Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[NEW PATCH] uNature - GPU, Interactable Grass. Interactable Trees, MultiThreading and more!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ElroyUnity, Apr 29, 2016.

?

Pre-release Integrations

Poll closed Nov 29, 2016.
  1. TerrainComposer2

43.1%
  2. GAIA

54.9%
  3. GENA

49.0%
  4. World Creator

13.7%
  5. World Streamer

37.3%
  6. Map Magic

27.5%
  7. Landscape Builder

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. SkyMaster ( Weather )

7.8%
  9. InfiniGrass, AFS, DX11 (Integration will provide built-in shader support)

33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Curunir

Curunir

Did you figure out something? :(

ElroyUnity likes this.
  2. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Indeed :)
    Was able to reproduce but still can't find a solution as nothing comes up as a memory leak on the profiler and everything seems normal, it might be a memory leak on unity's side when you render 2 different displays because even if I remove the UNSeeker it seems to still leak.

So I am totally sure, will keep looking tho and let you know!

3. ZoneOfTanks

ZoneOfTanks

Just bought it to support development. Keep going please ;)
    When do you plan to release new version?
    We have new project to do and it has a lot of open nature scenes.
    Does uNature works with MegaSplat or CTS terrain shaders?

ElroyUnity likes this.
  4. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey!

Thanks a lot for your support!
    Definitely not stopping, I am now working on a really really huge update, I will give more details soon (Free update of course!)

Absolutely, can't see why not!

ZoneOfTanks likes this.
  5. ZoneOfTanks

ZoneOfTanks

That's just awesome! :)
    Next gen in Unity environment and new era in game development!

ElroyUnity likes this.
  6. gecko

gecko

I need to start setting up uNature soon...but should I wait for this big update? How soon is it coming? Or can I go ahead and set up my grass now, and then the update will be seamless?

ElroyUnity likes this.
  7. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey -
    You should probably go ahead and use the current version as I estimate that the new version will only be coming next month or even later on depending on how many features I will be implementing into that specific version.

The update probably won't be seamless as its kind of a remastering of the grass system, implementing new mechanics and pretty much changing how the whole system works but in a very good way. (Some teasers -> surface based grass instead of global world grass, much faster rendering, new shaders, basically everything fresh and better!)

Hopefully it will push uNature to the next level!

8. malkere

malkere

Elroy I finally narrowed down the problem. Using the store versions of uNature and MapMagic, with the latest UNMapMagic_Manager upgrade I can create a fresh project/scene/MapMagic/FoliageManager give grass placement a constant of 1 so it's everywhere. go out to 256x or 256z, and change the terrain resolution from 512 the default to 256, and the grass breaks.

I always run more core game in 256 resolution just to make it load faster for testing so it never worked with uNature + MapMagic. Turning it up to 512 it is working fine. =[ =] =[ =] =[ =]

add: well not "fine" a lot of it still floats all over the place, but at least it loads =o

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    Dwight_Everhart and ElroyUnity like this.
  9. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Ohhh I see, makes sense.

I will try and look into the store version integration of map magic and hopefully upload a fix version soon. I am rewriting everything grass related for the next version and so it will be much more stable!

malkere and ZoneOfTanks like this.
  10. ZoneOfTanks

ZoneOfTanks

That's a great idea if you release some final fixes and then continue to work on new version of uNature ;)

ElroyUnity likes this.
  11. Harekelas

Harekelas

Hey, is there a MapMagic compatible version in beta?
    If so, does it support MM's tree output? And since I'm using Advanced Foliage shader now, would like to block unature from reading and replacing MM's grass output, is there an option for me to do that, or how can I add this function?
    I also would like to try join the beta test group, how do I join it?

ElroyUnity likes this.
  12. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey,
    Not yet unfortunately still working on the new version which is kind of a remake of the grass system, once its done it will also have the trees integration.

The issue with integrating the trees is that in order for it to work you need to remove the trees colliders from the terrain and that can only be done manually from the terrain collider and so you cant do that through code. One idea that someone found is marking the trees' prefabs colliders triggers after generating your pool and then all you need to do is to add UNTerrain to each generated terrain (you could do that through the callback that map magic provide) and thats it (no need for integration)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  13. malkere

malkere

I'm running into this. I have uNature removed from my project for now because it doesn't work with MapMagic, but I still get this error every run. What has this altered that I can turn off?

ElroyUnity likes this.
  14. Harekelas

Harekelas

As for the trees, I found my own solution: I made 3 prefabs for one tree, one only contains model, one only colliders and one is the tree with scripts that can be chopped down step by step. I used an unity asset to link these prefabs together and use the model tree on terrain thus the terrain won't have any tree colliders and then redirect uNature to these collider prefabs through the asset that links them instead of copying colliders from the terrain tree prefab which current uNature does.
    So I have model trees without collider on terrain and collider prefab in uNature generated pools. This can solve trees with uNature perfectly in my case, and I only need to destory the the terrain tree and instantiate the scripted tree prefab when player hit a tree collider in the pool.

