Search Unity

Official New Performance Reporting Dashboard

Discussion in 'Unity Cloud Diagnostics' started by johng_unity, Mar 23, 2018.

1. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

The new Performance Reporting Dashboard at https://developer.cloud.unity3d.com has been released and has several new features including:
    • Time range selection
    • Improved searching and filtering of problems/issues.
    • Drill-down into individual reports
    • “Count of Users” impacted by problems/issues
    • Tagging of problem/issues
    • Marking problems/issues as closed
    If you have any feedback with regard to the new dashboard, feel free to to reply to this thread or send email to perfsupport@unity3d.com.

UPDATE 3/29/2018: We've also just released an updated "Manage Symbols" page underneath the "Performance" tab in left navigation. The new Manage Symbols page shows you the status of your symbol uploads. If you've uploaded symbols prior to February 1st, 2018, you won't see your symbol uploads here.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    junaid-malik-vucity likes this.
  2. srmatthe

srmatthe

It looks nice ... but :D

It seems very clunky to use.
    Clicking either of the sort-able columns (Count or Last Seen) causes a reload which takes you back to the top of the screen but doesn't actually change the sorting of the report table. To then apply the sort after the data refresh you have to click Apply which then causes another refresh and spring back to the top. The spring back to the top gets a little annoying when we're so used to content changing in situ plus the chart takes up so much of the screen you always have to scroll back down to see the actual reports.

We also used to be able to clear down the reports in there but now it seems we can only tag a problem ID as closed. I could do with clearing all logs at the moment so I can start some fresh recording as they're currently logged against a whole host of app version numbers while i've been playing with things and purposefully causing reports to be logged. The ability to delete reports, potentially as well as the hide\closed is essential I think.

If you tag a problem as closed then under the default settings it would be hidden from view. The issue there is that if another report comes in for that same problem (yep, we've all considered a problem closed at some point and woah, it rears it's head again) the closed tag remains and the further reports are hidden unless you specifically turn off the Exclude closed problems checkbox.

The filtering isn't that intuitive. If you select a specific problem and then try to filter on a field within that, the filter will present you with values that haven't necessarily been associated with that problem. e.g. Application Versions that aren't associated with that problem ID. Going back to the earlier bit it also means that without the ability to clear down old logs you'll always have those values in the filter options. Any filter added will also carry through from the main reports page to the individual report page. That's not too bad I guess but if you apply a filter within the individual reports page it also works up the hierarchy and remains applied if you back out to the full report listing page again.

Is there any way to switch back to the old version until this one becomes a bit more functionally sound ?

3. Nyankoooo

Nyankoooo

Need to agree with srmatthe! The new dashboard looks all fancy and new but is making things a lot harder than with the old one.

4. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

@srmatthe --- Thanks for the great feedback. We're looking at enabling a switch that will allow you to use the old dashboard until we iron out a few of the issues you raised.

5. srmatthe

srmatthe

Great stuff :)

Change is always a pain but with a few functionality tweaks it's looking good and useful.

6. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

Just a quick update. There is now a link to return to the old dashboard at the very top of the new dashboard. This link only will be there for a few weeks.

7. coshea

coshea

The new update is great and much more attractive on the eye, the ability to tag and mark as closed is great too.

I'd echo some of the comments above about reloading data when you change columns and not being able to delete issues. I like to leave this up during beta and then wipe the lot on launch day to start fresh.

If its the case that you mark an issue as closed, does it get tied to a version number, so if it happens on a newer version it untags it?

Another improvement I'd love to see is on the Symbols page. Just a list of version numbers you've uploaded symbols for to start with would be handy. Sometimes I don't see full stacks and realise I've not uploaded symbols, but the symbols page is a bit of a black hole at the moment.

^_^

8. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

@coshea --- Thanks for the feedback with regard to reloading data and not being able to delete issues.

Also, currently, when you mark an issue closed, it will not get untagged if it happens on a different version. We're looking into that.

Lastly, we just released an updated "Manage Symbols" page underneath the "Performance" tab in left navigation. The new Manage Symbols page shows you the status of your symbol uploads. If you've uploaded symbols prior to February 1st, 2018, you won't see your symbol uploads here.

9. srmatthe

srmatthe

Feels much more usable with the sorting and list options working directly now along with the page staying in place.

One more suggestion on the sorting. When the page loads the table is sorted by Count descending which makes sense. If you then click to sort by the Last Seen column its first response is to sort by ascending and this is then the case going back to the Count column.

