Search Unity

New Players / DAU / Retention analytics completely broken

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by Aurigan, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Aurigan

Aurigan

It seems like tracking players is completely broken at the moment. DAU / sticky factor / retention/ sessions ... all basically garbage :(

I have a (WebGL) game on Kongregate, Over the last few days I've had ~10k new players (verifiable through Kongregate analytics and Playfab which the game uses). UA shows single digit or low double digit numbers of new players for each of the last days when it should be showing several thousand.

What's especially weird is that custom events look like they might be right - seeing thousands of hits/day on some of them.

Please fix this! Thanks!

2. rayw24

rayw24

@Aurigan,

I'm sorry to hear that our analytics aren't working correctly :( could you please private message me your appID or submit an Analytics support ticket so I could take a look at this for you?

Thanks!

3. Aurigan

Aurigan

ummm I think I did the private message thing ... is that the same as 'conversation' ? LMK if not!

4. Aurigan

Aurigan

Bump! More than two weeks later and this is still totally broken. @rayw24 let me know he was on holiday and the issue has been handed over, I also submitted a ticket a week or so ago.

5. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Aurigan

We have replied to your support ticket. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

6. Aurigan

Aurigan

Bumping this as the issues remain even in the supposedly fixed 5.4.1p1 :(

Looking at past several days of analytics shows no data at all in the last 36+ hours, last updated of 8 hours ago. This is with thousands of players playing the game every day.

7. rayw24

rayw24

@Aurigan

We've identified the reason for undercounting user related issues: We use unique user ID's to track user-count related metrics. However, WebGL userID's were malformed and not unique in Unity 5.4 causing us to significantly undercount these metrics.

We made a fix in Unity 5.4.1p1 that generates unique user ID's which should fix this issue. However, the unique user ID's will only be assigned to new users and not existing users. We still trying to find a way to address this issue.

Thank you for your patience while we work on finding a fix :)

erika_d likes this.
  8. natepacyga

natepacyga

I am in the same boat as @Aurigan. I am using Unity version 5.4.1f1 exporting a WebGL version with the game being hosted on Kongregate as well. I should be seeing lots of events and funnel data and I don't see anything and it's been 5 days. If I upgrade to 5.4.3 will that fix it?

9. Aurigan

Aurigan

10. natepacyga

natepacyga

Oh god... Thanks for the word up on that Aurigan! Really too bad about analytics on WebGL though. It would be really helpful to have it. Are you using another analytics platform that has funnels in the mean time? I don't have anything yet.

11. Aurigan

Aurigan

I still have UA running in the hope that one day they'll get their act together (months without a fix is not acceptable) but in the meantime have switched to Game Analytics which works just fine.

12. natepacyga

natepacyga

Great thanks for the recommendation, I am checking it out now. :)

13. wintermute

wintermute

Bump on this issue. I've been dealing with wildly inaccurate retention numbers since we've started using playfab last year. My WebGL game on Kongregate was uploaded October last year and the analytics reports of Playfab (w/c uses user account login ids) have drastic differences to Unity Analytics. Was there any fix applied to this issue?

14. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D