My problem now with uNature is the grass, I want to use AFS for my model grass. But uNature continues to read MM's grass output and preventing the details be drawn on newly generated terrains. And because I closed the grass option on UNSeer so there is no grass generated in UN's grass system causing the runtime generated terrains totally without grass. So I would request a function that can let me choose whether to replace MM's grass with uNature's grass system or not. Or can let me use afs foliage shaders on UN grass. A checkbox that let me choose which feature I want to use with uNature will be much more flexible than automatically apply everything (easy for new comers but not very useful for someone has specific needs).

As always, thank you for your quick respond and Cheers!

15. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

That's weird, a quick fix that you can try is add this editor script to your project, run it on the scene that throws errors and it should be fixed :).

(didn't test, so let me know if works!)

https://hastebin.com/hicahudima.cs

Oh I see, good approach!

The reason it happens is because you still have the map magic integration active, turn it off from the "Window/uNature/Extentions" window as you don't really need it for the trees, the integration only handles grass :)

It is absolutely my pleasure :)

16. malkere

malkere

Indeed it did! Thank you.

ElroyUnity likes this.
  17. Harekelas

Harekelas

Seems MapMagic locked the integration to be enabled, I'll see where does it do the trick...

ElroyUnity likes this.
  18. MonkeyPuzzle

MonkeyPuzzle

Hey .- Loving uNature. Great performance and results. I am having a weird issue with artifacts, though. I also see this type of artifacting in the project window with my trees, but it only shows up in-game occasionally.

The leaves of my trees and plants are blowing up into the sky?

Specs:

ElroyUnity likes this.
  19. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey!

Regarding the artifacts that you are seeing -> is that a mesh grass? if so, how many materials and meshes does it have?

20. MonkeyPuzzle

MonkeyPuzzle

[SOLVED : was using the uNature material on my trees - not yet supported]

It appears to be happening on tress right now. You can see some grass in the right side of my pic and it is OK. Here are my material settings -

As I mentioned it happens in the proejct window all the time.

I tried adjusting my alpha curoff, but that didn't seem to help - No LODs yet.

ElroyUnity likes this.
  21. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Oh, you shouldn't use the foliage manager with trees (for now), its only for textures and simply mesh grass (1 material and 1 mesh) similar to the grass requirements on the terrain.

For trees just use the normal terrain trees and add UNTerrain to your terrain (covered in the documentation)

in the new version I might be able to support trees through the foliage system, but it's really out of the scope. The main feature that the trees feature provide is the ability to interact with individual terrain trees :)

22. MonkeyPuzzle

MonkeyPuzzle

That did it! All good - I hope to get into interactive trees later, but working on performance first. Thanks again - great plugin, 5* you :)

The tree aspect is more than just interaction though, no? I though that the pool and sector system helped performance as well?

ElroyUnity likes this.
  23. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

hehe my pleasure! :D

Well the pool system (and disabling the tree colliders) help but really not by that much. I do hope to get a system like the foliage but for trees so you can get a huge performance boost for trees too but its a bit far away atm :/

For trees performance I would recommend assets like AlTrees (haven't been following it for awhile so not sure if its still alive but afair it worked well with uNature)

24. hopeful

hopeful

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    ElroyUnity likes this.
  25. raja-naveen

raja-naveen

Hello EE,
    we are having problem with uNature. Getting NullRef Error. Cant paint grass or see the grass which is already painted on terrain. re clicking on the grass prototype make it work for few moments and stops working after panning camera in the level editor. Please have a look at screenshot. and please help us, thanks

Current Unity Config: Unity 2017.1, 8KM x 8KM Terrain is generated using Gaia and CTS.

Attached Files:

ElroyUnity likes this.
  26. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey!
    What version are you on?

27. SciePro

SciePro

Hi,

we seem to have similar issues. We also have a 8x8 km large terrain based on Terrain composer 2. Unity crashes or the grass just disappears after passing a few chunks.

We´ve tried both, copying the grass from the terrain and painting it by hand.

We´re currently using Unity 5.6.0f3 , Unature 2.2.1

grass_test.JPG

Best,

Sebastian

ElroyUnity likes this.
  28. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey ->
    Are you using the asset store version?

29. SciePro

SciePro

Yes, just downloaded it today.

ElroyUnity likes this.
  30. wwg

wwg

I know this can be very subjective, but I'm looking for a best guess about improved grass performance.