Can it default to descending sort the first time a new column is selected rather than ascending ?
    I'd imagine that most people's likely sort preference would be descending so either highest count or most recent report is listed at the top when changing column sort. To get to that currently it's two clicks and two refreshes.

10. shochet

shochet

I did not see a way to search for a keyword in the new version. Is that still possible? Thanks!

11. coshea

coshea

Great! Thanks :)

12. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

@srmatthe --- with regard to your suggestion: "Can it default to descending sort the first time a new column is selected rather than ascending ? I'd imagine that most people's likely sort preference would be descending so either highest count or most recent report is listed at the top when changing column sort. To get to that currently it's two clicks and two refreshes."

We will fix that.

13. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

@shochet --- Thanks for raising that issue. It is not currently possible in the new dashboard. We agree that it is a valuable feature and will be working on adding support for that.

14. Gillissie

Gillissie

Am I just missing it, or is there a close button somewhere for marking an issue as closed? I see a way to add a "Closed" tag, but it's buried in the "EDIT TAGS" button, requiring extra clicks to close issues. Currently it takes 4 clicks to mark an issue as closed while looking at the details of it.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  15. Gillissie

Gillissie

It would be very nice to have a way to bulk close issues from the list. There are typically a lot of one-off native crashes on iOS with no useful information. Currently I have to go into each one and close it, a total of 6 clicks per issue to close it.

16. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

@Gillissie Thanks for the feedback. We will look into this suggestion.

17. nschrag_synapse

nschrag_synapse

Looking good, but a couple of requests:
    - In the problems list add columns for Platform and Application Version
    - Allow exclusion filters (I need a way to see multiple platforms in one list, e.g., I want to look at iOS and Android, but not WindowsEditor and MacEditor)

Vadimskyi likes this.
  18. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Is there any way at all to actually get symbols loaded? All the documentation seems outdated and I've wasted days trying to load symbol files. I can't even find a reference to which files need to be uploaded. I'm experiencing crashes only on OSX builds, not on the windows or linux builds of my game and the traceback is filled with "symbols missing for uuid: xxxxxxx". All I have to work with is the crash message of: "Native Crash - Mono JIT frame (Unknown File)"

... which isn't very helpful :(

I've tried uploading the .mdb files but it says "Warning: no image found" and I have no further information.

19. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

@DarkArts-Studios --- Could you email perfsupport@unity3d.com and include a couple additional pieces of information including the Unity version you are using and a link the problem in the dashboard?

20. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

@nschrag_synapse --- thanks for the feedback. With regard to adding columns for Platform and Application Version in the problems list, we probably won't do that because the same problem can exist across platforms and versions.

With regard to Exclusion filters, that feature is on our roadmap for later this year.

21. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Thanks, I have done so.

It would still be nice to find out how to upload symbols though is there any information on how to do this anywhere?

22. playspace_seat2

playspace_seat2

Is it possible to download the data? It would be great to do so in order to apply custom filters.

23. Immu

Immu

Hi, so far, that's cool new stuff, here's some notes though :
    Removing / sizing down the occurences field would be much appreciated, I don't use it much. and it takes a lot of space on the screen

And I have no idea how closed problems are supposed to be handled properly: I mean, i can fix something, then tag it as closed, ok. But what If the bug comes back two versions later ? If it's the same that is tagged as closed, I'm screwed, I won't see it unless I start to scroll into bugs tagged as close.
    Isn't there a way to tag a bug as closed but like..only for a specific application value ?

Also, same thing as I would love to see also in alpha bug reports, when you are in a performance bug report, the ability to directly go to the next or previous one without going back to previous page.

24. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

@Immu -- thanks for the feedback! We have a plan on our near term roadmap to "reopen closed issues" if they occur on a different application version. This has been something that several people have asked for. Will keep you posted.

We're also evaluating the other pieces of feedback you provided.

25. Immu

Immu

Ok, thanks!
    Oh, and still in bug reports, possibly already planned considering the alpha state, but It would be much easier to actually delete the report directly without going into it (which can be a tiring process, since that if we go into a bug report and go back on main page, the filters are lost and must be setted again).

26. Geminior

Geminior

@johng_unity While not directly related to the new page, we really need a way to get a proper stack trace with line numbers in builds.
    As far as I can tell this is currently only doable if creating a developer build, which we clearly don't want to release.
    There should be an option to include full debug symbols with release builds. A stack trace without line numbers isn't really all that useful.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  27. Geminior

Geminior

Filtering on Application Version is now broken. No drop down with valid entries appear, and manually inputting a version is ignored.

28. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Geminior! Our dashboard briefly experienced a bug where our dropdown fields weren't filtering properly. We released a fix yesterday for that so you should be good to go. Would you mind double checking if you're still experiencing the issue?

29. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Geminior --- Thanks for the feedback. You're right that line numbers are not currently available in release builds. We have an item in our backlog for addressing this for IL2CPP. However, there probably won't be a fix for Mono.

30. Geminior

Geminior

It is working as expected now, thanks.

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  31. Geminior

Geminior

Ok, and here I thought it would be as simple as including full debug symbols instead of partial.
    If that really isn't possible, might I suggest an option to build in debug mode, without a 'Development Build' watermark.

32. ludvig_10cc

ludvig_10cc

Any way for me to get these reports into Playfab?

Cheers

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  33. hogwash

hogwash

Do you happen to have an ETA of when we can expect line numbers in stacktraces for IL2CPP?

Thanks,
    Tom.

34. MihaPro_CarX

MihaPro_CarX

Last successful builds in Unity 2017.4.4f1 have next exception:

Exception occurred attempting to connect to Unity Performance Reporting service. Native symbols will not be uploaded for this build. Exception details:
    System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden.

I have access to Unity and Perfomance section. But upload process is "Fobidden". What could be the problem?

35. emilyn_unity3d

emilyn_unity3d

Unity Technologies

Hi MihaPro_CarX, if you can please PM me your project ID I can take a look at why it is getting that error.

36. sandic

sandic

is slack/webhook integration in the roadmap ?

37. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @sandic --- slack/discord/Jira/webhook integration for "New Issues/Problems" is on the Performance Reporting roadmap and should be launched this summer. If you have any feedback on specific things you would like to see in this feature, let us know. The current design will be to only report "new" issues/problems to slack/discord/JIRA/webhooks.

We're also working on weekly email summaries of issues, but that will be added after the "New Issue/Problem" notification is added.

38. mikaelkitola

mikaelkitola

Hi,
    About the number of "Users Affected". I suppose it's a count of distinct users across the period of time you are looking at and not a sum of distinct users from each day?

39. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

Yes, it is the count of distinct users affect across the time period selected. Note: we didn't start tracking distinct users affected until 5.6, so if you are using an earlier version of Unity you may not see an accurate count of users affected.

40. BBO_Lagoon

BBO_Lagoon

Would be great to be able to filter on multiple app version

41. MorenoBralts

MorenoBralts

It would be awesome to see some kind of crash-rate graph per released application version.
    Also a percentage of how many users experiences a specific crash would be nice.

42. NonPlayerCorey

NonPlayerCorey

Hi team, is it possible to filter by build number, not just version number?

43. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

Hi, I'm getting the same exception as MihaPro_CarX. Please advise.

Exception occurred attempting to connect to Unity Performance Reporting service. Native symbols will not be uploaded for this build. Exception details:
    System.UriFormatException: Absolute URI is too short

44. XMnt

XMnt

Hi,
    I wonder if you have notifications to email/phone when Unity has detected Exception/Crash rate grow?

Or do you have some kind of API that I can use for getting the info you have on performance reports dashboard so i can create a notification on my side?

45. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

That would be great. You could also get notified if there’s a ‘significant’ new issue related to a new build version.

46. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

Can you report a bug (through the bug reporter with your project attached)?

47. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi - we are working on a feature (currently in development) where we will have a notification when a new problem is found. It will work with our existing integrations (Webhook, Slack, Discord, JIRA) currently found in the developer dashboard under Settings/Integrations

We are also considering having a notification based on exception/crash rate but that is not currently in development. Thank you for your feedback on this.

48. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi - we are working on a feature (currently in development) where we will have a notification when a new problem is found. It will work with our existing integrations (Webhook, Slack, Discord, JIRA) currently found in the developer dashboard under Settings/Integrations

49. NEVER-SETTLE

NEVER-SETTLE

I don't see this written anywhere, does Performance Reporting provide me with line numbers when a crash occurs on a user's phone when using an Android app that I released in production to the Play Store?

Like this (from Crashlytics which only shows errors so detailed in NON production builds, a.k.a development builds):
    crashlytics.png

Can Performance Reporting provide a detailed call stack like this for production apks?

50. FrozenBotsStudio

FrozenBotsStudio

Hello!
    I think it is crucial to be able to send global custom data with the thrown error/exception.
    Typically like crashlytics offers, you should be able to add some global game state...
    I for example have over 100 levels, and I very much would like to know in which scene and at what player position the error occurred. I would then know which object has a missing reference... Now the only alternative is to manually add an exception myself for each script and case where the null might occur...