPygameNewb

DrPygameNewb

Took a few minutes watching a couple tutorials, I thought about using playmaker so I could create a game faster, but its 100 dollars.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  19. xtopher

xtopher

Thank you so much for all the positive feedback on these, everyone! So great to hear they are proving valuable. If you have any suggestions for more, I'd love to hear them.

20. paul4tune

paul4tune

i bought this very good,
    could you possibly make one on controlling a third person with thumb stick and shoot buttons on iOS devices

thank you

21. xtopher

xtopher

Hmm... that's a great idea paul4tune! I was planning on an iOS controls series already, and I have a ton of professional experience working on console titles, so I'll strongly consider some Playmaker tutorials in that vein. Thanks!

22. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Will there come some new Tutorials from you and do you have an estimated timeframe for it?

23. xtopher

xtopher

I have a new Playmaker video tutorial series completed and available now! "Camera Motion and Control with Playmaker and Unity3d".

Thanks for all the support and feedback on these!
    http://www.wellplayedgames.com/products/

24. geothefaust

geothefaust

Hey there!

I wanted to say thanks for the videos, they are immensely helpful. Luckily Playmaker nodes are not much different than nodes in some CG programs, so with the help of your videos, I'm picking it up rather quickly.

I noticed someone else already mentioned, rather requested, that you do a video on iOS UI stuff... That in mind, I would prefer a more general UI design video with Playmaker instead, since pretty much UI design is UI design = Is UI design! ;)

PS - I know how hard it can be, I do video tutorials for some 3D packages myself. Keep up the great work and getting those videos out!

25. xtopher

xtopher

Thanks so much!

>Luckily Playmaker nodes are not much different than nodes in some CG programs, so with the help of your videos,
    >I'm picking it up rather quickly.

Yeah, node based stuff all feels pretty familiar. The first system I used like this years ago was based on custom nodes in a Maya hypergraph!

>I would prefer a more general UI design video with Playmaker instead, since pretty much UI design is UI design = Is UI design!

I've been wanting to do a UI series for a while, but there are a few things up in the air. Unity is slated to get a big GUI overhaul sometime (soon-ish?) so I don't want to spend a lot of effort and then have people spend good money just for it all to be irrelevant. I've been tossing around ways to do bits of this on a smaller scale though, which would remain valuable because as you said, UI design is UI design. :)

26. qatar1983

qatar1983

good tutorial and you worth the money ... 10/10

27. geothefaust

geothefaust

Likewise! The good ol' days. :)

Sounds like a wise decision. I was unaware of the upcoming UI changes. I sit eager to see more of your videos, UI and otherwise!

28. pneill

pneill

Folks, I just wanted to give an unsolicited shout out for this tutorial series. These are absolutely TERRIFIC screencasts. I have both series and really love them both. I've watched/purchased a lot of different unity training videos and this series is absolutely my favorite. Great work.

Xtopher, if you plan on doing another series, I would love to see something focused on using Playmaker to create an AI.

Anyway, great stuff. I enthusiastically recommend this series.

29. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Hutong Games is pleased to announce that "Game Design with Playmaker and Unity", 4.5 hours of high-quality tutorial videos by Christopher Orth of Well Played Games, is now FREE on our YouTube channel!

We love these videos so we're really happy to be able to share them.

The first few videos in the series are up now and we'll be uploading the rest over the next few days:
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC759306A1E692A10

Subscribe to our YouTube channel to get updates!

Cheers,
    Alex

30. Gunhi

Gunhi

Need more and more tutorial like that!!!! 10 out of 10.

31. xtopher

xtopher

Thanks! So glad you are enjoying them.

32. TheRagMan

TheRagMan

xtopher thx for your tutorial series, your laugh and your "that's cool" was amazing eheh
    any chance to have a quick tutorial about doing a chessboard?
    i cant figure out how to moving pieces only on snappoint and doing the board manually is freaking me out with local/global vectors...a huge mess...
    i believe this can be very easy(but is my second day :) ) but it's an important starting point to some vg genres. btw Thx a lot! im italian your english,tone,flow are perfect, really balanced lesson between dummy and pro, flawless victory.

33. rockysam888

rockysam888

1. Where could we download the tutorial package files?
    2. Is only "Game Design with Playmaker and Unity" Free? Or , are the other series free too?

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  34. xtopher

xtopher

Scene/object files can be found here: http://www.hutonggames.com/tutorials_game_design_with_playmaker.php

They are all free on YouTube! Enjoy.

Quick Tips
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA9A956853772087B&feature=plcp

Game Design with Playmaker and Unity
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC759306A1E692A10&feature=plcp

Camera Motion and Control
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC6A20FADF0C7D4FB&feature=plcp

iOS Fundamentals
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD8AAC983AAD87D01&feature=plcp

… and many more are coming! Keep checking the PlayMaker Channel on YouTube, or subscribe for updates.

35. xtopher

xtopher

Thanks! I try to keep it both fun and informative, and cut out the rest.

Hmmm... that's a great suggestion. I'll consider doing something like that. It's really two parts. There is the mechanics bit, where you set up piece movement and such, and then the game rules part, which is a whole different beast! If you want a jump start on some similar basic mechanics, check out the videos in my iOS fundamentals series that have the rolling cube/die in them. It's a basic example of how to move an object a fixed amount every time in any given direction while also checking to see if it's over valid geometry. In those instances it's to see if the cube will fall or not, but you could modify that check and do it before the move (rather than after, as I did) to see if there is another game piece there. If so, you can figure out what type of piece it is, and then what rules and actions should be applied/taken.

Check out vids 10, 11 and 13 in this playlist to see how I did that:
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD8AAC983AAD87D01&feature=plcp

Please note, my examples are kind of crap because I was showing iOS interaction, not chess board-like movement, but it's a solid start to explore! :)

36. Nabil_fx

Nabil_fx

I need to learn how to make a simple game from the begining to the end, with Playmaker. this tutorials are ok, but we need to now how to make the Health, Score, Lifes, Countdown, Character Idle, Walk, Run, all conected each other with Playmaker. Is this possible???

37. xtopher

xtopher

SergiMD712 likes this.
  38. Sven_7

Sven_7

Just bought Playmaker -- your tutorials are well done. I am currently on Tutorial #7 (health manager), and since GUI text is deprecated, I have tried to use Canvas with a text child but the text does not change to 50 when I press Start. What am I doing wrong?

39. Purumo

Purumo

A very good learning cycle. Thanks!