Currently, I'm running my game on an Alienware Alpha (i3, 4gb). My scene is open/outdoor with a terrain of 2048x2048 with a thick forest containing thousands of trees (~30k-50k), etc. I'm getting good performance of 142 fps (7.0 cpu) with grass turned off (detail distance at zero) and then it drops to about 96 fps (10.4 cpu) with details distance set to 100. That's a pretty big frame drop for grass. My question is: how much, if any, can I expect uNature to reduce that fps drop caused by grass? What kind of fps gains have people been seeing on hardware similar to mine?

Thanks!

ElroyUnity likes this.
  31. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

I'l leave that for other people to reply :)

32. raja-naveen

raja-naveen

Hello EE, we are on asset store v 2.2.1

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    ElroyUnity likes this.
  33. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Fair enough :)
    Please send me your invoice and skype privately, I will do my best to get it fixed asap!

34. wwg

wwg

Can anyone comment on increased frame rates over Unity standard grass?

ElroyUnity likes this.
  35. malkere

malkere

Absolutely. Standard grass doesn't compare at all. For my project which is procedurally infinite, there are still problems with the package preventing me from using uNature, but when it works it works very well.

ElroyUnity likes this.
  36. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Happy to hear :D
    New version is coming along well, I have to admit, you can't even compare the two. performance and ease of use wise. I will try my best to get some more details out soon enough!

37. raja-naveen

raja-naveen

Hey EE, Thanks for helping out on Null errors, Even though there are couple errors after our session, Overall The fixes you made are very stable. Here is what i got to made with uNature with half a day of tinkering. i know there is lot to do in the scene but hey its a good start. Thanks to your plugin! Lots of love from my team.

Attached Files:

ElroyUnity likes this.
  38. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Happy I could help!
    Looks really good! I would also recommend using HBAO as it makes the grass so much more detailed and nice with almost no cost at all!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  39. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Hi Elroy, Have you seen the world manager from Adam Goodrich? Do you have any plans to implement that within uNature? with it being a free asset it would stop the need of implementing all the others or at least the ones supporting it.

ElroyUnity likes this.
  40. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey,
    Looks pretty cool! maybe in the far future though :). Way too focused on the next version and fixing the current integrations hehe

AndyNeoman likes this.
  41. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Great, would be a easier way to link all possible weather, terrain, shaders in without having to do each separately. I am going to take a look at doing it for the wind and grass colour properties. Also maybe someway off having a wetness setting on the grass so it changes colour when it is raining.

ElroyUnity likes this.
  42. Stormy102

Stormy102

@ElroyUnity The time has arrived for me to finally integrate uNature. When is this big update scheduled to drop?

ElroyUnity likes this.
  43. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Absolutely! :D

Not yet unfortunately, will take some more time as It's quite a big one (complete refactor of the foliage system) and also quite busy with overall life stuff.

But It's coming, will try to post some more detailed update posts when I have something to show :)

Stormy102 likes this.
  44. Stormy102

Stormy102

Sounds like its worth waiting for. Guessing these are some nice overhauls? :) I've got plenty of other stuff to get on with in the meantime, so no rush :D

ElroyUnity likes this.
  45. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Oh definitely!
    Finally making it surface based, so you could seperate foliage on certain surfaces and make them move and what not.
    It will also allow multiple layers and much much faster rendering.

Further more I am adding some more features (all of features from UE4 are included and more) -> got that request a lot.

And trying to make it overall better! As stated before, will have something to show soon, but at the moment I don't have much :)

Lohrion and Stormy102 like this.
  46. Stormy102

Stormy102

Trying to remember from my limited experience, but do wind zones interact with the grass?

ElroyUnity likes this.
  47. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

At the moment no, but that's one of the plans :)

Stormy102 likes this.
  48. wood333

wood333

I have been learning uNature and enjoying it, but something new has come up and I need advice. I have an area of unity terrain with uNature grass installed. the grass conforms nicely to the terrain, but I need to depress an area of the terrain to create a swamp. When I depress the terrain, the uNature grass does not follow the depression.

Is there a way to have uNature grass move lower with the terrain? Do I need to reset uNature, and if I do will I lose the grass already placed?

ElroyUnity likes this.
  49. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey ->

This should already be working -> all you need to do is have a UNTerrain on your terrain (disable the trees part if you don't use it)

50. wood333

wood333

I'm using Unity 5.5.2f1 and probably not the most recent version of uNature, but I have the UNTerrain component on the terrain, and except for this issue, the system has been working fine.

I have some Unity trees and some speed trees that were attached to the terrain prior to uNature. There are no trees in the areas where I have attempted to lower part of the terrain. I have not used the tree part of uNature.

ElroyUnity likes this.